"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Apr 30, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #5,567 of 6,388
Thanx for the reply and saving me $29.99 + shipping.  :wink:  They of course sound great but I could not help check if they could be even better.

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #5,568 of 6,388
Quote:

They aren't "semi-open." They are closed and very good isolated. Secondly, they are not bass-head hp's...no.  This is audiophile bass. They are not like a Q40, d2k, dt990 even for bass. They are more similar to lcd2 and he400 on bass for the current build.

agreed, I feel the dt 990 is way to bassy for alot of music, although the mads dogs where not as tight as the 990... they where a little more laid back in tightness and presentaion. Good to hear the newest revision tightened the bass up even more. 

May 1, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #5,569 of 6,388
Quote:
Quote:
I didn't receive the newsletter, could you please send it to me?
Also, how long would it take and how much would it cost for a tune up to the latest revision?

Turnaround time will probably be quick, 2-3 work days.  If a lot of orders come in I will do a wait list and send notifications.  I don't want people sending phones in and have them sit while we get to them.

Here's the newsletter in PDF for those who didn't get it...  

Excellent news, I'll have to send these off when I go on vacation sometime. I don't think I could go without the MDs that long otherwise! 
eek.gif

May 1, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #5,570 of 6,388
Although I appreciate the transparency about the recent tweaks, I think it's rather uncool to have 3 different versions available in such a short period of time (about 2 months, give or take). An international customer like myself is looking at paying an additional 20 to 25 percent of the original value in order to have the latest and greatest. My 2 cents, folks.

May 1, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #5,571 of 6,388
Although I appreciate the transparency about the recent tweaks, I think it's rather uncool to have 3 different versions available in such a short period of time (about 2 months, give or take). An international customer like myself is looking at paying an additional 20 to 25 percent of the original value in order to have the latest and greatest. My 2 cents, folks.

I completely agree. Us aussies get forgotten even though there's a decent market demographic over here.

May 1, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #5,572 of 6,388
Quote:

I can see how that would be frustrating. It has been about 4 months since I got my revision 3.0 pair. I'm spoiled in the fact that I live less 2 hours from San Diego so I won't have to worry much  about shipping cost/time. However, I purchased the Mad Dogs based on the current reviews of the time and decided that they were what I was after. I was pleasantly surprised to receive the Alpha Pads in their first batch instead of the Dog Pads and enjoyed the upgrades that came with them. While I now know that modifications have been made in the past few months to better the product, I already enjoy my Mad Dogs. They exceeded the expectations I had of them at the time of purchase. Even if I didn't plan on sending mine in, I would be totally happy with my purchase as is. My only real desire to have them Tuned-up is the Head-fi itch of curiosity and to put new stickers on (cause I'd rather not mess it up myself).  

Other companies would simply wait around a year or two and release a new version of the headphone with tweaks and have you pay an even greater price for a new upgraded headphone.(One random example being VModa's M-80 to M-100). Dan's offer to upgrade, and more importantly his suggestions on appropriate waiting times for upgrades, seem more than fair. How can we find fault in an option that almost no other companies offer? The simply fact that a send in to modify option is available to me is new territory. 

Unfortunately, not everyone in the world can be accommodated. Despite the fact that Dan has built his company from the ground up and is now expanding to be more accessible to Europe, his company is still a smaller sized operation compared to the big boys. I'm sure that in time he'll fine ways to make his products world wide. Until then, I would challenge you to find another headphone company that is so versatile in offering fantastic products at amazing prices, the ability to upgrade to your headphone at all, and that interacts directly with the community to provide one-on-one customer service -- I would dare to say that there are few others.

May 1, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #5,573 of 6,388
Even though it costs aloy to send from Norway I am just happy that Dan continue to evolve the product. Also I did have a feel that Dan would do more improvement when I bought it with the 3.0.

Unless you are unhappy I would not upgrade from 3.0 ---> 3.2. Love the Mad Dog and it gets alot of headtime over my open cans, and this is at home where noise is no issue. Was home working last day and was listening for 6.hours without pronlems or fatigue. Only problem had to be that I closed my eyes on nice.parts in the music the Mad Dog makes.

May 1, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #5,574 of 6,388
I'll consider everyone's rebuttals, but this is how I feel at the moment. I won't bother to belabor the point with anyone, as arguments often become unnecessarily heated to the benefit of nobody.

May 1, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #5,575 of 6,388
Quote:

Nevertheless it is a very effective marketing technique from the seller. 

May 1, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #5,577 of 6,388
I can certainly understand frustration on the part of anyone who just missed the deadline to get the latest build. But no matter when Dan  releases an upgraded product, there will always be a group of people who "just miss" getting the upgrade and latest build. If Murphy's law applies, and it usually does, I'm typically in that group. 
size]
 Bottom line is that the situation is unavoidable. 

Please also consider that Dan is constantly working to improve the product and could easily "sit" on new discoveries and roll them out at a more leisurely pace. TBH that would only benefit him. I appreciate that he wants his very best product out and nothing less. 

Understand that I'm not speaking for Dan but simply offering my opinion. 

May 1, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #5,578 of 6,388
What exactly is the difference between the latest Mad Dogs and the Balanced one that is up for pre-order, in a way that I could understand it better.  I haven't bought the phones yet, and pretty much have stalked this and other forum for a month now and have decided on getting one of these.  Like others mentioned here, I would prefer just getting the best between Mr Speaker's phones so if the new one will have an advantage, then why not get that.

May 1, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #5,579 of 6,388
What exactly is the difference between the latest Mad Dogs and the Balanced one that is up for pre-order, in a way that I could understand it better.  I haven't bought the phones yet, and pretty much have stalked this and other forum for a month now and have decided on getting one of these.  Like others mentioned here, I would prefer just getting the best between Mr Speaker's phones so if the new one will have an advantage, then why not get that.

Balanced will provide the MD's with more current and hence "better" performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back