"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Sep 25, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #1,186 of 6,388
Quote:

Is that the Gungnir under there?  What's your impressions on it?

Yes, it is. Impressions: Impressed, very much so. Won't say anything meaningful until I put more hours on it.

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #1,187 of 6,388
Quote:
So Brian over at BTG-Audio did a great job hardwiring and doing a dual entry on my MD.
I opted to re-terminate my cotton Q to a XLR 4-pin. 

**pic**
**pic**

That is an awesome looking rig. That with the LCD3 which you have listed in your sig shoul be be heavenly.

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #1,188 of 6,388
Quote:

That is an awesome looking rig. That with the LCD3 which you have listed in your sig shoul be be heavenly.

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with the new Schiit. And the LCD-3 and Mjolnir combo is really nice.  Gonna have to look at a rack once GS-X is added. I think I'm close to end-game for a little while.

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #1,190 of 6,388
Quote:
Paradoxper, does the Mjolnir/Gungnir get as warm as the other Schiit gear?

I know Jason advertises it gets hot like Asgard. Coming from Lyr which did get very, very hot. It's been on for 24 hours now and hasn't 
gotten past warm, very warm maybe. But it's not come close to uncomfortable like Lyr.

The heat dissipation of Gungnir feels like it is much warmer than even Mjolnir right now.

Sep 25, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #1,191 of 6,388
Quote:
This headphone is about linear bass, plain and simple. You want something otherwise, EQ the hell out of it.

I did and it's not nearly enough. Or at least how it's delivered anyway. The whole sound is very linear to me though.

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #1,193 of 6,388
your songs will still sound very good. (assuming they were encoded halfway decently). that is "enough" for these headphones to still make a difference over cheaper, lesser pairs of headphones.

While I prefer 256 AAC and above, I have a few songs that are still 128 kbps and I have noticed for a while now how they still sound better with better headphones and amps. (although these are also the songs in my library that can sound shrill with higher end phones that also have any sort of treble peaks).

Sep 25, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #1,194 of 6,388
Quote:
I did and it's not nearly enough. Or at least how it's delivered anyway. The whole sound is very linear to me though.

Right, I''m not going to schiit over your opinions or preferences, but it's clear this headphone is not for you.

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #1,195 of 6,388
Quote:
Ok, since "he" won't say anything, I will. I don't know where the misnomer of MD being a bass-head can came from. But stop it.
This headphone is about linear bass, plain and simple. You want something otherwise, EQ the hell out of it.

If it bothers you, then your preferences make it very clear that this headphone is not for you. 

And I'll quote a certain someone, I had a convo with last night. 

Some of you were comparing the MD headphones to headphones that have huge bass emphasis, like 10 db plus, and asking what's wrong with the Mad Dog.

"That's like asking why the LCD2 has no bass compared to a Beats"

Let's get this cleared up, so there's an understanding of exactly what this headphone is about.

/Rant.

and thats why beats is the best headphone
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #1,197 of 6,388
Quote:

If you're coming from primarily Denons, it's certainly a drastic shift from such a pronounced V curve to a really flat headphone.  I was a little apprehensive about getting the MD's because I know I prefer a bit of a V-curve, but Denons were overkill to the point that I couldn't enjoy the mids at all in many songs.  Going to the MD's at first I felt like the life was sucked out of my music, I stuck with them for a week, did various Gain/EQ tweaks, and now I can't really go back to Denons.  The sub-bass doesn't come close to what the Denons can pump out and rattle your brain with, but I can enjoy every other aspect of the music much more.

The sound is linear, most people have agreed it's a flat headphone, the graphs support this also, you shouldn't really expect otherwise.  With some EQ tweaks though they're capable of plenty of punch in the bass (more punch and less bloat than the Denons imo), I say give them a solid listen while you're still in your trial listening period, stay away from your Denons during this time and let your ears adjust.  See if the sound grows on you.

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #1,198 of 6,388
Indubitably, Holmes. In fact elementary. Why else would they sell so many?  :p

Of course they will sell so many, Dr Dre is a real doctor, tuned the headphone himself, and uses the headphone to produce his own beats. You can see various celebrities enjoying the sound of beats. More information will be on the beats official website about how you can hear the music the artist intended with beats. :wink:

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #1,200 of 6,388
Quote:

If you're coming from primarily Denons, it's certainly a drastic shift from such a pronounced V curve to a really flat headphone.  I was a little apprehensive about getting the MD's because I know I prefer a bit of a V-curve, but Denons were overkill to the point that I couldn't enjoy the mids at all in many songs.  Going to the MD's at first I felt like the life was sucked out of my music, I stuck with them for a week, did various Gain/EQ tweaks, and now I can't really go back to Denons.  The sub-bass doesn't come close to what the Denons can pump out and rattle your brain with, but I can enjoy every other aspect of the music much more.

The sound is linear, most people have agreed it's a flat headphone, the graphs support this also, you shouldn't really expect otherwise.  With some EQ tweaks though they're capable of plenty of punch in the bass (more punch and less bloat than the Denons imo), I say give them a solid listen while you're still in your trial listening period, stay away from your Denons during this time and let your ears adjust.  See if the sound grows on you.

Thanks for the civil response!  Actually I stayed away from my denons for a few days when I got my mad dogs, but when I put the MD's on I could instantly tell they had that more neutral signature. And there is nothing wrong with that, I just don't have a lot of experience with flat headphones like that. I think they would make killer monitors/studio headphones myself, but I don't do a ton of audio production anymore so it's mainly music and movie enjoyment so "V" phones are more what i'm looking for. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back