Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
May 21, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #1,862 of 3,495
Fidelia update: I'm getting hooked on the FHX processor! For some reason, my app "reset" and it's letting me have another "trial period" of all the features (which are paid add-ons later).

The first time 'round, I could *not* get it to work effectively, and sound good to me. It's *possible* ... that it was set out-of-phase by default - because I seem to recall it sounding that way when first testing it - it sounded so "off" to me, I couldn't even get close.

Now, (in phase) I'm really digging it with *most* recordings. There certainly are exceptions, when I prefer no cross-feed (FHX) ... like a lot of late 60s/early 70s rock, which sounds so great to begin with.

I only wish now that the Fidelia app would get it together and fix the lousy playlist functions. (I'd feel better investing more money in it if it didn't have certain "clumsy" features).

May 23, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #1,863 of 3,495
Hello Audiophiles!

I ran across this fairly new app called "Boom" in the mac app store.

Now, It's not my place to give this app raving reviews when it comes to the technical aspects of computer audio / software since I'm a noob, but my first impressions of this app are pretty impressive. Just messing with the preset settings, the sound quality is amazing with my Sony XB500's. It features and EQ for custom settings as well, and works with a slew of musical apps. (i.e. iTunes, Spotify, etc.....)

Any audio veterans care to give insight?

http://www.globaldelight.com/boom/

May 23, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #1,864 of 3,495
I have one big complaint about the Apple Remote app, but maybe it has something to do with the way I have the app/iTunes set up.  When I do a search by artist and then pick an album, the remote will put ALL of the songs by that artist in the queue for playback.  It's not a big deal if I only have one album or if I pick the last album by that artist.  But let's say I pick "A Hard Day's Night," which is the first of 14 albums I have of The Beatles, all 14 albums will go into the queue.  Is there a setup preference that I'm missing that'll let my play only the album I picked?  Any help would be appreciated.

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #1,865 of 3,495
Audirvana Plus has just been upgraded from version 1.4.6 to version 1.5 with support for Audio plugin (only Audio Unit format but no support for VST/RTAS formats). I have tried with the same audio setup as previous version and it works well as before. Have also tried trial/free version of Virtual Tube Preamp plugin from Studio Devil (http://www.studiodevil.com/products/virtual_tube_preamp), real time control of all parameters presented in window of the audio plugin work flawlessly. I have also stream audio output of Audirvana Plus through Airplay protocol (Preferred Audio Device under Audio System tab of application preferences window) to latest generation of Apple TV without any issue (settings in Audirvana Plus application is exactly the same as before without alteration).

So right now if you want to play with audio plugins, you can have a choice of application between Audirvana Plus version 1.5 or Fidelia. As someone has pointed out in this forum, audio plugin can enhance one aspect but compromise another aspect of audio output, and a good/professional plugin is never cheap. Anyway I am happy with running Audirvana Plus without any plugin as I no longer appreciate warm tube sound (making all songs sound almost the same regardless of genre/singer). For someone who do not want to bid with high price in ebay for physical/rare NOS tubes (and break them carelessly later on), perhaps a tube audio plugin is a viable alternative.

Followings is memory footprint when playing the song "Wicked Game" by IL Divo (VBR MP3 format ripped from standard audio CD through LAME encoder with extreme settings). The Audirvana Plus application is completely separated from iTunes with iTunes playlist loaded into it. User interface and playlist window of Audirvana Plus application are disabled in the application with only icon visible in Mac OS Finder's dock. Play control is done through Apple Remote Control without iTunes running. In other words, iTunes is completely out of picture as what I have intended (until Apple has done something to save the bloatware like firing all responsible for its development).

Audio hardware setup:
iMac USB 2.0 port (mid-2011 model, 2.8 GHz Core i7, 16 GB DDR3, 256 GB SSD)
> WireWorld Ultraviolet USB cable
> NuFore Direct-Digital Integrated Amplifier (USB digital audio input to speaker output directly)
> Wharfedale Diamond 122 bookshelf speakers

Application settings:
Maximum memory for tracks preload:  5,504 MB
Exclusive Access Mode:  On
Direct Mode:  On
Integer Mode:  On / Model 1
Volume Control Type:  DAC Only
Sample Rate Converter:  iZotope 64-bit SRC / Best Quality
Forced Upsampling:  Maximum Sample Rate

Memory footprint:
Real Memory:  405 MB
Virtual Memory:  8 GB
Shared Memory:  0 byte
Private Memory:  358 MB
Virtual Private Memory:  690 MB

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #1,866 of 3,495
After Audirvana Plus's recent updates, I am quite satisfied with the changes they made to the iTunes integration feature. They made it possible to adjust playback position within iTunes itself instead of through Audirvana Plus, which was annoying since you had to have both windows showing to have full playback/library browsing features.

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #1,867 of 3,495
Quote:
Hello Audiophiles!

I ran across this fairly new app called "Boom" in the mac app store.

Now, It's not my place to give this app raving reviews when it comes to the technical aspects of computer audio / software since I'm a noob, but my first impressions of this app are pretty impressive. Just messing with the preset settings, the sound quality is amazing with my Sony XB500's. It features and EQ for custom settings as well, and works with a slew of musical apps. (i.e. iTunes, Spotify, etc.....)

Any audio veterans care to give insight?

http://www.globaldelight.com/boom/

If it actually runs a near system level, that looks like it will provide a good parametric eq and pre-amp control. I'm skeptical of their presets, but that's always the case. 

I don't think I'll bother - since I have other tools that do that well (audio hijack pro, and dedicated VST and AU plugins), but looks good. 

Jun 12, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #1,868 of 3,495
I totally agree; none of these apps are going to improve or change audio quality dramatically, if at all.  But getting hog mode and automatic sample rate conversion while being able to run iTunes with its own interface is definitely worth $10.00.  (And I got in with an early $5.00 version).  

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #1,869 of 3,495
Does Bit Perfect play FLAC files, on a Mac in iTunes?

Does it play 24/96 files from HD tracks?

Thanks much.

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #1,872 of 3,495
Thanks very much for the tips. I do have XLD already so that's a start...

I'm beginning to get a bit annoyed with Fidelia requiring a restart (of the app). It is never buggy while using it, but if I come back to it after a couple days it will inevitably need to be quit and then opened again.

Am I understanding you correctly, that bit perfect will allow me to play 24/96 AIFF files?

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #1,873 of 3,495
Quote:
Thanks very much for the tips. I do have XLD already so that's a start...

I'm beginning to get a bit annoyed with Fidelia requiring a restart (of the app). It is never buggy while using it, but if I come back to it after a couple days it will inevitably need to be quit and then opened again.

Am I understanding you correctly, that bit perfect will allow me to play 24/96 AIFF files?

What is the computer that your using.  If your on a Mac you have to reset your Midi audio.

Jun 15, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #1,874 of 3,495
I have just purchased Fidelia and added my whole lossless iTunes library to it and the compared the sound quality to itunes. The result is really surprising FiDelia sounds fantastic compared to iTunes even though they are playing the same lossless music. I have chosen the iZotope sampler so maybe that makes a difference but wow does it make a difference. And all this time it was just sitting on my Dock unused. What a surprise. 

Jun 16, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #1,875 of 3,495
I'm curious, how is Fidelia's handling of playlists now? It drove me mad that playlists created in Fidelia could not be rearranged in alphabetical order or put into groups or anything else. That is one of the reasons I went for Audirvana (which just uses m3u playlists). I rip and buy all my music in FLAC, so I am not going to rely on iTunes to organize playlists!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back