"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Apr 5, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #4,816 of 6,388
An amp is the final percentage on a headphone like the Mad Dogs. If you want more bass, an amp isn't magically going to fix that. Look to EQ, or get another headphone.

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #4,817 of 6,388
I'm on my business trip currently and brought the freshly bought Mad Dogs with me. They even sound really good coming out only from a CriCri, worth every penny! 

Hey, my review was put up in the web, thanks a lot Dan! (Although it might be better to put it in the Dog Pads section) 

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #4,818 of 6,388
Anyone has something to say about DT 150 vs. Mad Dog w/ Alpha pads?
Would be much appreciated.

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #4,819 of 6,388
I actually bought the MDs to complement my D2000s, and now that I have them I still wouldn't agree with Mal about their similarity.  I think soundeffect's statement of "the D2000 treble is brighter, bass hit's harder, mid's slightly recessed, soundstage presentation is different, D2000 better with pop, hip hop, bass heavy music vs MD jazz, vocals, instruments" is pretty accurate.  I'm a budding audiophile who would probably make some of you sigh at my inability to detect sound signature differences very well, yet I was immediately able to distinguish a difference between them.

Of course, I'm talking about the D2K and the D5K could be different, but from what I've read they shouldn't have a completely different signature.

+1

This is basically spot on to my discoveries between the D5000 and the Mad Dogs. They are different enough to keep both, each with their own strengths over the other depending on the music.

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #4,820 of 6,388
Quote:
An amp is the final percentage on a headphone like the Mad Dogs. If you want more bass, an amp isn't magically going to fix that. Look to EQ, or get another headphone.

I have a nice collection of amps, and some definitely project more impact and weight.  It's not magic, and it's not EQ,  It's just more solid. Transformed?  No, but there's a notable change.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 5, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #4,821 of 6,388
Amps can only do so much. It's not going to magically turn the MD into a basshead can. The MD isn't that hard to drive like say an HD650 to where it will transform the bass, but hey, if someone wants to spend hundreds of dollars on a 1db bass boost (if that), to each their own. A subtle EQ will transform the bass more than any amp ever will, IMO, and it's free.

The MD wasn't made to be bassy, I'm sure you will agree, so I don't see the problem of recommending EQ or an actual headphone that highlights the bass.

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #4,822 of 6,388
Quote:
Amps can only do so much. It's not going to magically turn the MD into a basshead can. The MD isn't that hard to drive like say an HD650 to where it will transform the bass, but hey, if someone wants to spend hundreds of dollars on a 1db bass boost (if that), to each their own. A subtle EQ will transform the bass more than any amp ever will, and it's free.

I didn't say bass head, of course it's not doing that, but you will hear and feel the change.  And it doesn't have to be thousands, simply moving up to something like an Asgard with high power capability can make a notable difference, it hardly breaks the bank.  And usually better amps have better performance through the whole spectrum, so there are many benefits.  

If someone wants bass head tooth rattling, sure, use EQ, but if you want more power and finesse in bass step up the amp. 

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #4,823 of 6,388
Quote:

I didn't say bass head, of course it's not doing that, but you will hear and feel the change.  And it doesn't have to be thousands, simply moving up to something like an Asgard with high power capability can make a notable difference, it hardly breaks the bank.  And usually better amps have better performance through the whole spectrum, so there are many benefits.  

If someone wants bass head tooth rattling, sure, use EQ, but if you want more power and finesse in bass step up the amp. 

This is my experience as well.

Dan:

Do you have an amp with a 4-pin balanced output yet?

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #4,824 of 6,388
Quote:

This is my experience as well.

Dan:

Do you have an amp with a 4-pin balanced output yet?

Not yet, but watch my twitter feed today.  :)

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #4,825 of 6,388
I second that.  When I want a little more kick I just move the EQ and it does just the trick.  Depending on the mood we can go flat and let the amp do the work or kick up bass, mids, or highs as the mood calls for.  Just get a good enough amp to clear up muddy sounds then fine tune with an EQ.

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #4,826 of 6,388
My amp pumps out 2 watts to the MD (50ohms), and bass is linear and flat... not really anything that I'd consider bassy by any means. It's a nice balanced bass, but nothing I'd call lively or engaging (bass-wise). The LCD2, HD650, HE-400, K702 Anniversary all have fuller and more engaging bass than the Mad Dog.

I wasn't saying an amp can't improve it. I'm saying that once you get to a certain point, you can't expect a miraculous change. The MD isn't going to change enough from one amp to another to where someone wanting more bass is automatically gonna be satisfied. A simple boost in bass is free, and will do more to the bass than any amp will.

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #4,827 of 6,388
One can always keep an eye out for a used KICAS Caliente if they want more bass 
size]
 (it gives a roughly 3dB sloped boost)

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #4,828 of 6,388
Quote:

I agree, unfortunately for the consumer, typically the more you spend the better the performance. I plugged the Mad Dogs into my LG, with a pair of Sylvania 6SN7WGT tubes, and it just sounds simply sublime. It opened things up immensely, and tighten up the bass quite a bit. It sounded much better than through my Burson, and I actually thought that was a decent pairing before I tested out the MD's on my main rig. 

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #4,829 of 6,388
Quote:

I agree, unfortunately for the consumer, typically the more you spend the better the performance. I plugged the Mad Dogs into my LG, with a pair of Sylvania 6SN7WGT tubes, and it just sounds simply sublime. It opened things up immensely, and tighten up the bass quite a bit. It sounded much better than through my Burson, and I actually thought that was a decent pairing before I tested out the MD's on my main rig. 

Interesting! I tried rolling my Lyr with Sylvania Green Hornet tubes, and they were unusably microphonic, though I loved their clarity when they weren't ringing like a bell every time I typed (really!).  I know that wasn't the Lyr!  So I'm back to stock, but looking for a better tube.   

I also noticed a big swing in sound when I switched from the Burson 160D to the Conductor, FWIW.  I loved the 160D but the Conductor is a clear step up in DAC and Amp.

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #4,830 of 6,388
Quote:
I wasn't saying an amp can't improve it. I'm saying that once you get to a certain point, you can't expect a miraculous change. The MD isn't going to change enough from one amp to another to where someone wanting more bass is automatically gonna be satisfied. A simple boost in bass is free, and will do more to the bass than any amp will.

That is a statement I agree with.    

Really, the answer depends on how much "more" someone is asking for, budget, and their other goals.  "More" might mean "I want 12dB more when I play hip hop but love this as is for jazz" or it might mean "It seems a tad lean to me, what do I do to make it feel more visceral."  

EQ is a free and can solve "large" tonality adjustments, which is great when people want a "sound" for a genre, but an amp can have a pretty obvious effect on bass for people looking to optimize the system overall, not fundamentally alter it.  Budget and many considerations go into that decision...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back