Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Apr 13, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #1,831 of 3,495
Quote:
Yeah I just loaded all of my HDTracks music and see what you're saying.

^ that

SWAP used 1.06 GB ?  I hope you are enjoying the lags on OS X.

You can only release that memory if you purge the cache. ( purge command in terminal ) 

That is something abnormal for a music player... Say I am only listening to music and the 16GBs of RAM loaded aren't enough.... Well.. well... Gonna stick with SongBird for now.

VLC is very bad with FLAC, too much distortion even with nighty builds.

FIdelia doesn't support keyboard control keys ( Play stop next etc.. ) 

Apr 13, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #1,832 of 3,495
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I just loaded all of my HDTracks music and see what you're saying.

^ that

You can only release that memory if you purge the cache. ( purge command in terminal ) 

That is something abnormal for a music player... Say I am only listening to music and the 16GBs of RAM loaded aren't enough.... Well.. well... Gonna stick with SongBird for now.

I actually don't know how RAM works...OS X was running just fine when I was playing that monster of a playlist (110+ songs) in Audirvana Plus. I didn't notice any serious lag problems.

Apr 13, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #1,833 of 3,495
Quote:
Audirvana has memory leak issues... I installed the 1.4.6 version and it's buggy as hell....

I lowered the amount of memory reserved to 500MB but after an hour of playing it's using 11GB of RAM  ( Yes 11 ) 

Everytime I move to the next track the memory consumption increases by 25-40 MBs... 

Worst part of the story is that the software shows that it's using only 500MB Real Memory in Activity Monitor but the reality is that it's using much much more.....

And it's not over, when you quit the application it doesn't release the memory back !! It only frees 500MBs, I have to reboot my Mac or type "purge" in terminal to free up the inactive RAM 

It's not a memory leak, it's a misunderstanding of how virtual memory works in Mac OS X. Try this: Get two Macs networked and open up a shared disk from one on the other. Copy a folder with a few thousand files in and watch the inactive memory fill up the RAM. You'd think this is a memory leak, but it's actually intentional. The idea is to keep recent data in memory in case it needs to be accessed again soon after, but mark it as inactive so it can be quickly over-written. It is effectively free memory.  A similar thing happens when you run Audirvana.  

If you purge that inactive memory, in some cases you can end up with your machine slowing down as quite a bit of data that was in the inactive memory ends up being accessed from the hard drive again.

Apr 13, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #1,834 of 3,495
Quote:
I actually don't know how RAM works...OS X was running just fine when I was playing that monster of a playlist in Audirvana Plus. I didn't notice any serious lag problems.

You won't notice lags unless you launch new applications because all your RAM is reserved, system is using your HDD instead of RAM to cache memory. Unless you are using an SSD, that would be detrimental to the performance overall. Application launch time will be significantly higher.

Apr 13, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #1,835 of 3,495
Quote:
Quote:
I actually don't know how RAM works...OS X was running just fine when I was playing that monster of a playlist in Audirvana Plus. I didn't notice any serious lag problems.

You won't notice lags unless you launch new applications because all your RAM is reserved, system is using your HDD instead of RAM to cache memory. Unless you are using an SSD, that would be detrimental to the performance overall. Application launch time will be significantly higher.

Yeah I'm using a SSD. >.>
Doing the same thing on my old MacBook with a HDD on the other hand, it would definitely lag like crazy *I'm not going to try it, hahaha*.

Apr 13, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #1,836 of 3,495
Quote:

It's not a memory leak, it's a misunderstanding of how virtual memory works in Mac OS X. Try this: Get two Macs networked and open up a shared disk from one on the other. Copy a folder with a few thousand files in and watch the inactive memory fill up the RAM. You'd think this is a memory leak, but it's actually intentional. The idea is to keep recent data in memory in case it needs to be accessed again soon after, but mark it as inactive so it can be quickly over-written. It is effectively free memory.  A similar thing happens when you run Audirvana.  

If you purge that inactive memory, in some cases you can end up with your machine slowing down as quite a bit of inactive memory ends up being accessed again.

yeah sorry I know how RAM works, first I thought it was a memory leak then I edited the first post when I noticed that it was inactive, forgot to correct the leak claim.

