"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Sep 2, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #901 of 6,388
Status complete is that the order is complete. I wi be back in the office Tuesday and will have a ship date to announce this week...

Regards,

Dan

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 2, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #902 of 6,388
Quote:
Status complete is that the order is complete. I wi be back in the office Tuesday and will have a ship date to announce this week...
Regards,
Dan

Thanks Dan.

Sep 2, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #903 of 6,388
I got a pair of Mad-Dog,s from Dan and I must say they are probably worth more. (Hint Hint Dan).

Currently running them off a vintage Class A stereo amp and an Objective2 at 5x gain.

They play very clean with the stereo amp and the bass isn't lacking at all. They struggle slightly at the very last frequencies but then you would be paying a lot more to go there cleanly. Overall they are one of my all time favorite pair and I am saving up for another pair.(Lots of purchases recently so running tight).

With the O2, they play well but the bass goes down a few notches. They still retain their clean nature though. This happens whether I am running it on battery or plugged in.

Sound stage wise they are very good. A very huge and pleasant sound stage as that is my prime objective while buying a headphone. I am looking forward to modding these to increase the isolation for portable usage and that might affect the sound stage though. Will keep you posted.

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #904 of 6,388
I got a pair of Mad-Dog,s from Dan and I must say they are probably worth more. (Hint Hint Dan).

Currently running them off a vintage Class A stereo amp and an Objective2 at 5x gain.

They play very clean with the stereo amp and the bass isn't lacking at all. They struggle slightly at the very last frequencies but then you would be paying a lot more to go there cleanly. Overall they are one of my all time favorite pair and I am saving up for another pair.(Lots of purchases recently so running tight).

With the O2, they play well but the bass goes down a few notches. They still retain their clean nature though. This happens whether I am running it on battery or plugged in.

Sound stage wise they are very good. A very huge and pleasant sound stage as that is my prime objective while buying a headphone. I am looking forward to modding these to increase the isolation for portable usage and that might affect the sound stage though. Will keep you posted.

LOL Modding the mad dog, good luck with the double mod

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #905 of 6,388
I want to mod them for proper portable usage as currently they leak too much (for my taste that is). The second pair with the DogPads will be my stay at home pair.

Will pair them with an iBasso PB2 to feed them the power they need.Suggestions always welcome to increase isolation.

Sep 3, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #906 of 6,388
Quote:
I want to mod them for proper portable usage as currently they leak too much (for my taste that is). The second pair with the DogPads will be my stay at home pair.

Will pair them with an iBasso PB2 to feed them the power they need.Suggestions always welcome to increase isolation.

Have you tried the PB2 with the Mad Dogs yet? I feel it doesn't have any overhead at all for the Mad Dogs, I was considering doing a hardwire split to iBasso for the "swing" in balanced mode.

Specially for portable use because of outside noise.

Sep 3, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #908 of 6,388
Just got them. First Impression: BOY dey need serious power! More than my Beyer T90.
Packaging is very simple, no decorating and accessoires. Im a bit spoiled from the packaging of my Sennheiser Amperior I bought last week.

So far i like what i heard.

Sep 3, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #909 of 6,388

Most people said the isolation is good? Still not good enough for outside portable use?

Sep 3, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #910 of 6,388
The isolation is alright but people can still hear a fair bit and I don't want to be 'that'  guy on the bus/train/plane.

Its not as bad as the ibuds, to provide a frame of reference but just needs a bit more.

What I didn't realize is that they go pretty loud without being uncomfortable and thus the dispersion outside.

Sep 3, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #911 of 6,388
The isolation is alright but people can still hear a fair bit and I don't want to be 'that'  guy on the bus/train/plane.

Its not as bad as the ibuds, to provide a frame of reference but just needs a bit more.

What I didn't realize is that they go pretty loud without being uncomfortable and thus the dispersion outside.

As a counter point, I wear mine at the office next to one of the worst "noise pollution police man" types i have ever worked with, and he hasn't said anything except when I take them off to talk to someone and didn't pause the track. Granted, he's about 5 feet from me so someone directly next to you on a train or bus may have a different opinion, but from my perspective, the isolation is great.

-Dirk

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #912 of 6,388
So..
living in germany i paid like 420$ Dollar for them(additional shipping + duty cost). 120$ more than the average american customer and hell i still think I should have paid a little bit more(though not to the state/deliverer :p)

I do own/ have owned the dt1350, V-moda m80, senn amperior, umx3, w4 and t90. all well regarded headphones
I already do like my mad dog more than all of these listed cans(NTS ?), only the T90 is slighty ahead in terms of sq and comfort.
As i am pretty bad at describing sound signature, especially in english, i'll just make a ranking :D

1. T90
2. Mad Dog ( NEW TOY EFFECT)
3. Westone W4 2months usage, sold(too laidback for me)
4. Senn Amperior, bought last week(limited soundstage, so far no complains, maybe the comfort)
4. Dt1350 6months usage, sold ( mids too forward for me, clamping pressure and seat-dependant)
5.V-moda m80 6months usage, sold ( they didnt clamp like the beyer, but hurted much more after long listening sessions, soundwise: not enough bass and treble extension)
6. um3x 2 months usage, sold ( limited soundstage, too forward mids)

MrSpeakers service: N1!
I "threatened" him to cancel my order if he wouldnt ship a mad dog before he goes to vacation( they were out of stock) cuz  I am freaking impatient. well, here they are.

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #913 of 6,388
Quote:

What were your mods going to consist of?  Sealing the cups better?  Please keep in mind that when applying any mods, adjustments, etc., one can knock the tuning of the Fostex off.  This is quite apparent in the Fostex T50 modification thread and Dan also spends time on each pair of headphones measuring, modding, tweaking, etc.  The point of modding a pair of Fostex isn't just getting a good mod down, then repeating it.  Sure, that can cover a large percentage of it.  However, the final tweaks are unique to each pair of headphones -- and, can also vary from one cup to the other on the same pair of headphones.  I just wanted to alert you to this before you consider performing any changes that could throw off the greatness that Dan has come up with in the Mad Dogs as they currently exist.

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #914 of 6,388
Thank you for the heads-up WJE, I shall try a few methods to seal them better and see how it goes.

The biggest issue is that the earpads seem to be too conducive to leaking.Would the Dogpads help?

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #915 of 6,388
Well, this is what the MrSpeakers site says:

The Dog Pad is made of a supple and sumptuous leather, making it even more comfortable for extended listening.  The pad has a larger contact surface than the Shure 840 ear pad, along with a softer foam.  This significantly reduces the sensation of "clamping force" while increasing the quality of the seal and the isolation from ambient noise. 

So it's advertised as having some improvement in isolation.
But I guess we'll need to wait till the pads start making it to existing owners to see if anyone else notices the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back