"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Jul 8, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #301 of 6,388
Quote:
No, there isn't any loose spots that I can tell. It pivots the same amount as the other side, just with a little bit more resistance and an audible noise.

Every T50 clicks when the cup is moved and it's not on the head, that's just the plastic joint.  None "grind" unless there's dirt or a contaminant in the joint. The degree of clicking and motion varies a bit as it's not a close tolerance ball joint.

As this doesn't impact playback it's up to you if you want to return it.  If you do, no worries, I'll clean the joint.  I will be on vacation from the 11th-18th.  In my absence we'll be shipping, but I won't be doing any warranty work that week.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 9, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #302 of 6,388
So, I wanted to hear a modded Fostex and ordered the Mad Dogs (still contemplating getting the Paradoxes in the near future!!!)

Received them today....

Initial impressions... leather headband definitely great. The comfort "level" has definitely been risen (way better than stock pair, probably helped also by the SRH840 earpads...) No longer I hear the awful wonky mids (resonance I guess, as mentioned by others), so hell yeah it is definitely an audio improvement over the stock pair just for that bit! And speaking of SRH840... I actually believe the sound signature of these is WAY SIMILAR to the SRH840s!!!!!

Maybe I'm crazy but they sound almost exactly like I remember the 840s sounding. Great mids, good extension in high region without being ear piercing (unlike the 940s which can be at times), good attack and providing bass when it has to (a lot of midbass... probably why they feel a bit "warm"). I definitely have to say that bass has been tamed a little from stock and there's almost no subbass (again, 840s sound...), Running them through a tone generator... nothing on 20, 30 and on 40 is when I start hearing something resembling bass...

Definitely an improvement over the stock pair!
I will take them to work tomorrow (along with my new measuring stick, Ultrasone Signature Pros) and give it more listening time. If the Audeze's sound a bit like these (but with more subbass), then I will definitely will NOT be trying them unless I get them dirt cheap!

Right Now, these Fostex sound like something you would definitely use on a Studio Environment! (again... similar to the Shures!!!)

P.S. Just a note, I LOVE the Shure sound! :p So Maybe my brain is playing tricks on me! Has anybody else heard the 840s?
P.P.S. I would love to see how these measure against the Shures.... I guess I'll take a look tomorrow... going to sleep now. tired...!

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #303 of 6,388
I am glad you enjoy them, but the bass should have output below 20 and these may need to be replaced.  

When I heard this comment the other day I looked into it and I discovered an issue.  I have expanded production, but as a result I had a QA and process error on bass response for some of the units.  It's fixed, but some units got by in late June. 

I estimate this affected 11 units, 3 never shipped. I have matched three to head-fi and have 5 I still have to match to a user.  This week I will try to contact anyone who hasn't raised their hand but I believe may have low bass output.  

If you have a unit with this issue, PM me and I'll replace it.  

To those of you this affected, my sincere apologies.  I strive to make reliable and perfect deliveries, and I am very disappointed I let anyone down. The good news is I think you will love what you get if you liked what you have.  

Thanks again for the support and enthusiasm, and for some of you, your patience.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #304 of 6,388
Make sure you have a good seal to properly evaluate the bass. When wearing any sort of head wear I have a hard time getting a good seal and it adversely effects the low end.  I'm pretty sure mine are just fine - they aren't as prominent down low as my LCD-2 was, but it isn't bad at all.

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #305 of 6,388
Most in June were just fine, it was only a fraction of production that have the issue.  It's not that there was no output, it is just below where it should be to be in spec.

Good point; the pad seal is essential.  Eyeglass frames can break the seal, for example, or having the headband too loose or too tight.

Jul 10, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #306 of 6,388
Quote:
I am glad you enjoy them, but the bass should have output below 20 and these may need to be replaced.  

When I heard this comment the other day I looked into it and I discovered an issue.  I have expanded production, but as a result I had a QA and process error on bass response for some of the units.  It's fixed, but some units got by in late June. 

I estimate this affected 11 units, 3 never shipped. I have matched three to head-fi and have 5 I still have to match to a user.  This week I will try to contact anyone who hasn't raised their hand but I believe may have low bass output.  

To those of you this affected, my sincere apologies.  I strive to make reliable and perfect deliveries, and I am very disappointed I let anyone down. The good news is I think you will love what you get if you liked what you have.  

Thanks again for the support and enthusiasm, and for some of you, your patience.

Was kind of confused as everyone was saying that these competed with the LCDs which are known to have great mid/sub bass...

