"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Apr 11, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #5,146 of 6,388
Quote:
I like it, and I'm usually not a fan of too much bling or mods that don't look stock... That lettering sorta fits their old school steampunk-ish look tho. Whatcha doing to the arms?

Thank you that really means allot. My artist buddy sanded the arms with 200, then 400 then wet 600 grit sandpaper and put some car wax on them. The rods do still have some gold paint on them still to add a lil friction but it's hidden pretty well. Few more days and I think the mad dog mite be called something else if the people agree. The mr.speakers lettering is done in sahara font.

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #5,147 of 6,388
Quote:
So guys, instead of beating around the bush, in just going to ask straight out about a potential upgrade to the mad dogs in the distant future (depending on the refractory period of the head fi sickness).

Thanks for indulging my curiosity!

If you like (love) your upstream equipment (DAC/ Amp) I recommend T1 ---- best phone for transparently letting you hear everything that's upstream at its best.  Unfortunately also everything you don't like.

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #5,148 of 6,388
Quote:

If size and weight is not a concern, the LCD-2 is your best bet if you like the sound of the MDs.

HE-400 aside (which, IMO, is not a good performer, at least the pair I owned), the 500s are the least balanced of the Hifiman's lineup. The 5LEs are more balanced but they might lack the bass kick you're after (or not, depending on your DAC/AMP).
For metal and hard-rock, the HE-4 are kings but you want to pair them with a warm/dark amp to tame the treble a bit (it is never ever harsh, but it has energy, just like the DT880).

The old Hifimans (5LEs, 4s) are much lighter less heavy than the new x00 series :wink:

Put a pair of Alpha Pads on either and you get an extremely comfy set of cans!

Again Clem, you are on point with your HiFiMan impressions.  You are the HiFiMan guru...
wink_face.gif

Apr 11, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #5,152 of 6,388
DAT HE-4. <3

If I still had a super powered amp...I'd be tempted.

They are the most technically proficient headphones I have heard outside of the LCD2...

Anyone with something as powerful as the Lyr or off speaker taps would do well in listening to those, if you like something similar to a super-planar DT880...

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #5,153 of 6,388
Quote:

If size and weight is not a concern, the LCD-2 is your best bet if you like the sound of the MDs.

HE-400 aside (which, IMO, is not a good performer, at least the pair I owned), the 500s are the least balanced of the Hifiman's lineup. The 5LEs are more balanced but they might lack the bass kick you're after (or not, depending on your DAC/AMP).
For metal and hard-rock, the HE-4 are kings but you want to pair them with a warm/dark amp to tame the treble a bit (it is never ever harsh, but it has energy, just like the DT880).

The old Hifimans (5LEs, 4s) are much lighter less heavy than the new x00 series :wink:

Put a pair of Alpha Pads on either and you get an extremely comfy set of cans!

I can contest to the comfort of the Alpha Pads on my HE-400 - it's next level.  I'm really enjoying them and they are a quality product!  In looking for a more neutral signature, I am excited to try the Mad Dogs (as well as some others on my shortlist) but I hadn't really considered the HE-4.  Would you mind commenting on your impressions between them and the MD?

DAT HE-4. <3

If I still had a super powered amp...I'd be tempted.

They are the most technically proficient headphones I have heard outside of the LCD2...

Anyone with something as powerful as the Lyr or off speaker taps would do well in listening to those, if you like something similar to a super-planar DT880...

Ah, almost forgot you had previously owned the HE-4.  Now that I am using a speaker amp, these are certainly a possibility.  Doesn't necessarily make me want to hear the Mad Dog less, per se...but I'd imagine they would fair well as a complementary headphone to the HE-400?

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #5,154 of 6,388
Hmm, that's hard to say. The HE-4 is more polite in presentation. It's the DT880 to the HE-400's DT990 (if you wanted to compare). Ultimately, the 990 sounds like a fun-infused DT880. The HE-400 sounds like a fun-infused HE-4, not being as technically proficient or accurate, but more colored for those who like their music that way. You might find the bass lacking on the HE-4 next to the HE-400, though I find it neutral.

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #5,155 of 6,388
Quote:
Hmm, that's hard to say. The HE-4 is more polite in presentation. It's the DT880 to the HE-400's DT990 (if you wanted to compare). Ultimately, the 990 sounds like a fun-infused DT880. The HE-400 sounds like a fun-infused HE-4, not being as technically proficient or accurate, but more colored for those who like their music that way. You might find the bass lacking on the HE-4 next to the HE-400, though I find it neutral.

