"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Feb 5, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #3,016 of 6,388
Ordered a pair of MDs. Can't wait for them to arrive. I'm about an hour from Dan; Hopefully that means they'll be here sooner. 
dt880smile.png

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #3,018 of 6,388
So which one of you are gonna let me try out your Mad Dogs in exchange for trying out something I have? :] Any takers?

Anyway, what's the 15-day thing I just saw on one page and have not researched even a little bit, possibly angering you all to no end?

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #3,019 of 6,388
Quote:
So which one of you are gonna let me try out your Mad Dogs in exchange for trying out something I have? :] Any takers?

Anyway, what's the 15-day thing I just saw on one page and have not researched even a little bit, possibly angering you all to no end?

It pretty much means you can order them and try them.  Keep them in like new condition, and if you don't like them, Mr. Speakers will refund you if you return within the 15 day window.  You might be on the hook for return shipping, I'm not sure.  I bought mine actually kind of intending to return them, because I really didn't have much cash in my fun fund at the time.  Once I got them, I ended up selling a couple other items to cover them - I really like 'em!  Right now I'm listening to Al Dimeola "Flesh on Flesh" via a 24/96 HD tracks FLAC download - very nice!

Mr. Speakers is a really great guy to deal with.  If you are considering them, you have little to loose trying them this way.

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #3,020 of 6,388
Quote:
It pretty much means you can order them and try them.  Keep them in like new condition, and if you don't like them, Mr. Speakers wii refund you.  You might be on the hook for return shipping, I'm not sure.  I bought mine actually kind of intending to return them, because I really didn't have much cash in my fun fund at the time.  Once I got them, I ended up selling a couple other items to cover them - I really like 'em!

Maaan I would feel so bad doing that. I'm really looking for something on the higher end closed to compliment my HE-400 but I can't even begin to build a picture of what the Mad Dogs sound like in my head, even after reading a bunch of reviews. Hopefully I'll be able to get out to a meet some time with someone who has 'em.

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #3,023 of 6,388
Mad Dog + Fostex HP-P1 is an awesome pair, if not synergetic.

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #3,024 of 6,388
Quote:
Maaan I would feel so bad doing that. I'm really looking for something on the higher end closed to compliment my HE-400 but I can't even begin to build a picture of what the Mad Dogs sound like in my head, even after reading a bunch of reviews. Hopefully I'll be able to get out to a meet some time with someone who has 'em.

Dan offers the return policy because he believes in his product and thinks that you will too. It's a bold statement tbh. The truth is, I bought my pair thinking that there was a good chance I'd have to return them. And felt the same way you did. 

I had them for an hour and knew that they were special and that I wouldn't be able to sent them back. 

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #3,025 of 6,388
MattTCG did you and your buddy ever pick out an amp or amp/dac yet. I've been quite curious about it. I recently traded my stride for an ALO national as I found out later that I didn't use the dac in my setup. Should have it an a couple days, reportedly sounded awesome with he-400's but didn't seen anything on mad dogs. We will kno soon though. The stride was awesome just a bit on the bright side for me.

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #3,027 of 6,388
I ordered them fully intending to give them a listen and then return them.  They are now part of my permanent collection, I wouldn't dream of parting with them.

I did this as well.
There's a reason he doesn't get many return units :wink:

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #3,029 of 6,388
Quote:

Haha, to be honest, I'm surprised at the number of people that have just spoken up saying they bought them with the intentions of returning them. 

I have not heard the HE-400, but I'd have to guess based on measurements and impressions that the MD will not be as bassy (partially due to frequency response and size of drivers), have less of a dip in the upper mids and lower treble, and have less of a peak in the upper treble. The MD should sound more neutral overall. They're really quite nice.

Quote:
What would be the effect of putting the Dog Pads onto an unmodded T50RP? Thinking about that as an option since I don't have the money to go for the Mad Dogs right now.

It would sound different. :wink: I'd imagine it wouldn't be TOO different from just slapping on some 840 pads to an unmodded T50RP (I think measurements are floating around for this somewhere). It should improve the sound and comfort overall, but it's just one piece of the puzzle. 

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #3,030 of 6,388
Quote:
I ordered them fully intending to give them a listen and then return them.  They are now part of my permanent collection, I wouldn't dream of parting with them.

I do like having the return policy as that comfort zone especially since sound is such a preferential thing. When I get money Ill be giving these a go for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back