"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Mar 11, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #4,156 of 6,388
Quote:
I still don't get it. Why 80%? Why not 85 or 95 if it is "almost as good"? I mean it had to be a better way of describing the similarities. Probably I am just grumpy :wink:

I don't think that it was intended to be analyzed quite so closely. The meaning seems clear enough. 
size]

Quote:

More Pills
blink.gif

You had all the supplements necessary D. 

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #4,158 of 6,388
I just received my Alpha Pad Dogs and while they sound amazing, but umm for some reason I cannot hear ANY bass in any songs, obviously it's there but there's no impact, I feel none of it at all. It's also paired with the Schiit stack?

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #4,161 of 6,388
Quote:
I just received my Alpha Pad Dogs and while they sound amazing, but umm for some reason I cannot hear ANY bass in any songs, obviously it's there but there's no impact, I feel none of it at all. It's also paired with the Schiit stack?

What headphones did you have previously? If you had something like the XB1000 as your previous headphone with hugely elevated bass, you might think you're not hearing it when you actually are because you're not used to the bass of the MDs. Try getting a sine wave generator and playing notes at 30-100hz and see if you can hear them at all.

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #4,162 of 6,388
Oh, no? I wasn't aware that I had to do that. The piece of paper that gives info about hearing volumes and fitting the headphone said nothing of a white tape. Just peel it off?

I wouldn't, I think he was saying that if you did, then that's why there's no bass. :wink:

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #4,163 of 6,388
Quote:
What headphones did you have previously? If you had something like the XB1000 as your previous headphone with hugely elevated bass, you might think you're not hearing it when you actually are because you're not used to the bass of the MDs. Try getting a sine wave generator and playing notes at 30-100hz and see if you can hear them at all.

I've had tons of different headphones (mostly in-ears) and previously had some cheap gaming headphones. Even my old IEMs had more bass. And the minute I received them, they had the Alpha Pads pre-applied, so I didn't tamper with anything. I'm not expecting the headphone to shake from bass, but I literally just don't feel ANY impact. I put on some pretty bass heavy music and didn't find it.

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #4,165 of 6,388
The white tape is only for Dog Pad owners doing an upgrade to Alpha Pads, this is a new set of phones so that doesn't apply.  

It's either a fit issue (adjusting too loose or too tight breaks the seal and reduces the bass, potentially quite a lot) or as someone noted earlier it's moving from the prior phones, which were gaming headphones.  If the latter, it will simply take some time listening and adjusting to decide if a neutral phones works for him.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 11, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #4,167 of 6,388
I've had tons of different headphones (mostly in-ears) and previously had some cheap gaming headphones. Even my old IEMs had more bass. And the minute I received them, they had the Alpha Pads pre-applied, so I didn't tamper with anything. I'm not expecting the headphone to shake from bass, but I literally just don't feel ANY impact. I put on some pretty bass heavy music and didn't find it.

So...did your Mad Dogs come installed with the alpha pads or not? I'm a bit confused, haha. You shouldn't need to change anything if they came installed with them.

Edit: Seems like these are new with the alpha pads pre-applied. The below still applies.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Mad Dog has relatively flat/neutral bass, and you may be accustomed to headphones with additional bass. So, on one hand, other headphones you're used to might simply have more emphasized bass (if you were looking at frequency response measurements). They might also have more harmonic distortion in the bass, which gives the perception of more or fuller bass (or bloated) than a headphone with less harmonic distortion (even if the frequency response measures about the same). So while the headphone with more bass harmonic distortion might sound fuller, thicker, etc., the response is technically more distorted and less clean. The Mad Dog should have relatively low harmonic distortion across the board, so you're getting a nice neutral, clean bass response from these. Your ears might just not be adjusted yet. :)

Also, the T50RP isn't the best headphone for putting out bass impact. The volume might be there, but you might not be able to feel it as much as other headphones. Many claim this could be due to the relatively small size of the driver.

I would also suggest you bump up the EQ in the 40-80Hz range, as measurements show the Mad Dog has a fairly small dip there relative to the surrounding frequencies. This might help you get back a bit of what you're looking for.

Mar 11, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #4,169 of 6,388
Quote:

Same reaction I had. 

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #4,170 of 6,388
Okay, I think I got a seal and rose the lower freqs which did help. Is it normal though to hear static when the music plays? Usually it's with high female vocals or certain instruments like in faster songs like electronic. It's sounds like a slight distortion? I hope I even set this up correctly. It just does not seem right at all. My amp knob is not even high and even when I lowered the volume very low I still heard it. The music files are lossless and 320kbps lossy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back