"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Sep 30, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #1,247 of 6,388
Quote:

My CmoyBB from JDSLabs (1 battery configuration) couldn't even drive "properly" my Denon D5000s so I cannot imagine it driving the Mad Dogs. I know that my JDSLabs c421 could drive the Mad Dogs well (on High Gain) but it doesn't have a DAC. You could look into the Leckerton amps. I have the UHA-6SMKII and it drives the Mad Dogs well (high gain) and of course, it also has a DAC section. Not sure if it will be better than the HRT music streamer II (probably not... I haven't tried the HRT...) but you do get 2 functions in 1 little box :wink:

Good Luck!

BTW, welcome to Head-fi! :p

Upon reviewing several suggestions and reviews the UHA-6SMKII seems like the best choice at the moment. Quick question for you, what kind of output op-amp did you choose for the amp?

Sep 30, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #1,249 of 6,388
Quote:
Upon reviewing several suggestions and reviews the UHA-6SMKII seems like the best choice at the moment. Quick question for you, what kind of output op-amp did you choose for the amp?

Straight from Nick at Leckerton:

Quote:
"The op-amps in the UHA-6S.MKII are fairly easy to access and replace. You just need to remove the two screws from the front panel, and the circuit board assembly will slide out. The op-amps are socketed, so to remove them requires only a DIP puller.

I would recommend the OPA209. This has excellent all-around characteristics and works well with many types of headphones and earphones. My customers seem to find that it has a very neutral sound quality to it."

and that's the one I chose :wink:

Sep 30, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #1,250 of 6,388
Does anyone own the LFF Paradox and the Mad Dog? If so, which do you think would be best for folk, rock, experimental rock, movies, and some games(or I will use my Grado's for games.) Also, which is more comfortable?

Sep 30, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #1,251 of 6,388
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 30, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #1,252 of 6,388
I feel like I'm gonna burst... I can't wait till they come! :D

Does anyone have any idea where he ships from? If he is shipping on Monday, I can probably estimate when it will arrive (probably 2-3 days) ^o^

Sep 30, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #1,253 of 6,388
Quote:
I feel like I'm gonna burst... I can't wait till they come!
biggrin.gif

Does anyone have any idea where he ships from? If he is shipping on Monday, I can probably estimate when it will arrive (probably 2-3 days) ^o^

I think he ships from USPS. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Or maybe from SD, CA.

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #1,254 of 6,388
I just joined the team.  I may have to do some source / amp shuffling, or not.  Ordered them tonight, so they should ship this week.

Mad Dogs with the headband and dog pads.

Pico Slim and an iPod touch, and something or other from the laptop.  Anyone have a GOOD portable DAC/Amp pairing - preferably stand alone (battery powered) so I can pair with the iPod as well.  Would like to stay south of $250 new or used.  Would consider the Dragonfly, and might consider going back to a DacPort.

Thanks All!

Oct 1, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #1,255 of 6,388
Hey Dan!

Just received the email regarding the dog pads. I was going to send you an email but I guess it would be better to ask it here, do you have the measurements comparing previous Mad Dogs (the ones we have) against the "upgraded" ones with the Dog Pads?!?

I'm still thinking... not sure if I should send them to you or not...

Thanks.

Oct 1, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #1,256 of 6,388
Yes, I do.  I'm busy getting Dog Pad headphones tested and boxed for shipment, so this will need to wait until Wednesday or so as charts and graphs are not super intuitive to most people and do require explanation.

I was really disappointed the upgrade I'd envisioned wasn't possible, but for those who go this route the result will actually be better.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 1, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #1,257 of 6,388
Thanks for the prompt response as always Dan!
I'll wait a bit for your analysis and results and then make a decision :wink: I'll keep an eye on the thread during the week.

Thanks!

Oct 1, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #1,258 of 6,388
Hmm. I was disappointed to get the email. I think I will also need to wait to see the charts and some analysis from Dan before making a decision regarding sending them in for the upgrade.

Oct 1, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #1,260 of 6,388
I can shed some light on the difference between the "faulty" and intended version. I happened to get one of the faulty versions so my previous comments are no longer valid.

Dan was kind enough to send me a corrected pair of phones days after I expressed some issues withe the first pair. nearly everything I had previously had issue with has been solved. They no longer sound congested or veiled and the soundstage, imaging, clarity, and separation have improved drastically. The mids, particularly upper mids, I had disliked before have are no longer an issue. Vocals no longer seem buried and everything is now well balanced. It sounds like the entire frequency response now has room to breathe and is no longer piled up on each other competing for attention.

I was previously on the edge about keeping them, but with the improvements they are here to stay. They are a tremendous value at $300. The few days, with the improved version, the Mad Dogs have received exclusive headtime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back