"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Mar 6, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #3,961 of 6,388
Quote:
Just got mine in, upgrade from the oldest shure 840 version to the new and improved alpha pads. This is a night and day upgrade. The comfort is a huge improvement over the shure pads and I can honestly say that these are most comfortable headphone I have ever worn (note with the comfort strap), and I have never had such a good seal over my ears. 

The sound is also improved by alot. I have to listen a bit more to say exactly what I hear, and maybe give them a comparison to the HE500.

Haha, you took quite a step in pad-fi there! I'd love to hear your impressions alongside the HE-500, as I've had my eye on those as a potential upgrade/open pair of open cans.

Quote:
Listening a bit to England Without Rain by Talk Less, Say More (you can get the full album in FLAC at Records on Ribs's site for free), and I've become even more impressed with the MD. They've become my default portable despite their bulk.

Yes, someone else who uses them as portables! As soon as I get my hands on a decent portable amp, I'll probably be doing the same. After getting my A2/Bifrost, I couldn't stand the out on the Iphone.

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #3,962 of 6,388
Speaking of meets, at the Portland meet, I was able to try out Anoxy's Mad Dogs and compared it with tattare's HE-400.  I was super impressed by the Mad Dogs and found that I clearly preferred them over the HE-400.  In particular, they had wonderful vocals and guitar that the HE-400 couldn't match.  I also agree that it is hard to evaluate open headphones like the HE-400 in a noisy environment (At times, I could hear the HD800 next to me better than the HE-400!).  

I was driving the Mad Dogs with my E10 (and even tried it on my Sansa player), so I am surprised that people say that an E10 is insufficient.  I was certainly happy with that alone, but will think about upgrading the amp in the near future (probably Magni/Modi at first), so it will be nice to scale up from there.

Unfortunately for me (and maybe fortunately for mrspeakers) is that very few of the Mad Dogs appear on the for sale forum since any unhappy customers can return them within 15 days, so the price (especially with the alpha pads) is pretty firm at 300.  Given that, are there any headphones in the sub 300 range that people feel give comparably good vocals and mids as the Mad Dogs?  I felt underwhelmed by the HE-400 and HD600, 598 in this regard.  Reading about some of the Audio Technica headphones, it seems like they might be a good match.  Does anybody have the ATH-A900X or AD900x and can compare to the mad dogs?    

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #3,963 of 6,388
Quote:
Speaking of meets, at the Portland meet, I was able to try out Anoxy's Mad Dogs and compared it with tattare's HE-400.  I was super impressed by the Mad Dogs and found that I clearly preferred them over the HE-400.  In particular, they had wonderful vocals and guitar that the HE-400 couldn't match.  I also agree that it is hard to evaluate open headphones like the HE-400 in a noisy environment (At times, I could hear the HD800 next to me better than the HE-400!).  

I was driving the Mad Dogs with my E10 (and even tried it on my Sansa player), so I am surprised that people say that an E10 is insufficient.  I was certainly happy with that alone, but will think about upgrading the amp in the near future (probably Magni/Modi at first), so it will be nice to scale up from there.

Unfortunately for me (and maybe fortunately for mrspeakers) is that very few of the Mad Dogs appear on the for sale forum since any unhappy customers can return them within 15 days, so the price (especially with the alpha pads) is pretty firm at 300.  Given that, are there any headphones in the sub 300 range that people feel give comparably good vocals and mids as the Mad Dogs?  I felt underwhelmed by the HE-400 and HD600, 598 in this regard.  Reading about some of the Audio Technica headphones, it seems like they might be a good match.  Does anybody have the ATH-A900X or AD900x and can compare to the mad dogs?    

IMO...nope.

Besides the vmoda cable, are there any other after market cables available for the MD? I actually like the vmoda cable but it's just a bit too short. 

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #3,964 of 6,388
Speaking of aftermarket cables, I've read some mentions of Homegrown Audio's silver cables. I'm trying to figure out if you just buy the wire from them, source some plugs, and build it yourself... Or if there's any way to get already completed cables. I'd love to hear silver cabling on the MD's....

I'm currently using the V-moda cable on mine.

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #3,965 of 6,388
Quote:
They still look nice. Im still anticipating mine. Have any shipped out lately

As of now all orders placed before yesterday around noon have shipped, and all orders between then and now will ship tomorrow.  We had more demand than expected and are running out of Alpha pads, I expect we'll be out by Friday.  Our vendor is working to accelerate delivery, but it may still be a couple of weeks before we have more.  

We will offer an option for people who order to get a Mad Dog with 840 pads and ship Alpha pads at our expense, for those who don't want to wait for their headphones, and I will extend the return policy for those users, as the 840 version will be sub-optimal.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 6, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #3,966 of 6,388
It's very peculiar what a smooth sounding headphone will do. I never thought I'd like one, given that I love my extreme metal and edgy sounds. Going back to my SR-60i, Brainwavz B2, FXT-90's, ATH CKM50's, my Klipsch S4s, from my MD's, there is this drastic grain on the top-end of ALL of them that just isn't there on my MD's, resolution and other characteristics aside (of which to them handed is all of their asses). I can't listen to music without feeling this harshness... I can only find solace in my MD home setup. 

Also, the S4's are too dark, the CKM50's are too v-shaped, the FXT90's, B2's are a bit bright, and my sr60i's are thin. 

The power of psychological adaptation.

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #3,967 of 6,388
Quote:
Quote:
They still look nice. Im still anticipating mine. Have any shipped out lately

As of now all orders placed before yesterday around noon have shipped, and all orders between then and now will ship tomorrow.  We had more demand than expected and are running out of Alpha pads, I expect we'll be out by Friday.  Our vendor is working to accelerate delivery, but it may still be a couple of weeks before we have more.  

We will offer an option for people who order to get a Mad Dog with 840 pads and ship Alpha pads at our expense, for those who don't want to wait for their headphones, and I will extend the return policy for those users, as the 840 version will be sub-optimal.

Great service, Mrspeakers. Seriously.

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #3,968 of 6,388
If you mean a stand like this:

I have one on order (zebra!). I'll post it when it arrives, but hopefully someone already has one on hand that they can snap shot.

Yeah that's what I meant, I have a cheap acrylic one from Brainwavz but recent pics of the Alpha pads make them look so huge that I'm wondering whether the MD would bee too stretched out on such a stand. I plan to order a pair of MD soon, just planning ahead... :p

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #3,969 of 6,388
Quote:

Audio Technica ESW9 comes pretty close, but without the expansive soundstage or the bass quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back