"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Dec 5, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #2,026 of 6,388
Quote:

That said, how do MD do with glasses?

I've got large ears and chunky glasses and the MDs have been superbly comfortable (with the dog pads, haven't tried the others). The clamping pressure isn't enough to cause my glasses to move or pinch in any way and the leather on the pads is just so lush and comfy and seals itself nicely around the stems of my glasses in front of my ears. 

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #2,028 of 6,388
Dan is sending my MDs back after checking them out. We had some very good discussions, and I'm looking forward to finally putting up a comparison between my MD and Paradox. It'll probably happen sometime after the 14th. These last two weeks of my masters program (well, fall semester, at least) have been horrible. Too busy. If I get a break in there somewhere, I might post some stuff.

I can't say that it'll be extremely lengthy, as I like to keep things to the point. It will have more of an objective focus, and I will be pulling information from publicly available measurements. What I can say for sure is that I still think people will be surprised. :wink:

Small spoiler...I hear a lot about Dan's excellent customer service. Whether or not you'll be satisfied with the headphone, I can't say (but you should be). However, I can assure you that customer service is top-notch. :)

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #2,029 of 6,388
Quote:
Hmm I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. Exactly how portable are the MDs? They don't need to be terribly portable, as I have a portable set on their way, but in comparison to most other fullsized portable cans...? Any comment on the flexibility/sturdyness of the headband?

I mostly can't decide if I want supra or circumaural cans. These two seems to be contenders, other than the on/over ear difference, and that's where I'm having problems deciding.

I'm pretty sure, as it looks, I'm gonna end up with both, and sell the one I don't like of the two, but I'm gonna put my bets on either keeping both, or just MD considering comfort is a big thing for me.

Well, they isolate well if that's what you're looking for. I've used them on a plane/in airports. Due to the light clamp and weight, if you bend down, they will fall off your head. As long as you're careful, they are good for portability. However if you want a headphone that you put on your head and don't worry about, look elsewhere. Dan does ship these with the V-Moda cable now which is shorter (6' vs 10') and terminates in an 1/8" plug. I have only used mine with the stock cable while traveling and all I can say is: long stock cable is long.

Headband is rubber with a metal strip running through it. It is quite sturdy. They got tossed around some in my backpack during travel with no issues. But I'm also very careful with my electronics so YMMV.

If you want portability and isolation, I'd get circumaural. With supra-aural cans, I've found, there isn't enough isolation for noisy environments. Outside of that it is preference. I can't stand supra-aural headphones whereas my roommate thinks circumaural are too uncomfortable (sweaty, hot, etc.).

MD's are the most comfortable headphone I've worn. Think of two large soft earmuffs. The comfort strap does make a big difference as well for on top of your head comfort. For kicks I took mine off. Not nearly as comfortable as with it.

Looks like others will get your glasses comment covered. I only wear frameless glasses (thin wire temples) which have been comfortable with most headphones, unless there is a large clamping force which the MDs do not have. Even so, I can usually wear them for a few hours before they become uncomfortable. So these days, I stick to contacts as much as possible with headphones, no matter the comfort.

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #2,030 of 6,388
The MD's are much more comfortable than the DT1350's.  The grip is much stronger on the DT1350's.  The mad dogs have a much softer grip, they are big, heavier and loose and much more comfortable.  TheMD's are great for sitting at a desk, not so great for activity.  The MD's are as comfortable as anything with glasses.  Some smaller earcups let you put the earpiece of the glasses up over the top, but the MD's sit over the earpiece.  If you want on the go headphones, the DT1350's are much better.  If you want tough, transportable headphones to use at a desk or library table or something, the MD's are great - this is how I use them.  The Headroom headphone bags work really well to protect them before you stuff them in a messenger bag or backpack by the way.

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #2,031 of 6,388
Quote:
Hmm I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. Exactly how portable are the MDs? They don't need to be terribly portable, as I have a portable set on their way, but in comparison to most other fullsized portable cans...? Any comment on the flexibility/sturdyness of the headband?

Can't really comment on portability because my idea of portability is taking my MDs, put them in a cheapo headphone bag and take them to work. I wouldn't use them as my portables just because they are not heavy "clampers" and although they haven't jumped out of my head even when headbanging, I just wouldn't use them for that purpose. Can they be used as a portable? Of course.

