"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Mar 14, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #4,246 of 6,388
I got some new Schiit to go with the Mad Dogs!

My Schiit Magni arrived today and after a couple of hours of listening to the Magni hooked up to my Squeezebox and Mad Dogs I can say that the major difference is that the sound is more "complete" as compared to driving the Mad Dogs from the Squeezebox. The extra amp power has made a big difference. The bass is more solid and everything just seems stronger. I usually listen at moderate volumes and with the Magni I am finding that the volume knob is between 9 and 10. I have the Squeezebox internal volume set at 100%

So far, so great! I have noticed a big improvement in the sound. The Magni is well-built and good looking. I plan on doing a lot more listening over the next week or so and I will probably post a proper review of the Mad Dogs and Magni pairing at that point.

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #4,247 of 6,388
I agree with the above. I was a large skeptic of amps/DACs before I really got into them, and when my Dad got me the A2/Bifrost, I was scared that I wasn't going to hear any change.

But I got home after listening to the MDs through my iphone and immediately hooked it up and listened to the song I was listening to. To sum up how I felt/what I heard:

Unnnh.

It's sort of a je ne sais quoi at this point. "It's more there"/"it feels more live" is all I could coherently come up with. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #4,248 of 6,388
Quote:
Just shipped back my Mad Dogs
frown.gif
 They just weren't portable.. Dan, you may expect an order of the Mad Dogs from me in the Holiday season, I just really needed a portable. Sorry about that.

yea portable for me simply means ioslation... I carry my dt 880s around xD there's portable for you lol

but I also returned em and got a pair of ATH w1000x for well the same price e.e, sorry dan Used Woddies are to iressitable xD

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #4,249 of 6,388
Quote:
yea portable for me simply means ioslation... I carry my dt 880s around xD there's portable for you lol

but I also returned em and got a pair of ATH w1000x for well the same price e.e, sorry dan Used Woddies are to iressitable xD

I returned mine also. that's a good price for the W1000X.

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #4,250 of 6,388
Quote:
I returned mine also. that's a good price for the W1000X.

I know, although I dropped an extra $100 for new L3000 pads, which apprently Tighten up the bass and add a little punch to the mids [making em a little less warm] so I think the combo will be what I was hoping for with teh Mad Dog, I want a Mid forward can with TIght n bright airyness and SOUND stage, the Clear Top RCA tube I had added all of that the Mad Dogs, it cleaned the bass up, aired the treble a wee bit and toned the mids dwn... still though even the hybrid tube had to much mid for the mad dogs, as a number of my songs where CRAZY honky. 

So I am happy I got the Mad Dogs, my first can that got me into the direction of getting the ATH w1000x! Imight have NEVER gotten it without you dan <3 

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #4,251 of 6,388
I know, although I dropped an extra $100 for new L3000 pads, which apprently Tighten up the bass and add a little punch to the mids [making em a little less warm] so I think the combo will be what I was hoping for with teh Mad Dog, I want a Mid forward can with TIght n bright airyness and SOUND stage, the Clear Top RCA tube I had added all of that the Mad Dogs, it cleaned the bass up, aired the treble a wee bit and toned the mids dwn... still though even the hybrid tube had to much mid for the mad dogs, as a number of my songs where CRAZY honky. 

So I am happy I got the Mad Dogs, my first can that got me into the direction of getting the ATH w1000x! Imight have NEVER gotten it without you dan <3 
Why not try the HE400s?

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #4,252 of 6,388
Quote:
Why not try the HE400s?

Meh they aren't sexy Woodies are they

also the He-400 is an open can yes, I don't WANT another open can yet. I'm currently looking for a closed can for use at home and on the go [I got some hard cases for my new woodies] 

But yea I need a closed can, my crazy room mates like to scream so you know

plus the he 400 has those nice ortho mids... the w1000x has those nice WOOD mids :O [Oh SNAP] there is a mod that makes it semi open although while making the can god mode insane it defeats the pourpose of buying a closed wood can as it cuts the Woody resonace dwn way too much

but the He 400 is on the list after I get my Darkvoice tube. I plan on using the same tube for my orthos [all of them] and with the discovery oh the gain switch [Oh mai GAWD TOUCH ME MIDS, on the Dt 880s *drools*] my MilletMax is a little more useful now! Depending on how thick the w1000x is it might get the Thick Mullard tube or my Indeed G3 [which has my sexy Clear tops] 

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #4,253 of 6,388
Hold onto your seats folks, this train is derailing. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #4,254 of 6,388
Quote:
Hold onto your seats folks, this train is derailing. 

Yes and no, we are talking about Mad Dog related things.

For the money and if your a solid state users these things are GREAT, and they isolate awesomely! Heck these are on my Can list, I was a PROUD owner of these. When I get my BIG Tube in I might try again [or maybe I'll get a O2 Amp and see how that works]

Still Mad dogs are great closed cans, just not for tube lovers. 

And for the record, replacing the mad dogs brought me to the ath w1000x 

Omg... wooden cupped Mad Dogs :O cmon dan xD I know you can DO IT

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #4,255 of 6,388
Yes and no, we are talking about Mad Dog related things.

For the money and if your a solid state users these things are GREAT, and they isolate awesomely! Heck these are on my Can list, I was a PROUD owner of these. When I get my BIG Tube in I might try again [or maybe I'll get a O2 Amp and see how that works]

Still Mad dogs are great closed cans, just not for tube lovers. 

And for the record, replacing the mad dogs brought me to the ath w1000x 

Omg... wooden cupped Mad Dogs :O cmon dan xD I know you can DO IT
Why not paradox? If Dan made custom woodies, it would cost much more than it does now...

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #4,256 of 6,388
Quote:
Why not paradox? If Dan made custom woodies, it would cost much more than it does now...

is there a wood modded to50 p out there :O I never knew that

But yes it most certianly would cost more... I'm sure it would run around $500 or so e.e [which is the price of a new w1000x]

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #4,258 of 6,388
There's also the Koda^2 but I don't see why anyone would pay so handsomely for a T50rp transducer. From what I've read I think the mad dog mod pretty much squeezes out every bit of performance from the little Fostex driver.

Mar 15, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #4,259 of 6,388
Mar 15, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #4,260 of 6,388
Quote:
There's also the Koda^2 but I don't see why anyone would pay so handsomely for a T50rp transducer. From what I've read I think the mad dog mod pretty much squeezes out every bit of performance from the little Fostex driver.

Nice, I hope oneday to have the mad dogs again, but again I don't have a solid state that can work with it :/

Although dan informed me of how COLORED the Ath w1000x is [as opposed to his neutral laid back mad dog] which for my ears might be nice, I dig color just not equliazed and solid state coloring xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back