"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Mar 10, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #4,144 of 6,388
Quote:
Will a Schiit Magni be able to drive these?

I certainly hope so. Based on everything I've read/heard about the Magni and Mad Dogs, they should be a good match. I should get mine next week and am really looking forward to hearing what it does to the sound compared to my relatively wimpy internal amp in the Squeezebox.

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #4,145 of 6,388
Quote:
There are a few of us that have aftermarket cables hardwired to Mad Dog.

I think a short poll should be created: Which headphone do we feel the MD most sounds like

HE-400
HE-500
HD650
LCD2, etc etc.

recommendations on the cable, for performance, or physical character? Oh....and did you get it done before receieving or was it a later decision?

....and of course.....did sound improve any?

Thanks guys

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #4,146 of 6,388
You need to fit things in around your budget.

Generally I find the Q silky cables the best. However Norn and Toxic offer silk as well now.

Physical character of the aforementioned is "shoelace" light. With exception to the stupid Y splitters Toxic and Norn offer, IMO.
However it's something to give a more custom feel to your cable, It's just bulky to me.

I got mine done after receiving the Mad Dog transformation.

Sound improvement is subjective. yadda yah. I feel thus far cables yield marginal results (if any),
and primarily resort to aftermarket cables for ergonomics.

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #4,147 of 6,388
Quote:
You need to fit things in around your budget.

Generally I find the Q silky cables the best. However Norn and Toxic offer silk as well now.

Physical character of the aforementioned is "shoelace" light. With exception to the stupid Y splitters Toxic and Norn offer, IMO.
However it's something to give a more custom feel to your cable, It's just bulky to me.

I got mine done after receiving the Mad Dog transformation.

Sound improvement is subjective. yadda yah. I feel thus far cables yield marginal results (if any),
and primarily resort to aftermarket cables for ergonomics.

Thanks....where did you get this done...as being UK based, I might need to ask Dan to send them straight there, before the big jump across the pond!

ps How much did this cost....and photos to show the ergo improves?

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #4,148 of 6,388
Quote:

Thanks....where did you get this done...as being UK based, I might need to ask Dan to send them straight there, before the big jump across the pond!

ps How much did this cost....and photos to show the ergo improves?

Brian @ BTG

The hardwire itself was $30. I provided my own Q cable. So factor in the cost of a aftermarket cable to the overall price.

Pics are somewhere in this thread. Haha.

Here

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #4,149 of 6,388
Quote:
Will a Schiit Magni be able to drive these?

The Magni drives the HE-500, so I can't imagine it wouldn't drive the (slightly?) less demanding MDs.  Man, I gotta try these headphones soon....

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #4,150 of 6,388
I think the new Mad Dog with alpha pads are probably 80% of the HE-500. I feel they have the same signature, but the HE-500 wins in the treble region, and while the Mad Dogs are smoother they are not as airy. At this pricepoint and being a closed headphone the Mad Dog really impress me.

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #4,151 of 6,388
I think the new Mad Dog with alpha pads are probably 80% of the HE-500. I feel they have the same signature, but the HE-500 wins in the treble region, and while the Mad Dogs are smoother they are not as airy. At this pricepoint and being a closed headphone the Mad Dog really impress me.

80%? I beleive that any headphone is 80% of another headphone. I don't really understand how we can use percents when comparing headphones and what that actually means.

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #4,153 of 6,388
^^ I find that you are somewhat grumpy. I think that there is a pill for that. 
size]

I understood the meaning perfectly. He said that the MD is almost as good as the he500 for a lot less money. I'd concur. 

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #4,154 of 6,388
^^ I find that you are somewhat grumpy. I think that there is a pill for that. 
size]

I understood the meaning perfectly. He said that the MD is almost as good as the he500 for a lot less money. I'd concur. 
I still don't get it. Why 80%? Why not 85 or 95 if it is "almost as good"? I mean it had to be a better way of describing the similarities. Probably I am just grumpy :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back