That's to be expected with a more neutral signature, which I'm prepared for.  I think some things I listen to will certainly benefit from that and having a second headphone available for those times would be ideal.  The HE-400 is quite enjoyable and close to being a fantastic all-around headphone, but I find it just can't do some music genres justice like I feel a Mad Dog/HE-500/LCD-2 (and possibly HE-4) type could.  Based on what I've read of the HE-4 so far, your comparison seems fair.  Clem mentioning that they were favorable for metal and hard rock caught my attention because those are some of the genres I've read the Mad Dog is enjoyable with.

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #5,156 of 6,388
Quote:

Do you know (coming from a Schiit magni) what would be a good SS amp upgrade down the road? 

Depends on your budget. The Mjolnir is always a nice choice, as is the Vioelectric V200. Audio Gd products garner much praise (though I'll never recommend 'em, personally),
and then there's the Schiit statement amp. Which is going to be quite special.

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #5,157 of 6,388
Quote:

Hhmm...I didn't find the bass on the he-4 very far off from the he400. It was actually quite close to my ears. The difference between the MD and he-4 is that the he-4 is on the bright side of neutral whereas the MD is on the dark side of neutral. 

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #5,158 of 6,388
Quote:
^^  Wait, did you say that the he500 is the LEAST balanced of the HFM?

Yep, and I stand by it ^^

Even with their VU-shaped sound signature, the 4s are more balanced throughout the spectrum (the alteration is at both ends and is regular, yet fast).
The 500s have a mid-bass and upper-mid bump (which gives their warm/lush yet open sound). They have an uneven spectrum which, IMO, makes them the least balanced of the the bunch (again, 400s not taken into account, these are flawed :D).
The 5LEs are more balanced than the 500s. Compared to the 4s I cannot tell. They have a (very) slightly raised treble and less bass than the other Hifimans (but the other Hifiman in question all have a boost there: sub-bass for the 4s, mid-bass for the 400s/500s. The 5LE might well just have a neutral bass).

Darryl can chime in for the 6s :wink:

Edit: oh! and the Mad Dogs are the most balanced of them all 
cool.gif

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #5,159 of 6,388
Quote:

Yep, and I stand by it ^^

Even with their VU-shaped sound signature, the 4s are more balanced throughout the spectrum (the alteration is at both ends and is regular, yet fast).
The 500s have a mid-bass and upper-mid bump (which gives their warm/lush yet open sound). They have an uneven spectrum which, IMO, makes them the least balanced of the the bunch (again, 400s not taken into account, these are flawed :D).
The 5LEs are more balanced than the 500s. Compared to the 4s I cannot tell. They have a (very) slightly raised treble and less bass than the other Hifimans (but the other Hifiman in question all have a boost there: sub-bass for the 4s, mid-bass for the 400s/500s. The 5LE might well just have a neutral bass).

Darryl can chime in for the 6s :wink:

cool.gif

Yeah the 6s are the most neutral of the bunch IMO...

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #5,160 of 6,388
Quote:

This is interesting, since there's been little talk about the HE-X's ever since their siblings came out. From some cursory reading there seemed to be a consensus that the X00's were more refined versions of them (HE-500's a refined/easier to drive version of the HE-5, etc.). But there's also the camp that they're different beasts altogether. In the end, as it is always, it'll come down to me sitting down with the two damn things. I suppose I'll start looking at the HE-4's; their signature, a slight-u shape, might be exactly what I'm looking for, though it's almost confounding how invisible they've become amidst the reign of the 400's and 500's.

and the lcd2s will be there to catch me from my fall.

Quote:
If the wood aesthetic isn't a big priority, you can always get this for $28 with free shipping... Not like the branding is very visible while the headphones are on display, and it'll probably outlast wood.
tongue.gif
It's very thick plexi, very sturdy, I thought about wrapping mine in something before it arrived but it looks fine as is in my living room.

This is actually the exact stand I ordered. I actually don't mind the branding, and I like the quasi-invisible look.

Quote:

If you like (love) your upstream equipment (DAC/ Amp) I recommend T1 ---- best phone for transparently letting you hear everything that's upstream at its best.  Unfortunately also everything you don't like.

Do you mean to say that they would run fine on the A2/Bifrost, or that if I like being equipment savvy, that they would be a good investment? I still need to do deeper research on these guys.

Quote:

I wonder how the bass quantity on the HE-4 is compared to the Mad Dogs, then? Also, the fight between "fun" and "proficiency" continues...
dt880smile.png

Quote:

cool.gif

Haha, a great way to bring the conversation full circle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back