"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Dec 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #2,116 of 6,388
Quote:
I actually sold my Mad Dogs, they had a hard wire split to hirose connector. I'm going to pick up a new pair soon enough but til then I can't really comment. I have a good feeling about it tho, the high gain setting is very powerful.

Ah! I remember seeing those. 

Quote:
I really want to underscore how much I think people underestimate how much power it takes to drive the MDs. I spent a couple weeks trying to drive them off my MacBook Pro, added in an inexpensive HeadRoom amp and kept thinking they just didn't live up to the hype. When demoing them for my parents, both audiophiles, they had significant issues with them. Finally I plugged them into my Denon speaker pre-amp's headphone amp and... AHHHH! THAT's what people are talking about. Happen to have an old Rotel pre-amp in the basement that's working as quite a nice dedicated amp for headphone listening now...

Those headroom amps really don't quite give the power to more modern headphone drivers. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #2,117 of 6,388
I do think that people understand how good the maddogs are but maybe don't have a good grasp of how well that they scale up with better amps. Very reminiscent of the hd650 scalability. I'm honestly just floored with the maddogs with the lyr and the right set of tubes....stupid good. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #2,118 of 6,388
Quote:
I was thinking about getting a leckerton, any comments on the pair?

There are some coments on both threads (this one and on UHA-6S mkii thread) about this pairing. Most owners of the combo seem happy enough

Personaly, I pulled the trigger for this combo, MD dog pads + UHA-6S mkii, and, well, I belive I didn't do anything wrong. 
Unfortunatly I'll only discover january 2, when I get them :D

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #2,119 of 6,388
Quote:
I do think that people understand how good the maddogs are but maybe don't have a good grasp of how well that they scale up with better amps. Very reminiscent of the hd650 scalability. I'm honestly just floored with the maddogs with the lyr and the right set of tubes....stupid good. 

This was my setup...sooooooo good
Quote:
There are some coments on both threads (this one and on UHA-6S mkii thread) about this pairing. Most owners of the combo seem happy enough

Personaly, I pulled the trigger for this combo, MD dog pads + UHA-6S mkii, and, well, I belive I didn't do anything wrong. 
Unfortunatly I'll only discover january 2, when I get them :D

Yea I think that the MK-II will be able to drive them very well. I'm actually gonna follow you on head-fi and message you January 3rd lol

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #2,120 of 6,388
Hey guys,

Just wanted to update that after getting advice here on the thread, I went and got myself a Schiit Lyr for my home setup with the Mad Dogs.  Couldn't be happier, listening to them right now!  I am currently using a pair of 6n23p-EV's.  I can already see what tube rolling might do to my wallet next year...

I actually think people under estimate how much it takes to drive them. I just got the Leckerton MK-II, by any chance does anyone use this amp with the MDs?

I posted a little non-audiophile review of the combo a while back, I think some others did too.  Search this thread for em!  (Short answer: I found them to work perfectly fine with 95% of the music I listen to.  Some older music and maybe classical might feel like it needs more juice depending on the listener)

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #2,121 of 6,388
Quote:
I posted a little non-audiophile review of the combo a while back, I think some others did too.  Search this thread for em!  (Short answer: I found them to work perfectly fine with 95% of the music I listen to.  Some older music and maybe classical might feel like it needs more juice depending on the listener)

Nice thanks!

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #2,122 of 6,388
[size=10pt][size=10pt]you see this is what i was afraid of... a steady escalation. first its one headphone, then three, then well, i have to get a decent portable headphone amp, no wait don’t I listen more at home? shouldn’t i get a home amplifier? after all one shouldn’t underestimate how much juice these MD's need to be driven right. [/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt] [/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]damn consumerist impulses and head fi (shakes fist at web browser).[/size][/size]

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #2,123 of 6,388
Quote:
[size=10pt][size=10pt]you see this is what i was afraid of... a steady escalation. first its one headphone, then three, then well, i have to get a decent portable headphone amp, no wait don’t I listen more at home? shouldn’t i get a home amplifier? after all one shouldn’t underestimate how much juice these MD's need to be driven right. [/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt] [/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]damn consumerist impulses and head fi (shakes fist at web browser).[/size][/size]

I haven't even got my M-100's yet and I'm already saving up for a Lyr and MDs, cuz I know I'll love it. 

Dec 11, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #2,124 of 6,388
I finally met with my friend and confirmed that the Oyaide straight plug can be used and fit perfectly into the housing of the Mad Dog / T50RP. Here's a crappy pic I took with my phone.

Dec 11, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #2,126 of 6,388
Quote:
Interesting, my biggest worry w/ straight plugs is stress placed at connection or wire.

Yes, I believe you are quite correct on your response.  However, the female TRS receptacle that is built into the cup on the Fostex headphones, can be a bit weak.  It is not fully molded to the cup itself, but is just molded on two small area.  The rest is "open" and was designed to use the stock twist-in cable from Fostex, which would seal those gaps.  When using another cable and switching from the stock twist / locking cable, I have taken some small pieces of plastic and epoxy by which I adhered them to the inside plastic components to further secure the plastic mounting area for the jack.  Once that was done, the strength of the plug / receptacle in the cup itself was much, much more secure for the long haul with the Fostex headphones.

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #2,128 of 6,388
Quote:

Maybe I'm hard of hearing, but unless I'm using Audio Hijack Pro, I usually have to crank my E9 to 12 or 1 o'clock for "HQ" Spotify tracks, and even higher for FLAC files in VLC. 

I agree that the MD takes some juice. I used to only listen to music at extreme volume. I'm talking the Logitech Z-2300 at 3 o clock or more in a small dorm room, while sitting in front of it. Then I figured I should probably save my ears.

I'm simply running USB to my e9k/e17 and I listen almost exclusively to flac. 12 o'clock is very loud for me and I can't stand more than a few minutes of it. This is a shame as it's the spot where the MD really opens up on the e9k.

For mp3 (various bitrates depending on when I got the music...I should fix this....), I do 9 o'clock or less, which i find sounds similar in volume to flac at 11 to me.

I will say this, if I listen to louder music (11-12), and try to do it for a prolonged period of time (say, 30 minutes), I can keep cranking the volume and it doesn't sound loud any more. So... I don't think you're hard of hearing. The MD's really open up around that point and I've just been trying to keep the volume to an enjoyable minimum whenever possible, especially at work where I listen to music for 7-8 hours in a day. Have to save those ears as I'm still relatively young (23) and have a long musical journey ahead of me.

Dec 11, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #2,130 of 6,388
^^ It's decent. Just decent. I used an e17/ipod/lod and took the MD's with me over Thanksgiving and it was okay. There was an appreciable level when I got home and plugged back into my desktop amp though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back