Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Jan 25, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #1,171 of 3,495

Quote:
The analgy can be confusing indeed.

But as for the budget: this isn't real vinyl or turntables we're talking about, just two low priced software players that can even be tried out for free.
I can only recommend doing so.

agreed.  Just saying that some people might feel going from a cd sound to a vinyl sound as a good thing and some might see it as bad.  

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #1,172 of 3,495
so i tried audionirvana and Decibel.

Ended up buying Decibel. SUch an improvement over itunes and plays Monkey audio and FLAC to boot. Integration with APple remote is very cool as well. Only wish it had an app for android to control with and it would be perfect!

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #1,173 of 3,495
Random fidelia question...

I've noticed that while it shows my iTunes playlist to access - it doesn't show it completely. Some playlists only have a few of the items appear (which if I open up iTunes I can still clearly see and play the others). Entire albums do not appear at all. 

It's very puzzling. I have not yet figured out a pattern. Whether it was items purchased via iTunes (as opposed to files I made from CDs) that do not appear, or something else. 

Has anyone else run into that behavior?

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #1,174 of 3,495

Quote:
so i tried audionirvana and Decibel.

Ended up buying Decibel. SUch an improvement over itunes and plays Monkey audio and FLAC to boot. Integration with APple remote is very cool as well. Only wish it had an app for android to control with and it would be perfect!

I've actually considered buying Decibel, myself.  I was checking it out one day and thought it sounded pretty cool, but didn't pull the trigger.  Sounds like it's worth the money.

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #1,175 of 3,495

Quote:
Random fidelia question...

I've noticed that while it shows my iTunes playlist to access - it doesn't show it completely. Some playlists only have a few of the items appear (which if I open up iTunes I can still clearly see and play the others). Entire albums do not appear at all. 

It's very puzzling. I have not yet figured out a pattern. Whether it was items purchased via iTunes (as opposed to files I made from CDs) that do not appear, or something else. 

Has anyone else run into that behavior?

I haven't had this problem yet. I am running the beta version and it's stable.
I'd suggest fully uninstalling it and trying the beta as well? You will need to comntact them for beta keys though.
If all else fails ask support from within the app. They’re pretty responsive and a friendly bunch.

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #1,176 of 3,495
I should have specified, I am running the 1.2 beta currently. And given my fun with plugins, am probably on a first name basis with support :)

Mostly i wanted to see if this was a known issue before I contacted them. Cheers!

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #1,177 of 3,495

Quote:
I should have specified, I am running the 1.2 beta currently. And given my fun with plugins, am probably on a first name basis with support :)

Mostly i wanted to see if this was a known issue before I contacted them. Cheers!

LoL!

I guess they know me by now as well, I'm basically their primary resource for now features.
Can't seem to keep my hands of that feature request button. :wink:

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #1,178 of 3,495
Why isn't VLC player on the list?  It's a small, unobtrusive program that will play practically any file format including high rez files....listening to a 96khz/24bit as I type.

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #1,179 of 3,495
Hello Everyone. I just joined after reading a LOT of this thread!
I didn't know software like Fidelia existed until this past Monday. I downloaded it and immediately my jaw dropped. Most of my library is 320kbp/s and I'm using Grado SR 80's. I had just (kinda) finished my 8,000 track library after working on it for 3 years. Then I had to go and find this! I bought the full version yesterday. There is a lot I don't like but It sounds SO much better what could I do? 
I just submitted a req. for 'Playcount' updating and Fidelia crashed LOL! Only the 2nd time in 5 days.

I would like to see some kind of instructions as to what each setting does, dithering, etc.

Hope I didn't hi-jack the thread too much.

Thanks to the Thread starter too.

Dana

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #1,180 of 3,495

Quote:
Why isn't VLC player on the list?  It's a small, unobtrusive program that will play practically any file format including high rez files....listening to a 96khz/24bit as I type.

Hmm my guess is that first of all, it doesn't have a library feature.

It also doesn't have all the other features available that could potentially improves upon the SQ - hog mode, memory playback, izotopes filtering, etc.

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #1,182 of 3,495

Quote:
Isn't VLC known better for its video playback?

Just because it's known more for it's video doesn't mean it's not a good audio player.  To my ears, it's better than iTunes and you can play high resolution flac files.  It'll play anything you can throw at it and it's FREE.  Hog mode shmog mode, can't really hear the difference.  Can you guys believe that Pure Music is 130 bucks?!  What a rip off. 

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #1,183 of 3,495

Quote:
Just because it's known more for it's video doesn't mean it's not a good audio player.  To my ears, it's better than iTunes and you can play high resolution flac files.  It'll play anything you can throw at it and it's FREE.  Hog mode shmog mode, can't really hear the difference.  Can you guys believe that Pure Music is 130 bucks?!  What a rip off. 

We all own different equipments and hear things differently. Can't really enforce one's experience over the others by a sweeping generalisation.

Thus, the trial is an opportunity for us to try out and decide which is the best (or if we should stick to free audio playback softwares instead).

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #1,184 of 3,495

Quote:

I'm going to give the recent VLC a try next time I fire up the headphones because I just noticed it has some headphone effects in it.  It doesn't seem to have any worth while library features though.

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #1,185 of 3,495

VLC is a great video player. For many people (me included), their audio player must have an integrated database for library management, which VLC lacks. VLC isn't a credible alternative to iTunes for those people.

Just for playback, VLC is fine, except for the fact that it doesn't support gapless playback. The absence of that feature takes away from the experience of listening to some albums (e.g., Dark Side of the Moon, electronica mixes, etc.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back