"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Mar 9, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #4,111 of 6,388
Quote:

Props for the Enjoy By IPA. It is quite delicious.

Yeah, I'm finding that many music-lovers are also beer lovers, which makes perfect sense. To me, there's nothing quite like enjoying some good music while sipping on a quality brewed beer.

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #4,112 of 6,388
Dang that beverage looks good. 
size]

Quote:
Initial Impressions:
OK, I've been listening to the Mad Dogs for a while while enjoying an awesome Fresh-Hop Imperial IPA from San Diego's Stone Brewing:

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #4,113 of 6,388
Quote:
You're welcome!

I'm sure if I did hear the Lyr I'd buy one. That's why I plan on becoming a hermit once I get the Magni!

That's a good plan. Never look back...or forward. I you're enjoying what you'd got then that's what it's all about really. I've had some pretty inexpensive setups that I've enjoyed tremendously. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #4,114 of 6,388
I have an E9, O2, and Magni. I don't know about the Mad Dogs, but with my HE-500 (another planar magnetic), the Magni is the best of the three. It's also the least expensive.

SQ-aside, it's also probably the most capable as far as core functionality (amplification), lower output impedance than the E9 so it'll play nicer with lower impedance headphones; and more power than any of the others if you've got harder to drive headphones.

Least versatile as far as extra functionality tho, no extra outputs like the E09K or docking functionality for an extra DAC... He doesn't need any of that to run it off his sound card tho.

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #4,115 of 6,388
Mar 9, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #4,116 of 6,388
Initial Impressions: Based on hearing Diana Krall in both headphones, if I were a single guy, I would definitely be more likely to want the Mad Dog Diana Krall over the Sony version. Her voice was a whole lot more sensual and sultry through the Mad Dogs.

lol Nice writeup!

I think I may end up with a Leckerton portable amp + a Magni when I order my MD... I don't need both but I'd like to test the former against something that's known to drive the MD well. I'm not sure if even my STX is up to the task, but it'd be hard to compare against it in the living room anyway.

The Lecker would be be a lot more versatile and the optical hookup to the DVR would be a plus, but I can live with the Magni out of my AVR's headphone-out if it ends up sounding better (and my wallet would be happier anyway).

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #4,117 of 6,388
Nice review ruleof72, and that was your impressions without the magni amp huh?  And thanx to those who replied to my previous question.  It seems like every headphone I'm looking at has one flaw that makes it a dealbreaker for me, lol.  The HE-400's drop in the upper mids, the HD650's lack of bass extention, and the Mad Dog's being a closed back headphone (probably the less serious flaw out of the three).

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #4,118 of 6,388
Holy crap...I was one of the skeptical one of how well these perform. 

I'm currently listening to them while typing and they sound real good.  I'm not going to comment too much as I just got to listening to them for only ten minutes, but they are sooo smooth and effortless. I'm listening to acoustic jazz right now.  The earpads to me are softer than what they look on the picture, they look thick, but once you put them on decompress like a pillow.  When holding them in your hand they look nice, but they look funny on the head
biggrin.gif

Thanks MattTCG for the recommendation

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #4,121 of 6,388
sorry I was planning to add more and delete some comments on the Ipad and yeah Ipad haha

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #4,122 of 6,388
Hey, Dan, I submitted a review a couple days ago(maybe even a week) and its not on there!
frown.gif

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #4,123 of 6,388
I haven't looked at the reviews to see if any new ones were there, I will tomorrow...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 10, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #4,125 of 6,388
So right now I know I'm not bringing out it's full potential, but I'm curious what changes do I get from getting a better amp like the magni.  I'm currently using the E7 with them.  and also how much of an improvement will I see?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back