"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Dec 11, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #2,131 of 6,388
Quote:

Yes, I believe you are quite correct on your response.  However, the female TRS receptacle that is built into the cup on the Fostex headphones, can be a bit weak.  It is not fully molded to the cup itself, but is just molded on two small area.  The rest is "open" and was designed to use the stock twist-in cable from Fostex, which would seal those gaps.  When using another cable and switching from the stock twist / locking cable, I have taken some small pieces of plastic and epoxy by which I adhered them to the inside plastic components to further secure the plastic mounting area for the jack.  Once that was done, the strength of the plug / receptacle in the cup itself was much, much more secure for the long haul with the Fostex headphones.

[size=10pt]Good Solution. I had thought to myself that using the v-moda cable might cause issues with the TRS jack. Given it doesn’t lock in place like the stock cable it seems like ongoing use could cause a weakness in the receptacle. Has anyone had any actual problems with this? Happy to be paranoid.[/size]

Dec 11, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #2,132 of 6,388
I've not yet experienced any noticeable issues with the vmoda cable that I use 100% of the time with MD's. Of course it will depend on the user and just what kind of stress they put on the cable. I'm pretty dang careful with my headphones and rarely leave my desk, so I'm okay with the risk. 

Dec 11, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #2,133 of 6,388
^^ It's decent. Just decent. I used an e17/ipod/lod and took the MD's with me over Thanksgiving and it was okay. There was an appreciable level when I got home and plugged back into my desktop amp though. 

Thats what I figured...ill just buy a cheap DAC for now and save up for a better amp if I cant get my other one working. I know the CKKIII definitely has enough juice.

Dec 11, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #2,134 of 6,388
Quote:
Thats what I figured...ill just buy a cheap DAC for now and save up for a better amp if I cant get my other one working. I know the CKKIII definitely has enough juice.

My Balanced CK²III definitely has more than enough juice to drive the Mad Dogs.  It also really sounds good with them as it's one of the amps I prefer it with.  The Balanced CK²III is avery neutral amp and the Mad Dogs play very well with it.

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #2,135 of 6,388
^^ That's a really nice looking amp!! I'm gonna have to go balanced one day. That is the logical progression as I don't want headphones other than what I have right now. Problem is I'm in love with the lyr and would have an awful time giving it up!!

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #2,137 of 6,388
^^ Well and buying a new amp...and selling the one I have. 
wink.gif

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #2,139 of 6,388
Hm. All this talk about MDs being difficult to drive properly is making me worried. I was almost convinced I'd be okay. On my iPod touch I usually listen to music at about 90% volume, with no amp, using EQu, with a bit of low gain (Safe headroom, gain up a few dB while staying far far away from clipping, just to even it out for my loud listening needs). I was planning on pairing MDs with a ZO, but it sounds like it might not have enough juice to feed the MAD Dog for my needs. 

Does anyone have experience with the ZO Mad Dog pairing?

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #2,140 of 6,388
Quote:
Hm. All this talk about MDs being difficult to drive properly is making me worried. I was almost convinced I'd be okay. On my iPod touch I usually listen to music at about 90% volume, with no amp, using EQu, with a bit of low gain (Safe headroom, gain up a few dB while staying far far away from clipping, just to even it out for my loud listening needs). I was planning on pairing MDs with a ZO, but it sounds like it might not have enough juice to feed the MAD Dog for my needs. 

Does anyone have experience with the ZO Mad Dog pairing?

Get an amp

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #2,142 of 6,388
Just got my MAddogs,

I am totally impressed, they sound fantastic.  Let me qualify.

These cans need juice, i'm sorry they really do, and thrive with power.

First tests: LOD or Audio2DJ(24/96)->Tralucent T1->MAddogs

With the Tralucent T1, they sound great, this amp is really so nice, I
wont go on about it, but the poor T1 guy just can't get over this
perceptual bump I can detect when the headphones seems happy.
Regardless, the general effect is effortless delivery, i sense no gaps
in sound spectrum. 

Conclusion: The T1 or similar 1watt amp really is needed to enjoy, basically
I cannot not amp it since I know how much better it sounds.

Second Test:  LOD or Audio2DJ->Lyr(GE,Telefunken,GreenHornet,Russian)->MAddogs

I have now tryed my 4 different tubes sets, to get a good feel, personally I like the
PCC88-7DJ8 Telefunkens, this pair has awesome bass response, the GEs also are very
natural.  With the Tele's and Lyr cranked to about 65% volume, the Maddogs are just
incredible. Very very good definition in the lows, whereby I could isolate notes from a 
Led Zeppelin/John Paul Jones bass guitar phrasing, that after thousands of times listening I 
didn't really notice.  This is that good to me.  

Conclusion:  The Maddogs, will absolutely shine with alot of power.

I cannot really compare these to even more expensive headphones, I'm sure you could
wrangle up a better sounding set, but these are just such awesomely comfortable and
natural soundings headphones.  I'm really satisfied,  A+

l0rdr0ck

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #2,144 of 6,388
Quote:
Quote:

Pretty set on a Lyr for various reasons. But for on the go, what would you suggest?

What's your budget range?

~$150.
I was considering an E17, or cMoy, but those are common portables that might not even do MD justice. I'm also a basshead who thrives for fidelity in the rest of the spectrum, so bass boost is a must for me.

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #2,145 of 6,388
Quote:
 ~$150.
I was considering an E17, or cMoy, but those are common portables that might not even do MD justice. I'm also a basshead who thrives for fidelity in the rest of the spectrum, so bass boost is a must for me.

Objective 2 amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back