However this should be freed once the application exits. It's not the case. I'd rather purge the cache than hear my HDD bloating and struggling all the time.

Audirvana gives you the option to allocate active RAM as much as you want, say 5GB-10GB... but then, I find it useless if the system will cache it.

Fidelia, itunes, Songbird and other players don't have similar impact on the PC performance. That's only the case with Audirvana.

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #1,837 of 3,495
I have Audirvana remember my playlist which has something like 1000-2000 songs in it and I don't have this problem at all.  I'm using a Macbook, 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8Gb RAM, Integer Mode On and 2Gb dedicated to A+.  Using iTunes with A+ will sometimes cause issues that you describe but I use a free app called FreeMemory and it will dump what A+ has saved in Inactive.

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #1,838 of 3,495
Quote:

Play/Stop - Spacebar
Next song - Command-Rt. Arrow
Prev. song - Cmd-Left Arrow
Shuffle    -   Option-Cmd-S
Enable/Disable effects - Cmd-D

there may be more, I'm not sure ... that's all I know.  
smile_phones.gif

The remote-control App for iDevice is great too.

Apr 14, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #1,839 of 3,495
Quote:
Quote:

Play/Stop - Spacebar
Next song - Command-Rt. Arrow
Prev. song - Cmd-Left Arrow
Shuffle    -   Option-Cmd-S
Enable/Disable effects - Cmd-D

there may be more, I'm not sure ... that's all I know.  
smile_phones.gif

The remote-control App for iDevice is great too.

I think the point was that you can't use the media-control keys like Audirvana Plus. Pressing the spacebar in Firefox, for example, won't play/pause the music.

Apr 14, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #1,840 of 3,495
Quote:
I have Audirvana remember my playlist which has something like 1000-2000 songs in it and I don't have this problem at all.  I'm using a Macbook, 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8Gb RAM, Integer Mode On and 2Gb dedicated to A+.  Using iTunes with A+ will sometimes cause issues that you describe but I use a free app called FreeMemory and it will dump what A+ has saved in Inactive.

....as well as what all other apps have. Immediately afterwards, unless you have an SSD, enjoy the incredible lag as your system re-loads a heap of data from disk.  The Mac OS X memory system works fine and doesn't need messing with. The problem is more many apps having become bloatware over the last decade, full of unnecessary eye candy.

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #1,841 of 3,495
I'm currently trying out the Fidelia demo and so far I'm impressed with it - the iZotope sampler having, to my ears at least, a clear advantage over the standard apple samplers in terms of separation and air. I also like that it's not dependent on iTunes being open as I have 2 iTunes libraries, one for serving my iToys and one specifically for the purpose of archiving CDs into lossless format.

I've played with the advanced package and could not really find anything that improved the sound further, but that's probably because I don't have the faintest idea what I'm doing with the settings. Also as I'm not using, and am unlikely to use anything above 44.1 16bit lossless material, therefore I don't really see what loading the whole track into memory will give to me. The "hog" mode is interesting, but as I can tell the system to use the standard sound and Fidelia to use the DAC there seems to be no need real need for this from my point of view.

The FHX add-on is not for me. It's interesting, but found nothing there which I could see myself using with any regularity, if at all.

The only bad point really is the library which really looks as if could have come out of the 90's - definitely a case of letting engineers to close to the UI programming :wink: but I can live with it.

So, I'm about to pull the trigger on the basic version, but only so long as the basic version supports the iZotope sampling, and the abilty to add the standard Apple effect filters, mainly for equalisation should I need it.

If anybody could confirm that the basic package will do what I want then I'd really appreciate it as the site App Store description and the Fidelia site don't appear to be entirely clear on this.

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #1,842 of 3,495
With the basic version of Fidelia you can run AUs such as Apple's EQ. The isotope resampler also works when the volume is being attenuated. So, yes I think Fidelia will do all that you require.

Apr 14, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #1,844 of 3,495
I think the point was that you can't use the media-control keys like Audirvana Plus. Pressing the spacebar in Firefox, for example, won't play/pause the music.

I see your point:. The "media control keys" on the keyboard would control iTunes instead of Fidelia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back