"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Nov 12, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #1,757 of 6,388
I received my Mad Dogs last week (love 'em) and so far they seem to work well with my JDSlabs C421.  I'm using the hi-gain setting and not having to turn the volume up very high.  The bass boost has come in handy for a few albums as well, although for the most part I leave it on flat.  

I also have a Leckerton Audio UHA-6s mkii coming this week, will post how they work with the Mad Dogs if anyone is interested.  

Nov 12, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #1,758 of 6,388
I'd like to add to my earlier comments that the comfort of the MD is just sublime. They are like an old worn leather jacket that makes you go ahhhh, when you put them on. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #1,759 of 6,388
I'd like to assemble a custom cable for my MD:  the problem is the 3,5 mm. plug to earcup.
It seems impossible to me  that you can't find this custom jack on the market of electronics components..

Nov 12, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #1,761 of 6,388
Quote:
I'd like to add to my earlier comments that the comfort of the MD is just sublime. They are like an old worn leather jacket that makes you go ahhhh, when you put them on. 
biggrin.gif

This is one major reasons why I decided I would use my MDs while traveling. They actually are better than or at least equal to my Beyer COPs comfort-wise...which is quite amazing.

Nov 12, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #1,762 of 6,388
Quote:
Is anybody doing a custom cable for the MD other than the v-modo cable, without doing a dual entry into the cups? 

Matt, I think if you inquire with Dan, he might have some solutions available, or consider it.  I've also heard that LFF (Paradox builder) also does some custom cable work for the Fostex, too.  I'm not sure if he limits his cable work to the Paradox, though.  However, do keep in mind, the recable efforts are futile at best.  The solder tabs require the use of aluminum solder, if one wants to replace all of the internal wiring.  Given that the internal wiring is of an "OK" quality, just using a high-end cable that terminates at the 3.5mm plug, may not be enough to improve the sound vs. the cost of the cable.  I personally think that one is best to stick with the V-Moda cable and enjoy the sound.  Put the money into some other goodies or more music.

Now, I should clarify though, that if one is quite serious about going with a more custom, single-entry cable, then there are options.  I've read of one person who used 90 degree 3.5mm connectors to plug in at the cup level.  I believe the connectors were of the Neutrik brand.  However, the plug was not deep enough, so some of the plastic had to be cut away, so the cable would properly fit in.  Also, when one looks at cable (e.g. Mogami, Canare, etc.), they tend to be a heavy jacketed cable.  Some people might be adverse to using such a heavy cable for a single entry point.  I have not sought out any cable other than 4 conductor cables.  There might be a 3 conductor cable available that might reduce some of the thickness of the jacket and make it more feasible.  Yet, I think the effort would be more than what would would achieve by any improvement in sound.

Nov 12, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #1,763 of 6,388
Thanks for the info W!! I haven't tried the v-moda cable but have one on the way. If there were something like the v moda cable that terminated to a 1/4" plug that would be nice. Then there would be no need for an adapter for those of us with 1/4" entry plugs on our amps. 

Nov 12, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #1,764 of 6,388
Quote:
Thanks for the info W!! I haven't tried the v-moda cable but have one on the way. If there were something like the v moda cable that terminated to a 1/4" plug that would be nice. Then there would be no need for an adapter for those of us with 1/4" entry plugs on our amps. 

1/8" to 1/4" adaptors are available at RadioShack, most electronics stores or on Amazon.  They are inexpensive...  

I just leave my 1/4" adaptor plugged into my desktop amp when I go portable.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 12, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #1,765 of 6,388
How much do the Mad Dogs increase the comfort? Also i've heard the Shure pads increase the bass. Do you think this would be better for electronica/alt. rock if I got the Shure pads?

Nov 12, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #1,767 of 6,388
Quote:
How much do the Mad Dogs increase the comfort? Also i've heard the Shure pads increase the bass. Do you think this would be better for electronica/alt. rock if I got the Shure pads?

Incredibly comfortable with comfort strap and dog pads. Stick with this combo for bass. 

Nov 12, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #1,768 of 6,388
Speaking of cables, I read at Fostex website that they now have a replacement cable for the T50RP that's more suited for portable use. Cable length is 1 meter and terminate to a 1/8" straight plug, while the other end is the same angled plug.

NEW! TM110B, Replacement Headphone Cable
1 meter headphone cable with locking stereo mini plug. Ideal for portable audio player use (MP3 player / phone etc.)

As for DIY cables, Neutrik plugs won't fit into the cup. The diameter of the outer hole on the cup is about 7mm, while the plug's housing is about 8.5mm. A friend suggested to use Oyaide plugs, though I've not tested it yet to be sure.

--edit: added link to the website & details from the website

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #1,769 of 6,388
What are people's opinions regarding the Dog Pads vs the Shure pads? From what I can gather from previous posts, the comfort is better, bass slam is greater, and the mids are smoother with the Dog Pads. How about the treble? Does it get much darker with the Dog Pads because I enjoy the treble the way it is now with the Shures and find the comfort just fine.

Nov 13, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #1,770 of 6,388
Quote:
What are people's opinions regarding the Dog Pads vs the Shure pads? From what I can gather from previous posts, the comfort is better, bass slam is greater, and the mids are smoother with the Dog Pads. How about the treble? Does it get much darker with the Dog Pads because I enjoy the treble the way it is now with the Shures and find the comfort just fine.

I can say (having compared both) that neither is "the better version". They have their own sonic character. However, comfort wise, I found the Dog Pads to be the better one. YMMV.

If only I can own both version.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back