"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
May 11, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #5,956 of 6,388
Quote:
Does anyone own both K550 and MDs? I would be very interested in a brief comparison 
smily_headphones1.gif

I am seeking for a closed headphone with good mids and more intimate sound than my D2000. I could get K550 for half a price of MDs.

I say go for the MD's if you want good mids and more intimate sound than the D2000.  The K550 are not what I would call intimate sounding.  They are more on the brighter side with a bit of distances to the mids, airy soundstage (although at time I think the soundstage sounded slightly artificial).  Bass is more focus on sub bass than mid bass, but at the same time I would not say their bass is anything to brag about or there strength ,then again their are people who say you have to get a good seal.  I don't know what that whole good seal is about, but based on what I hear through them, I guess I'll put myself labeled as "not getting a good seal" even though I didn't see that I didn't have a good seal.  with you coming from the D2000 and the HD202 to the K550, you will notice the lacking of bass.  The bass isn't anemic to the point of feeling like there is no bass like the AD700, but still noticeable. I felt the K550 didn't do anything that wow me and the only thing that stands out with them which is the soundstage, which sounded off to me at times.

The MD's you can read everyone else post in the last few pages to get a good idea.  The MD's are different enough to merit having both the MD and D2000.

I prefer the MD and the D2000 over the K550.

May 11, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #5,957 of 6,388
Does anyone own both K550 and MDs? I would be very interested in a brief comparison 
smily_headphones1.gif

I am seeking for a closed headphone with good mids and more intimate sound than my D2000. I could get K550 for half a price of MDs.

I had the K550s for a week and returned them. Just ordered the MDs so ill let you know. I wasn't too impressed by the K550s though. Soundstage as people mentioned was good for a closed but the high-mids bothered me. Coming from the Annie's, it's not really a fair comparison but I def feel theres a large difference in sound quality from those two and Im striving to close that gap in a closed HP.

Hopefully the MDs will be it. But if not I'm going to try out the W1000x

May 11, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #5,958 of 6,388
Working on a new cable for the Mad Dogs. Ended up using some copper wire from BTG-audio. I got it in clear so you can see the copper and black. The idea was to match the Mad Dogs colors. I also have some nice black nylon multifilament sleeving. I'm at the crossroads now that it's braided. Help me decide in the next 15-20 minutes for any of you late night lurkers. Sure I can always change it later, but I thought I would get some outside opinions. The colors are very copper/black despite the crappy picture. 

May 11, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #5,959 of 6,388
No sleeve.

May 11, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #5,961 of 6,388
Quote:
No sleeve.

I ended up too lazy to sleeve it and just finished it. Gotta remember not to do these so late. They cable worked out pretty well. I did about 45 minutes of AB testing on a variety of different genres and different quality tracks. At first I thought it was just BS mind games I was playing with myself, until I got to Mr.Brightside. I listened to just the first 10 seconds of the intro over and over and then switched -- There is clearly a difference. Good or bad difference is still kind of up in the air. What it did to that track was add depth. There was no mistaking the change. However, it also got a veiled sound which I didn't particularly like. Honestly I never believed in the cable voodoo. Perhaps one of my connections is wonky or something, but the two cables definitely sound different. Wish there was someone nearby that could verify I'm not going bonkers. 

The filing down of the neutrik right-angle connector wasn't too hard and it fits nicely. Goes in smooth and holds firm. 

May 11, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #5,963 of 6,388
Here's my latest cable.  6 foot Toxic Cable 26 AWG Pure Stranded UP - OCC Cyro Treated 7N Silver Wire, Neutrik right angles on both ends as my Bifrost/Lyr stack sits on a riser on my desk and that allows the cable to snake away better.

Adds clarity and definition to the MDs in a subtle way.  I have found that cables make a small difference, by and large.  It's more the fun of building them for me.

May 11, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #5,964 of 6,388
May 12, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #5,970 of 6,388
just found out an hour ago, the t50rp is actually a semi closed/open can...and there is a T40rp closed version.
And maddog is closed, n uses the t50rp as a base-model..true?
y not the t40rp...? noob question. 
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back