Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Aug 21, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #1,456 of 3,495
I finally freed myself from Amarra.  I always hated the interface but the sound always won out until now. I was previously using optical out directly into my DAC but while at the LA meet, found about the M2Tech Hiface 2 usb to coaxial converter.  It's plug-n-play and allows integer mode and direct play on Audirvana. It just arrived and with direct play enabled, Audirvana easily beats Amarra in every way.  Sounds clearer and more dynamic while staying musical.  

Aug 21, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #1,457 of 3,495
Quote:
I finally freed myself from Amarra.  I always hated the interface but the sound always won out until now. I was previously using optical out directly into my DAC but while at the LA meet, found about the M2Tech Hiface 2 usb to coaxial converter.  It's plug-n-play and allows integer mode and direct play on Audirvana. It just arrived and with direct play enabled, Audirvana easily beats Amarra in every way.  Sounds clearer and more dynamic while staying musical.  

What is your system made of?  I am currently using a Nuforce HDP and HD 600.  I plan on getting the Hiface next but am currently running a trial of Amarra and found the same results.  I am hoping this isn't just system synergy.

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #1,459 of 3,495
Quote:
What is your system made of?  I am currently using a Nuforce HDP and HD 600.  I plan on getting the Hiface next but am currently running a trial of Amarra and found the same results.  I am hoping this isn't just system synergy.

I have a rare setup.  Audio Technica L3000 and matching amp/dac DHA3000.

Being able to now use direct mode made a very noticeable difference in my setup. Bigger soundstage, more dynamic, no veil, and no harshness.  I heard improvements in Amarra using the Hiface 2 but Audirvana + in direct mode shows much better results.  

I have a beta of BitPerfection (offshoot of BitPerfect) that has direct mode but was giving performance problems and what I did hear wasn't as good as Audirvana +.  I haven't tried Pure Music since I don't own that program and never liked their interface. 

Make sure you get the Hiface 2 if you want to be able to use direct mode.  I'm pretty sure the first one won't activate it since you need to load separate drivers but think Audirvana is looking into getting the first model working.

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #1,461 of 3,495
For Audirvana +, need to use this beta to get direct mode.  Think it's almost ready for general release.  I use integrated mode, deactivate all the iTunes stuff, and 64 bit SRC with no upsampling. Just my preference.

http://audirvana.com/?p=304

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #1,462 of 3,495
I trialed A+ Beta in DR mode recently (Jun/Jul) before our designer went off for vacation. Amarra edged out front (slightly) in sound quality. I just dislike the interface. But I have since made some changes to my system (Aug) so I may get different results. He's gonna roll his eyes getting my third request in three months but understands...
rolleyes.gif

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #1,463 of 3,495
I just gave Pure Music a test using direct, integer mode and I also think it sounds better than Amarra.  I still prefer Audirvana + since it has just a touch more detail.  Pure Music is just a bit warmer but the two are pretty close in sound.  If I already owned Pure Music, I'd stick with that.  But I also like how Audirvana doesn't have to load the whole album up to get gapless playback.

Now Amarra has a great sound signature and I think if that can get direct mode setup it could win again but right now it sounds masked compared to the detail of Audirvana +.

Keep in mind these are only my results and people may come away with a different opinion based on their system and tastes.

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #1,464 of 3,495
This is understood, as all of our experiences could prove helpful if shared. I own PM but rarely use any longer. I do find the Direct Mode in A+ intriguing and can't wait to revisit it. But then, that's always the case in this hobby, make a change and one is left wondering. When my own evaluations become really involved,
tongue_smile.gif
 only Take-Out will do! It's often gonna be a long night...

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #1,465 of 3,495
Guys, just a quick question. I have created another partition with Leopard Snow installed because i want to try the integer mode with VOX. I own a Nuforce Icon Hdp DAC connected with usb to my mac. Is there any special option to activate integer mode in Leopard? i set up in the MIDI options: 96khz and 24 bit. In Vox i setup ''No resampling'', Synch bit rate...and what else? Is there something more to setup to have the integer mode active?

Thanks

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #1,466 of 3,495
Audio Midi setup - in the Audio settings, under Built-in Output Digital Out - I have the sample rate and a drown menu next to it that gives me the 2ch-24bit Integer option. 

(mine is under Mountain Lion though)

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #1,468 of 3,495
Quote:
Thank you, and in the player (in my case VOX) should i setup something? I see no options regarding integer mode...

I've heard of VOX and fellow ComputerAudiophile members using it. But, I believe the audio player has to have the option in its Preferences. Though, your DAC is "Integer mode" capable, the audio player needs to have the option to select it, instead of sending things up to Core Audio.

I'd contact the site offering VOX for more info.

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #1,469 of 3,495
Follow-up: Audirvana Plus w/Direct Mode

Amarra still edges out A+ in sound quality and preference for me at this time. However, A+ w/DM is still in Beta, so it still has a chance to get better.

Sep 8, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #1,470 of 3,495
does audirvana still have some issues with kernel panics? thats a complete show stopper for me, I run my ESS dac (DIY with multichannel 32bit/384khz PCM, i2s fifo and native DSD) in synchronous mode, so the dac chip/MCU has no ability to mute the output when something like this occurs, because it does not have communication or control of the clock. I also run a digital crossover for my speakers and DC coupled headphone amps and digital volume control, so the type of very nasty glitches/hash that result, could quite easily damage my headphones or tweeters, so I need reliable operation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back