The MDs feel like pillows... I use glasses, not ultra thick frames but they feel excellent. These are easily one of the most comfortable headphones I have ever bought! (if not the most comfortable.)

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #2,032 of 6,388
I'm sold XD

I'm still curious as to how the bass extension compares to the DT1350, I'm putting my bets on it being similar with the DogPads, and the comfort ratio is increasingly in favour of MD.

Dec 5, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #2,033 of 6,388
Quote:
I'm sold XD

I'm still curious as to how the bass extension compares to the DT1350, I'm putting my bets on it being similar with the DogPads, and the comfort ratio is increasingly in favour of MD.

I like the bass extension better - it is just more honest and true to the music.  The DT1350's were good, but as I said somewhere above, it seemed they had a bit of bass boost somewhere in the freq. range.  I can't point to curves or anything to bear this out, it just seemed that way to me.  Unless you are a basshead that turns your speaker rig or car rig subwoofer up to accentuate the bass - the MD's are awsome in this regard.  If you like boosted and accentuated bass, look elsewhere - these aren't the right headphones for this use.

Dec 5, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #2,034 of 6,388
I like the bass extension better - it is just more honest and true to the music.  The DT1350's were good, but as I said somewhere above, it seemed they had a bit of bass boost somewhere in the freq. range.  I can't point to curves or anything to bear this out, it just seemed that way to me.  Unless you are a basshead that turns your speaker rig or car rig subwoofer up to accentuate the bass - the MD's are awsome in this regard.  If you like boosted and accentuated bass, look elsewhere - these aren't the right headphones for this use.

Double sold

edit: I should note I am a basshead, but prefer the bass to be truer to the recording in a headphone, while still allowing headroom for eqing (or amping) the bass to my liking. My pc speaker setup has the subwoofer knob set between 9 and 11 o'clock, anymore and I find the bass too much, any less, and its too neutral for my taste.

Dec 6, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #2,035 of 6,388
subed

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #2,036 of 6,388
Quote:

Quote:
Double sold
edit: I should note I am a basshead, but prefer the bass to be truer to the recording in a headphone, while still allowing headroom for eqing (or amping) the bass to my liking. My pc speaker setup has the subwoofer knob set between 9 and 11 o'clock, anymore and I find the bass too much, any less, and its too neutral for my taste.

I'm hoping others will chime in and give you a good range of opinion, as it seems pretty divided.  some here feel they lack bass, and some (majority? maybe) feel basically as I do.  I had the Denon D5000 and then the D7000 for quite some time.  The Denon brothers have a bunch more visceral bass in comparison.  There is a bass drop in Evanescence "Haunted" on the Fallen album, about 5 measures in, that was chest and skull rattling with the Denons.  It is neither chest nor skull rattling with the Mad Dogs.  It is played true and in balance with the rest of the music.  You hear it, not feel it.  I hope this helps a bit.

I'll reiterate - I really, really like the Mad Dog signature, and that is coming from a few bass heavy cans - the Denons and the Ultrasone Pro 750 and HFI 780 (Note - it took two pairs for me to determine I am not an Ultrasone fan).

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #2,037 of 6,388
Quote:
Double sold

The Mad Dog with Dog Pads should be good for you. If you feel a need of more coloration, you can always tinker with your other gear in your setup.

In my case, I like to pair my MD with HRT MSII as the DAC but will be looking for a clean and warm amp to replace my old Sansui which is very warm / bassy. For (trans)portable, I'm happy pairing mine with the Topping D1 Mark II.

Dec 6, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #2,038 of 6,388
Quote:
Speaking of cables, I read at Fostex website that they now have a replacement cable for the T50RP that's more suited for portable use. Cable length is 1 meter and terminate to a 1/8" straight plug, while the other end is the same angled plug.
[/I]
As for DIY cables, Neutrik plugs won't fit into the cup. The diameter of the outer hole on the cup is about 7mm, while the plug's housing is about 8.5mm. A friend suggested to use Oyaide plugs, though I've not tested it yet to be sure.
--edit: added link to the website & details from the website

Any news about Oyaide plug (straight or right angle)? Does it fit into the cup with no need of using a cutter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back