"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Feb 7, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #3,046 of 6,388
Quote:
Well if I ever plan on using them as portables I have my D2+, and I plan on getting the Modi and Magni, unless there's something just as good, for decently cheap. Any suggestions?

It all depends on how much you'd like to spend. If you're not looking to spend a whole lot, then the Magni/Modi combo has been very well received. And will pair with the MD just fine.

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #3,047 of 6,388
Quote:
It all depends on how much you'd like to spend. If you're not looking to spend a whole lot, then the Magni/Modi combo has been very well received. And will pair with the MD just fine.

Yeah I'm a student and don't have much money to spend, so cheap is always a plus
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #3,048 of 6,388
Spec-wise the Magni/Modi combo should certainly be up to the task.  More so than anything else in the $200 range for an amp/DAC combo.  

The Mad Dogs are excellent headphones.  When you add value you into the mix, they're extremely hard to beat.  They won't sound harsh unless your source material is a metal band recorded through a hot mixer in a glass warehouse (or something equally harsh).  I'd also say they're far from congested and (IMHO) best even some very good open headphones in this area.  

Just make sure to go for the full version.  At not even $40 extra they're worth every penny.  

Quote:
Yeah I'm a student and don't have much money to spend, so cheap is always a plus
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Well if I ever plan on using them as portables I have my D2+, and I plan on getting the Modi and Magni, unless there's something just as good, for decently cheap. Any suggestions?

Feb 7, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #3,049 of 6,388
Quote:
Hey guys, I've been reading this thread for awhile and I have a few questions.

I really feel like pulling the trigger on these, they have pretty much everything I want from headphones. My only question is do they handle rock music well? I'm coming from a pair of M80s and don't like how congested they sound with rock music. My pro900s are also way too harsh and just not even enjoyable to listen to. So basically I just want to know if they're fun and I wont want to take them off after one song.

What do you guys think?

How long have you let your pro 900's burn in cause they get way way way better between 100-200hrs. before 100hrs. they sound like dog crap.

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #3,052 of 6,388
I would choose the O2 over the M-Stage.
The latter is warm and, IMO, you don't want that with the somewhat dark sounding Mad Dogs.

With the Fostex HP-A3, I use the following EQ:

Tuning down the 300Hz region makes all the difference to my ears. It opens up the scene and I gain a lot of clarity. The slow treble bump is there as a compensation to the change in the 300Hz region.

With this EQing, the Mad Dogs directly competes with the HE-500.
They are less technical, but more balanced and the joy is somewhat the same between the 2 (which says a lot!).

To get similar result on the Cowon J3 + M-stage combo I tune the 270Hz region down to -3 (I don't know the scale, certainly not in dB). I also compensate a bit in the treble but (proportionally) less so than on the curve above.

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #3,053 of 6,388
Not to get off track too much, but looking at your EQ settings, I would advise that you lower each slider by 1.5 dB across the spectrum. (leave preamp slider alone)

There is a chance that a positive EQ could introduce clipping, and in your situation as shown in the screen capture, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to keep everything at or below 0 dB while still achieving the sound signature that you prefer.

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #3,054 of 6,388
Yeah I know that.
Why do you say "leave preamp slider alone"? Instead of moving down all the bands, I'd better set the preamp to -1.5dB, which should be the same in the end.

However, while I agree clipping might occur, I've yet to find a track that would exhibit any hint of distortion due to clipping. 

It's hard to say if the clipping tame the transients or not, since the change in overall voicing changes pretty much everything at the same time. 

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #3,056 of 6,388
There is some pretty exciting news here people. I was fortunate enough to be part of a test group for the new Alpha Pads. I've spent the past few weeks auditioning and discussing the changes these new pads bring to the table. Most of you know that I'm a big fan of the MD. Let me go on record to say that the new MD, has now been elevated to the next level. The bass, voicing, imagining, soundstage have all made impressive and measurable improvements. 

The exciting part is that is that Dan has been able to keep the price the same!! Appreciable better MD's at the same price. All of these changes will be fleshed out and shared. Please feel free to ask questions about specific changes. There are several that were part of the group that will be sure to oblige. 

Great work Dan!!

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #3,057 of 6,388
Damn and I just ordered last week. /sigh Oh well better start saving for them.

Edit: Oh they are only 45.00 ok payday I will order them.

Thanks for the heads up.

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #3,058 of 6,388
Check in with Dan. I believe that he had plans to be sure that all recent orders were filled with the new version. I'll let him speak to this though. 

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #3,059 of 6,388
Quote:
There is some pretty exciting news here people. I was fortunate enough to be part of a test group for the new Alpha Pads. I've spent the past few weeks auditioning and discussing the changes these new pads bring to the table. Most of you know that I'm a big fan of the MD. Let me go on record to say that the new MD, has now been elevated to the next level. The bass, voicing, imagining, soundstage have all made impressive and measurable improvements. 

The exciting part is that is that Dan has been able to keep the price the same!! Appreciable better MD's at the same price. All of these changes will be fleshed out and shared. Please feel free to ask questions about specific changes. There are several that were part of the group that will be sure to oblige. 

Great work Dan!!

This is another thing that worries me, I feel like if I take the Mad Dog plunge and a new revision of sorts comes out, I'll regret my purchase. 

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #3,060 of 6,388
If I were in your position, knowing how the new MD, I would feel just the opposite. IMO it's a perfect time to take the plunge. These are now an even more compelling and addictive listen than they were before. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back