"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Mar 6, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #3,991 of 6,388
I had it too, I thought it was my internet...

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #3,992 of 6,388
I couldn't log in for a bit. Hitting return, or clicking 'login' did nothing once my ID and PW were entered. Obviously I got in now though.  
cool.gif

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #3,993 of 6,388
Quote:

As of now all orders placed before yesterday around noon have shipped, and all orders between then and now will ship tomorrow.  We had more demand than expected and are running out of Alpha pads, I expect we'll be out by Friday.  Our vendor is working to accelerate delivery, but it may still be a couple of weeks before we have more.  

We will offer an option for people who order to get a Mad Dog with 840 pads and ship Alpha pads at our expense, for those who don't want to wait for their headphones, and I will extend the return policy for those users, as the 840 version will be sub-optimal.

Indeed, I jJUST GOT MY INTERNET FREAKING BACK... OMG SO HAPPY

so new cans will be MUCh appreciated since I'll b able to review them as soon as they hit my house! 

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #3,994 of 6,388
Anybody have the Purity Audio KICAS?  I'm wondering if mine would be sufficient to power the Mad Dogs properly.  I've thought about getting the Magni (due to its alleged ample power), but part of me thinks it'd be a downgrade.

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #3,995 of 6,388
Lawl, the post office delivered me cans 5 days ago... not only that but they didn't get any one at my door so they took the package TO the post office and never left me ANY kind of notice...

TIME TO GO A SCREAMING not really. But I will get them tommorow at 4:30 pm.
So REVIEW TOMMOROW :D YAY [although I'm am a little pissed at the dmn post office... I like to hang with my cousins on thursdays but I have to go THERE in stead,,, stupid post office WHY U NO TELL ME U STEAL MY CANS] 

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #3,996 of 6,388
Quote:
Lawl, the post office delivered me cans 5 days ago... not only that but they didn't get any one at my door so they took the package TO the post office and never left me ANY kind of notice...

TIME TO GO A SCREAMING not really. But I will get them tommorow at 4:30 pm.
So REVIEW TOMMOROW :D YAY [although I'm am a little pissed at the dmn post office... I like to hang with my cousins on thursdays but I have to go THERE in stead,,, stupid post office WHY U NO TELL ME U STEAL MY CANS] 

Go there early and you should be fine :)
Good luck, I think you'll like them a lot!

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #3,997 of 6,388
I found the specification of the Fostex T50RP over B&H as 330 gram only, how come after the modifications to Mad Dog they became so heavy.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/281431-REG/Fostex_T50_RP_T50RP_Studio_Headphones.html

Quote:
Anybody have the Purity Audio KICAS?  I'm wondering if mine would be sufficient to power the Mad Dogs properly.  I've thought about getting the Magni (due to its alleged ample power), but part of me thinks it'd be a downgrade.

I have the KICAS Caliente, and have heard the orginal Asgard. Suffice to say I don't think the Asgard is an upgrade over the KICAS, and probably the Magni no better.

Like yourself I am sceptical the KICAS can power the Mad Dog adequately, I am waiting to hear the Burson Soloist SL which may be a better match with the Mad Dog.

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #3,998 of 6,388
Hi folks! Has anyone here compared Mad Dog's to the unmodded Fostex? That would be nice to hear some impressions. I am also interested in buying this model but maybe to do modding myself.

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #4,003 of 6,388
Quote:
Speaking of aftermarket cables, I've read some mentions of Homegrown Audio's silver cables. I'm trying to figure out if you just buy the wire from them, source some plugs, and build it yourself... Or if there's any way to get already completed cables. I'd love to hear silver cabling on the MD's....

I'm currently using the V-moda cable on mine.

Homegrown only sells solid core stuff, unless they've changed, so I'd advise against that. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #4,004 of 6,388
Quote:
No kidding, isn't the K701 about as airy as it gets at this price range? (abnormally open sounding AT's aside...) The D2000 are pretty well regarded in that aspect too aren't they, didn't realize the MD's were quite up there.
In addition to the standard/longer Fostex cable right?

The MDs soundstage is nowhere near as big or "airy" as the K-701 IMO(driven on the same M-stage amp).

BUT: that's not a bad thing per se, the K-701 have a big unatural soundstage that is barely a circle with instruments placed on it. This give a sense of space in the soundstage but I don't hear it as natural.

By comparison, the layering is much better on the MDs and the resulting soundstage more natural. The only cons is that, at times (= on some recording) the sound is slightly closed-in (how suprising for closed headphones :D).

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #4,005 of 6,388
OK.
confused.gif
Then I think I'll pass this one.

You should look at another way, the way and cost to make a a t50rp sound as good as mad dog yourself. It will cost you alot of time and money to get good result and even then I bet you will struggle to even be close to the Mad Dog. Yes it cost more than a stock one and that is natural as it is a upgraded product that is far better than the stock headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back