"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Feb 6, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #3,031 of 6,388
I get the feeling that Mad Dogs + HE-400 will be somewhat like my IEM combination. To get the full range of sound that I enjoy, I use both the Miles Davis Trumpet (fun, with good, revealing soundstage and decent bass extension) and the Brainwavz B2 (more neutral, analytical) depending on what i'm feeling. I think the Mad Dogs and HE-400 could mirror this on the full size scale.

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #3,032 of 6,388
Quote:
I get the feeling that Mad Dogs + HE-400 will be somewhat like my IEM combination. To get the full range of sound that I enjoy, I use both the Miles Davis Trumpet (fun, with good, revealing soundstage and decent bass extension) and the Brainwavz B2 (more neutral, analytical) depending on what i'm feeling. I think the Mad Dogs and HE-400 could mirror this on the full size scale.

I'd be interested to hear your impressions.

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #3,033 of 6,388
@ Hans

Haha, to be honest, I'm surprised at the number of people that have just spoken up saying they bought them with the intentions of returning them. 

I have not heard the HE-400, but I'd have to guess based on measurements and impressions that the MD will not be as bassy (partially due to frequency response and size of drivers), have less of a dip in the upper mids and lower treble, and have less of a peak in the upper treble. The MD should sound more neutral overall. They're really quite nice.

The he400 does have more bass impact and punch. I suspect the same thing that you do...the larger drivers and also that it is tuned to deliver a more "fun" signature and less neutral. 

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #3,034 of 6,388
Quote:

I actually own the B2's as well. I wouldn't say that the Mad Dog's voicing is very similar to it besides being balanced. In fact, after having my MD's for a while, my B2's suddenly sound harsh and thin-bodied, but that could simply be the result of adapting to the MD's (Though the point still stands.). Nevertheless, I still get all the detail that the B2 gives (and more) on my Mad Dogs, but hoisted on a much more smooth and daresay enjoyable/musical response (I say daresay because the B2's were a love-at-first-hearing for me). 

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #3,035 of 6,388
Quote:

I actually own the B2's as well. I wouldn't say that the Mad Dog's voicing is very similar to it besides being balanced. In fact, after having my MD's for a while, my B2's suddenly sound harsh and thin-bodied, but that could simply be the result of adapting to the MD's (Though the point still stands.). Nevertheless, I still get all the detail that the B2 gives (and more) on my Mad Dogs, but hoisted on a much more smooth and daresay enjoyable/musical response (I say daresay because the B2's were a love-at-first-hearing for me). 

That's actually good because I've gone back to my B2s and have occasionally felt that they sounded harsh as well, which to me is another indicator that this might be the combo for me. I'm still gonna see if I can find a meet where someone has the Mad Dogs first, though.

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #3,036 of 6,388
@ Hans

Haha, to be honest, I'm surprised at the number of people that have just spoken up saying they bought them with the intentions of returning them. 

I have not heard the HE-400, but I'd have to guess based on measurements and impressions that the MD will not be as bassy (partially due to frequency response and size of drivers), have less of a dip in the upper mids and lower treble, and have less of a peak in the upper treble. The MD should sound more neutral overall. They're really quite nice.

The he400 does have more bass impact and punch. I suspect the same thing that you do...the larger drivers and also that it is tuned to deliver a more "fun" signature and less neutral. 

HE-400 delivers more bass punch?  Really?  I want the mad dogs to listen to those sweet mids I keep hearing about, but has anyone tried messing with the eq to give it some more bass punch?

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #3,037 of 6,388
Quote:
HE-400 delivers more bass punch?  Really?  I want the mad dogs to listen to those sweet mids I keep hearing about, but has anyone tried messing with the eq to give it some more bass punch?

HE-400 is open, so it's not a really fair comparison. The MD has bass, it has some punch, but it's limited to what it is. However I guess that's dependent on if you 
like that bass-head crap quality, thumping, muddy, bloaty bass.

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #3,038 of 6,388
Quote:

IMO the MD's don't need more bass punch, the bass is very well controlled and the extension is phenominal

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #3,039 of 6,388
HE-400 is open, so it's not a really fair comparison. The MD has bass, it has some punch, but it's limited to what it is. However I guess that's dependent on if you 
like that bass-head crap quality, thumping, muddy, bloaty bass.

IMO the MD's don't need more bass punch, the bass is very well controlled and the extension is phenominal

Just curious. 
wink.gif

I'm even more curious to see how the mad dogs would hold up against the HE-500.

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #3,040 of 6,388
Quote:

Just curious. 
wink.gif

I'm even more curious to see how the mad dogs would hold up against the HE-500.

Malveaux had some perspective on this thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/636808/closed-he-500

Post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/636808/closed-he-500#post_8880200

Note that this is his opinion with the stax pads.

To be balanced, rushnerd in his review thought that the HE-400's were in another class compared to the MD's.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/629768/hd650-vs-he-400-vs-ah-d5000-vs-mad-dogs-t50rp-reviewed

Honestly though, if you were to search this entire forum you could probably get continually differing opinions on the HFM versus the MDs, haha.

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #3,041 of 6,388
Quote:

Yes on the EQ. There's a small dip in the 40-80Hz range on the Mad Dog that I EQ up a teeny tiny bit (or, rather, I EQ everything else down). I find it rounds out the sound to my liking. It gives it a wee bit more punch and weight to the sound.

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #3,042 of 6,388
Hey guys, I've been reading this thread for awhile and I have a few questions.

I really feel like pulling the trigger on these, they have pretty much everything I want from headphones. My only question is do they handle rock music well? I'm coming from a pair of M80s and don't like how congested they sound with rock music. My pro900s are also way too harsh and just not even enjoyable to listen to. So basically I just want to know if they're fun and I wont want to take them off after one song.

What do you guys think?

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #3,043 of 6,388
Hey guys, I've been reading this thread for awhile and I have a few questions.

I really feel like pulling the trigger on these, they have pretty much everything I want from headphones. My only question is do they handle rock music well? I'm coming from a pair of M80s and don't like how congested they sound with rock music. My pro900s are also way too harsh and just not even enjoyable to listen to. So basically I just want to know if they're fun and I wont want to take them off after one song.

What do you guys think?

Based on what you just said I really think these will be perfect for you, just be sure you have an amp that can drive them well.

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #3,044 of 6,388
Agreed. I primarily listen to metal and love the MD. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back