Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Aug 17, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #1,441 of 3,495
I could be wrong. I'll dig around in the documentation. 

Aug 18, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #1,442 of 3,495
Thanx!

It seems it can handle it, the manual doesn't mention it. Not big issues since it's only a few albums that is one track with cue file.

Im getting a bit mad about these players i ultimately decided to get fidelia as i think i get a little more depth with it compared to audirvana plus, and that it has FHX which potential will make  my newly ordered Sony MDR ZX700 sound better.

There however small stuff that drives me crazy 

* Can't use the OSX keyboard media key's (doesn't seem to be able to map them to functions in Fidelia either.

* "Next" button won't work at the end of the playlist 

* Lack of a simple playlist like (adding files to the library is slow and clunky) Audirvana, i would prefer a audirvana playlist and the Fidelia Itunes playlist integration

* Having the option to have the player "always float" on top 

I'll probably get it anyway...

Aug 18, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #1,443 of 3,495
I'd like to Frankenstein all the best attributes of other players into Amarra! 
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 18, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #1,446 of 3,495
Quote:
Is iTunes a bad player for lossless music, even if I raise the volume up to max.

Then there should be no difference between "audiophile" apps like Amarra and iTunes, right?

Oh, there is a difference. Raising Itunes volume to max and turning of its crap software will you give you bit perfect audio,
but all of the mentioned music players offer increased fidelity. 

Aug 18, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #1,447 of 3,495
Having had Amarra, Fidelia, Audirvana Plus, Decibel and iTunes (of course), the stock iTunes is by no means bad.

Sure, these audiophile software improve upon the SQ. However, there are many times whereby I am running iTunes nakedly and wasn't aware that I did not turn on those software.The SQ difference, when scrutinized and concentrated, is 'big'. However, when not being actively compared, I may fail to discern whether I am listening through them or just the stock iTunes.

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #1,449 of 3,495
Quote:
Having had Amarra, Fidelia, Audirvana Plus, Decibel and iTunes (of course), the stock iTunes is by no means bad.

Sure, these audiophile software improve upon the SQ. However, there are many times whereby I am running iTunes nakedly and wasn't aware that I did not turn on those software.The SQ difference, when scrutinized and concentrated, is 'big'. However, when not being actively compared, I may fail to discern whether I am listening through them or just the stock iTunes.

I to often use Itunes (When Amarra won't work) and using Bitperfect don't notice what Itunes is missing much.
Quote:
So they act like an equalizer? What do you mean with "its crap software"?

Not exactly. What I mean by crap software is Itunes playback: Crossfade,enhancer, EQ, etc.

Why don't you go ahead and download Amarra,Audirvana, Puremusic, Fidelia and use the trial period to evaluate each players
sound and better inform yourself.

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #1,450 of 3,495
Quote:
Easy tiger no need to get so defensive. First i didn't call you a liar, secondly I'm sure not that naive to think that your own experience is the ultimate benchmark.

In short it's great you got Amarra to work for you on you systems, that doesn't detract from the fact there is A LOT of users who had/have problem with it running on multiple OS's.

Read back through what I was responding to and where you jumped in to contest what I said about my experience, seeming to negate my experience with it.  Did I read that wrong?  If so I apologize.

I've been using Amarra since RMAF 2009, with multiple software and OSX updates and various Macs, and the only problem I recall having had with Amarra was lack of gapless playback and skipping music when not enough RAM (esp in Lion).  I didn't say it was like this will all users - please don't put words in my mouth.  When I said "not with my copy" that could also be read as saying that my case is the exception.

Aug 19, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #1,451 of 3,495
Quote:

Read back through what I was responding to and where you jumped in to contest what I said about my experience, seeming to negate my experience with it.  Did I read that wrong?  If so I apologize.

I've been using Amarra since RMAF 2009, with multiple software and OSX updates and various Macs, and the only problem I recall having had with Amarra was lack of gapless playback and skipping music when not enough RAM (esp in Lion).  I didn't say it was like this will all users - please don't put words in my mouth.  When I said "not with my copy" that could also be read as saying that my case is the exception.

That's one of the biggest problems with Amarra. Inconsistency in how it works. The Amarra thread is littered with frustrated people all across different OS versions.
Amarra is just finicky with no solution in site, but it still does provide the "best" sound of all music players. Count your blessings and enjoy it! 
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #1,452 of 3,495
I haven't been around on this topic for quite some time. I've been reading the last 10 pages or so to see if there was anything new & interesting happening on this front. Not much is my conclusion.

I would just want to let you know that I'm still a very satisfied user of Decibel. Very stable, excellent sound quality and easy handling. My original comparison between the various packages showed that with all 'direct access/integer mode' players there was no noticeable difference in audio quality for me (playing on Stax/Senheiser/Etymotic phones and Audio-GD dacs). I play mainly FLAC files and the only thing I'm missing once in a while is a music browser. But since I have my entire collection structured quite well, this is not a real issue.

Aug 19, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #1,453 of 3,495
"I wished one could merge these two players. I actually prefer Fidelias itunes integration as you don't need intunes open. But i very much prefer Audirvanas playlist opposed to Fidelias library."

I agree - I actually ended up using the iPhone app instead of the playlist because it has all the usual artist, album, playlist choices.

Aug 19, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #1,454 of 3,495
Have any of you used LMS/squeezeplayer for local Flac playback? It's the best free solution I've been able to come up with for easy navigation and playback. Would like to try Audirvana, but I'm stuck in Leopard. 

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #1,455 of 3,495
Quote:
"I wished one could merge these two players. I actually prefer Fidelias itunes integration as you don't need intunes open. But i very much prefer Audirvanas playlist opposed to Fidelias library."

I agree - I actually ended up using the iPhone app instead of the playlist because it has all the usual artist, album, playlist choices.

Besides the HFX module., the iPhone app makes Fidelia an easy choice, and I use an old 3GS as a dedicated remote.

SQ with a HUD-MX1 is very satisfying, both with K701s and an old SAE Mk31b/CSW Ensemble, AAC, ALAC & FLAC.

Does it all, (pretty) cheap and easy.

Z

Users who are viewing this thread

Back