"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Mar 15, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #4,276 of 6,388
Quote:

There already is a wooden T50RP mod called Thunderpants (not made by MrSpeakers), but they seem to have a very colored sound signature that does not fit well with the signature of the Mad Dogs. I like the neutral approach (as in Mad Dog) more since it fits very well if you listen to a wide arrange of music genres. And I don't think that a wooden cup would make the Mad Dog any more neutral than it is.

The Thunderpants is also poorer quality and the manufacturer Gary is flaky.

Best not to give him your money.

Mar 15, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #4,277 of 6,388
Quote:
good solid states? 

Oh I do like ss Dacs, I will NEVER own a Tube DAC, because I want my dac to be neutral. N that is because I amp with tubes <3

Still, even with mah clean odac n my clear top tube Mad Dog had to much mids, and it was underpowered on my ss portable amps

I'm interested to know what a "Tube DAC" is. Never heard of that before.

Mar 15, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #4,278 of 6,388
MCA makes T50RP cups.

Mar 15, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #4,280 of 6,388
Quote:

I measured from inside stitching to inside stitching. Width: 2 inches.  Height: 2 1/2 inches

Thanks, Kamakahah.

Next question.
These Mad Dogs are compared to the HD650.
One of the virtues of the HD650 are the way they handle sibilance.
How are the Mad Dogs with this?

Mar 15, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #4,281 of 6,388
Quote:

Thanks, Kamakahah.

Next question.
These Mad Dogs are compared to the HD650.
One of the virtues of the HD650 are the way they handle sibilance.
How are the Mad Dogs with this?

I think they handle sibilance very well. Some tracks just are, but I find the Mad Dogs make it a lot less noticeable for me. I can't comment on how they compare to the HD650s in this regard. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #4,282 of 6,388
MD deals with sibilance very well, to the point that it's not a worry/problem. The HD650 is darker and has more shelved treble.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #4,287 of 6,388
Quote:
Yeah, the MD and hd650 both give a nice lush, smooth sibilant free presentation. 

agreed, the treble was really never sibilant at all... it also laked sparkle for me.

Although really and truely it is a THICK neutral can, I think my issues was I don't want a closed neutral can. The dt 880 is my refrance and for on the go sound I might want to pick the color I like and go with that 

Still I'll miss those big sexy pads q.q 

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #4,288 of 6,388
There already is a wooden T50RP mod called Thunderpants (not made by MrSpeakers), but they seem to have a very colored sound signature that does not fit well with the signature of the Mad Dogs. I like the neutral approach (as in Mad Dog) more since it fits very well if you listen to a wide arrange of music genres. And I don't think that a wooden cup would make the Mad Dog any more neutral than it is.

Do you have picture of those by chance? That would be pretty cool to look at.

Yeah, the MD is very good at subduing the siblance of headphones, practically none unless it is present in recording. Agree with the other poster with it lacking sparkles, some may like and some may not.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #4,289 of 6,388
dsc8311y.jpg

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #4,290 of 6,388
Quote:
Do you have picture of those by chance? That would be pretty cool to look at.

Yeah, the MD is very good at subduing the siblance of headphones, practically none unless it is present in recording. Agree with the other poster with it lacking sparkles, some may like and some may not.

still all day the Mad Dogs had some SERIOUSLY awesome isolation! That alone makes it worth while! Good neutral sound and great isolation. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back