"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Apr 12, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #5,161 of 6,388
Wow, is this going to happen again. Where is the thread on this topic? And are you not concerned about the ear pads being compressed 24/7?

There actually is no compression of the pads. I thought there would be, but no. The deal will happen again. It's on a group buy site though and the mods here aren't fond of us posting those links.

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #5,162 of 6,388
I can not find any omega stand that is in dark/brown to match the living room design so I use a black aluminium headphone stand  shaped the same as the omega ones. Costs around 30$ on ebay and other sites.

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #5,164 of 6,388
hmm can not find the ones I have as it ia from a local store. This is similar but quite pricey almost at the cost of the wooden ones. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Black-Headphone-stand-Support-For-Sennheiser-Beyerdynami-GRADO-Monster-/321056897547?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac07b7a0b

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #5,165 of 6,388
Quote:
If the wood aesthetic isn't a big priority, you can always get this for $28 with free shipping... Not like the branding is very visible while the headphones are on display, and it'll probably outlast wood.
tongue.gif
It's very thick plexi, very sturdy, I thought about wrapping mine in something before it arrived but it looks fine as is in my living room.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Quote:
There actually is no compression of the pads. I thought there would be, but no. The deal will happen again. It's on a group buy site though and the mods here aren't fond of us posting those links.

I looked on that website and see some are not very satisfied with their purchase (scratches, chipping...). How did yours fair?

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #5,166 of 6,388
Quote:
Depends on your budget. The Mjolnir is always a nice choice, as is the Vioelectric V200. Audio Gd products garner much praise (though I'll never recommend 'em, personally),
and then there's the Schiit statement amp. Which is going to be quite special.

Let's say $400-$500...seeing that my Mad Dog's don't have balanced inputs.

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #5,167 of 6,388
I looked on that website and see some are not very satisfied with their purchase (scratches, chipping...). How did yours fair?

Flawless, and came packaged very well, but apparently YMMV.

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #5,168 of 6,388
Quote:

Mine came in in excellent condition as well. It was shipped double boxed and encased in a velour-ish bag. No imperfections on it but it was slightly dusty, probably from the factory. I simply wiped it down and it looked fine. I'm kinda wishing I had ordered a second. The only downside was waiting for them to get manufactured in China.

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #5,169 of 6,388
Just received my Mad Dogs. Excellent craftsmanship and build quality.

A few questions:

1) do these puppies need any burn-in?
2) is the other cable (not Fostex stock) with 3,5mm jack of decent quality? Better/worse than the stock one? Should I want to upgrade it to, say, silver cable - has anyone experimented with the cables?

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #5,170 of 6,388
Quote:

A few questions:

2) is the other cable (not Fostex stock) with 3,5mm jack of decent quality? Better/worse than the stock one? Should I want to upgrade it to, say, silver cable - has anyone experimented with the cables?

I'd be curious to hear some input on burn in from users who have had them awhile.  I have had mine playing pretty much non stop since I got them on Monday.  Waiting on USPS now to deliver my Magni and hoping for the best.  Will update once I have done a bit of listening with the Magni attached.

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #5,171 of 6,388
Quote:

A few questions:

As these are planar magnetic drivers there won't be much burn in at all. Well, since burn in is mostly your ears adjusting, there will be some :) 

I believe you are referencing the Vmoda cable. It is a good quality cable. Strong and sturdy to say the least. The different sonic characters of cables is something I don't want to get into, that could be a mess. 

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #5,172 of 6,388
So I just added the Magni into my stack ( was previously using the headphone in on my Titanium HD ) -- all I can say is *WOW*!!!!! HUGE difference.  The cans sounded great before and they opened up immensely with the addition of the Magni. Very, very impressed.

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #5,173 of 6,388
Quote:

In terms of sound science, they jury's still out on whether any planar magnetic changes in character with burn-in. However, you'll find yourself enjoying them more as your ears grow accustomed to them nonetheless.

The V-Moda cable is pretty strong and doesn't have any significant discernible difference in SQ from the Fostex cable, but if you fold it up in the same way too often it can lead to shape memory.

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #5,174 of 6,388
Quote:

Quote:

Mine came in in excellent condition as well. It was shipped double boxed and encased in a velour-ish bag. No imperfections on it but it was slightly dusty, probably from the factory. I simply wiped it down and it looked fine. I'm kinda wishing I had ordered a second. The only downside was waiting for them to get manufactured in China.

Mine came a couple days ago as well. It was in pretty good shape. A few rough spots, so I sanded mine and added 3 coats of wax.

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #5,175 of 6,388
Just wanted to say thank you Dan for an excellent headphone. The Mad Dog is the winner for me, the hE-400 is going back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back