"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Sep 4, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #932 of 6,388
Quote:

Which DT770? I don't concider DT770 PRO/80 dark at all at least, for me it's on the brighter side of neutral, a bit emphasized highs and recessed midrange.

The pro80.  I consider its large bass and recessed midrange the very point of being dark.  For reference, I also consider D2000 dark as well.  I consider the HD650 overall tonally brighter than both.

People put too much stock in treble facilitating whether a headphone is overall bright or not, there's more than just treble to a headphone's overall sound signature.

Sep 4, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #933 of 6,388
I highly recommend the Schiit Lyr with stock GE tubes for the Mad Dog.  It brings them to life even more - adds some more punch to the bass, and seems to clear up the sound even more.  It has improved the Mad Dog's so much that I am actually returning my LCD-2s because I just can't justify the cost of the LCD-2s over the MDs given the satisfaction that I'm getting from them now.

I mean I know technically the LCD-2s are better headphones, but I find myself enjoying the MDs more than the LCD-2s now with the Lyr combination.  

I just don't hear the $600 difference any more, I guess is my point.

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #935 of 6,388
Using them right at this moment with my Leckerton UHA 6SMKII ... they ... sound... EXCELLENT! (amp @ high gain). Time for more Kaskade...

Sep 4, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #936 of 6,388
Is there any relatively small portable amp that's not much more then 100$ that has enough power to run these things at loud levels? I have the e11 but I don't know if that will cut it. I mean I don't listen to it really oud, but when i'm listening to godspeed or early swans I want to turn it way up. My aiaiai's which are my current headphone are good at this, what amp could I use to listen to it with the volume that the aiaiai tma1's give me that's not much more then 100$?

Sep 4, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #938 of 6,388
Quote:

The pro80.  I consider its large bass and recessed midrange the very point of being dark.  For reference, I also consider D2000 dark as well.  I consider the HD650 overall tonally brighter than both.

People put too much stock in treble facilitating whether a headphone is overall bright or not, there's more than just treble to a headphone's overall sound signature.

It's got a thin tinny and bumped up high range that exaggerates sibilance. That's my view of it anyway- I mean it's going to be tough to find a headphone that's flat/recessed in the bass and the midrange FR, yet with extra spice above and on 7khz making it therefore undeniably bright!! It's the vshape where both the bass and the highs are over emphasized and so we have a bright bassy phone. There's no contradiction/paradox there! 
The d2k is definitely darker than the dt770 (IME) as it's upper midrange registers are more meaty, slower and calmer (post burn in). Plus the denons bass is more engaging and overshadows its sound moreso that what the bass does on the beyer. And of course, sibilance; the denon is a lot less sibilant prone having much tamer and agressive highs. For me the d2k are borderline bright but these beyers definitely cross over that line by a distance. Something like the beyer dt150 is a nice warm sounding phone.   

Sep 4, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #942 of 6,388
Quote:
Ah, but how bad is the hissing with transparent headphones like the MD's?

In regards to use with an amp with noise such as the Schiit Lyr?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back