"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Apr 5, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #4,831 of 6,388
I've said it before, and I'll say it again in regards to the bass. I think a tiny bit of EQ to bump up the small 40-80Hz notch does a great job at rounding out the sound (see Dan's measurements on his site).

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #4,832 of 6,388
Quote:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again in regards to the bass. I think a tiny bit of EQ to bump up the small 40-80Hz notch does a great job at rounding out the sound (see Dan's measurements on his site).

x2

For EQ, that's the exact spot for max linearity/smoothness. 

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 5, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #4,834 of 6,388
Apr 5, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #4,836 of 6,388
In response to Preproman's earlier enquiry, YES.  We'll be demonstrating balanced phones on a Schiit Gungnir/Mjolnir stack at the New York Audio Show next weekend, and also at the meet the following weekend.   

The phones will be on the site tomorrow, terribly photographed by yours truly.  We'll have a pre-order special on the phone + cable for $349, after which there will be a price hike, as the cable costs a lot and we have to modify the phones more extensively.  Final price is TBD.  

We're still finishing up the cable details, and expect to ship in May.  Guests at the NYC events can sample a few different cables we're testing and provide feedback.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #4,837 of 6,388
Does going balanced really do anything?

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #4,838 of 6,388
P.S. I am running on very little sleep, so if I seem kind of cranky or blunt today I apologize in advance!  We were working VERY late last night...

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #4,839 of 6,388
Quote:
Any input on this? :)

The O2 has been used extensively by many people with their MDs, no problem.

Also, and I don't throw this term around much, it'll be a night and day difference between your M50 and the MD.

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #4,840 of 6,388
Quote:

First AMP question, I got one of these http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=o2full, anybody got experience with the O2 AMP + MD? 

Are they a "good" upgrade going from my ATH-M50's? 

I use a JDS Labs O2 with the 6.5x gain removed.  I use the gain setting of 1x and 2.5x depending on the volume level of the source and my mood. 
L3000.gif

Logitech Squeezebox Touch > (using optical connection) Audioengine D1 DAC > O2 amp 

Really sounds nice with plenty of headroom for listening at up to ear-splitting volumes.  The Mad Dogs with Alpha pads have replaced my ATH-M50's with this same setup.  This was a noticeable improvement to me, in almost every way. (comfort, sound quality, isolation)

The only thing that would make this setup a perfect office solution for me would be to have the ability to EQ everything the Squeezebox plays.   This is not possible on the Squeezebox with MOG or Spotify music services.  I can only EQ my own music streamed over my own media server.  When I EQ, I generally pull the upper-bass through upper-mids (200Hz ~6000Hz) down to a gradual sloping dip of -6dB in the center of this range, leaving the lower-bass and treble slightly louder when compared to the middle frequencies.

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #4,841 of 6,388
Quote:
In response to Preproman's earlier enquiry, YES.  We'll be demonstrating balanced phones on a Schiit Gungnir/Mjolnir stack at the New York Audio Show next weekend, and also at the meet the following weekend.   

The phones will be on the site tomorrow, terribly photographed by yours truly.  We'll have a pre-order special on the phone + cable for $349, after which there will be a price hike, as the cable costs a lot and we have to modify the phones more extensively.  Final price is TBD.  

We're still finishing up the cable details, and expect to ship in May.  Guests at the NYC events can sample a few different cables we're testing and provide feedback.  

Very nice!! Looking forward to some impressions of the new product. 

popcorn.gif

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #4,842 of 6,388
Well, I've heard the stock t50rp used with my S3, UD100 & Meier Quickstep and the bass had decent impact. Will the MD's have the same impact or less?

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #4,845 of 6,388
Thanks for all the response guys!

Quote:

Are these new phones something I should wait for? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back