Just looking at the Shure 840 graphs and to me the look VERY similar (compared the mad dogs vs srh840 graphs from Innerfidelity) with the difference being that the Fostex should have more bass presence it seems! :wink:

YGPM.

Thanks.

Jul 10, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #307 of 6,388
Quote:
Make sure you have a good seal to properly evaluate the bass. When wearing any sort of head wear I have a hard time getting a good seal and it adversely effects the low end.  I'm pretty sure mine are just fine - they aren't as prominent down low as my LCD-2 was, but it isn't bad at all.

Agree, happens all the time with me specially since I use glasses so I always make sure of the positioning of my headphones!! But it didn't matter in this case! My cheap Panasonics could reproduce more bass than the Fostex by the way... So maybe it is a production issue... (or maybe those cheap Pannies are too good! :p )

Jul 10, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #308 of 6,388
Quote:

Dan,

The pair I have seem to fit in this category.  I had invoice ID: 93

Jul 10, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #309 of 6,388

No currently selling units have this problem, do they?

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #310 of 6,388

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #311 of 6,388
Jul 10, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #312 of 6,388
So here are my impressions for the Mad Dogs (now with 840 pads). I was one of the early adopter of Dan's offerings and chose to go with the 003 pads.
I will firstly say I am extremely pleased that I went ahead and traded in my 003 for his revised 840 mod.

The Mad Dogs have some excellent and improved bass, good extension and control. Compared to the LCD-2 or LCD-3 they don't exactly
have the extension as low or controlled. But really..Audeze is well known for astonishing good bass.
One of the most notable differences for me were the mids. Very clear and detailed, better than LCD-2's but not LCD-3's.
I'd say the LCD-3 are just much faster and have much better detail retrieval. As to soundstage I'd say the Mad Dogs have a open headed feel
much closer to the LCD-2 in this respect, but again the LCD-3 does this more naturally and accurate.
The most finnicky thing with a headphone for me is its treble. Very happy to report while being bright-er they are in no way fatiguing
nor have I experienced any sibilance. I am enjoying how the sort of veil has been lifted from the highs.

Other little things...the leather headband is a nice addition, improves comfort much more than what comes stock.
I have also noticed the 840 pads don't nearly shake off as easily or often as my 003 pads did. And overall comfort of 
the 840 pads is superior to that of the 003 pads

I have been noted to comparing my old 003 pads to the likes of LCD-2, LCD-2 Hifiman etc, Well, the Mad Dogs have me
under some serious decision making. To sell the LCD-2 or not to sell. I feel the Mad Dogs just got that much better.

Hope ya enjoyed some of my thoughts. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #313 of 6,388
Paycheck just cleared, and the trigger has been pulled.

I'm excited to receive mine! Can't wait to put my C241 and ODAC to better use.

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #314 of 6,388
I will reserve my comments for later... will send my pair back to Dan next week or so and then I'll give it more listening time and come to a conclusion because, as he mentioned, lack of bass was probably a production issue. In the meantime, back to my Signature Pros!
wink.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #315 of 6,388
As much i like to see orthos  out there, i would also like to see due recognition amongst orthoheads for those who are trailblazers. 

That laurel belongs solely to Smeggy. http://www.head-fi.org/u/9753/smeggy

Without his time and effort and insistence that he wasn't being nuts when he went on and on about how good they COULD sound with the mods he put in place, none of us would have been here.

I would at the VERY least like to see some acknowledgement of this fact. Besides, the smeggy thunderpants is still one of the best closed headphones i have ever come across. Not to mention works of art and you'd be amazed at the glances you get and the people that want to strike up conversations about it.

MrSpeakers knows this i am sure and i know I have helped a little as well in the early days of his modding with some  guidance on ways to go about improving the T50Rps..MrSpeakers has even acknowledged this in a Pm. I trust he has done the same at least to Smeggy who really is the guru of the T50RPs in my perception. The best part is that Smegster is a genuine heart of gold kinda guy. And thanks to this hobby and orthodom, I have been lucky to call him a good friend. This is why the only link i have in my signature is for Smeggy's thunderpants website. I don't care if people call me a shill or whatever, i would like to seee my friend get the proper recognition he deserves..i know he will never demand for it himself, he's too nice a bloke for that. Heck he put up a step by step modding process for people to make their own thunderpants which some people took and started to sell them for profit and even using the thunderpants name with it which is WAY uncool (which by the way I get credit for naming ).

Finally, I haven't heard this version of the T50Rp yet, nor the LFF paradox, but will definitely make time to sit down with them at the LA meet and get to meet both the guys behind them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back