Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Jan 24, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #1,156 of 3,495

Quote:
Thanks Darcy - I'll take a look at those. I thought the product page for HarmoniEQ stated it was 64, but maybe it hasn't been updated yet. I was a bit put off by GlissEq's auto adjustment feature, but I'll take a look. $50 saved is still $50. :)

WarriorAnt - thanks for the tip. For production, I've been pretty happy with our current workflow - I'm trying to get a basic playback system that lets me still borrow some of the production tools to match my monitors, without having to fire up several applications to pass through for the filters (I can, for instance, just run fidelia through audio hijack pro) - but this is an interesting tool as well. 

The auto adjust feature is what I like most about this eq.  You can it off if you want by setting "dyn" to 0.  HarmoniEQ might be 64 bit for Windows but not OSX yet.

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #1,157 of 3,495
It looks like Gliss EQ with a 0 setting would work - thanks, testing now... now I'm just on the hunt for a 64 bit crossfeed AU. The Headphones component of fidelia (in the 1.2 beta) really just doesn't do it. 

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #1,159 of 3,495
It can use your itunes library. I do not think it will let you manage existing library items, though you can create a fidelia specific library in addition. 

Jan 24, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #1,160 of 3,495

Quote:
Thanks Darcy - I'll take a look at those. I thought the product page for HarmoniEQ stated it was 64, but maybe it hasn't been updated yet. I was a bit put off by GlissEq's auto adjustment feature, but I'll take a look. $50 saved is still $50. :)

WarriorAnt - thanks for the tip. For production, I've been pretty happy with our current workflow - I'm trying to get a basic playback system that lets me still borrow some of the production tools to match my monitors, without having to fire up several applications to pass through for the filters (I can, for instance, just run fidelia through audio hijack pro) - but this is an interesting tool as well. 

Give the site a look.  It's a production tool a lot of folks turn to.  Certainly better suited for that than Fidelia. 

Jan 24, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #1,161 of 3,495
Yah, looks it. I'm not using fidelia in my production workflow. :)

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #1,163 of 3,495
I need an app that can register how many plays a track gets.

I'm in no way trying to question your need for play count. However, I'm curious about why that's a necessary feature for you (or anybody else). I've never understood the usefulness of that feature, though some people obviously have.

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #1,164 of 3,495

Quote:
I'm in no way trying to question your need for play count. However, I'm curious about why that's a necessary feature for you (or anybody else). I've never understood the usefulness of that feature, though some people obviously have.

I have some smart playlists that are set up to play songs that haven't been played in some time or are less frequently played.  It brings up songs that I may not have heard in a long time and may have forgotten about.  

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #1,165 of 3,495

Quote:

Good question!  It's probably very esoteric for everyone else but me anyway.  I load a lot of CD's and production loop tracks into iTunes, about 30 CD's per week.  I keep the tracks I like and toss the rest so I need to see if I have listened to the track yet.  Also  my library has around 10,000 tracks now and I often look through iTunes to see which tracks I have listened to the least. That helps me discover many tracks that have gotten lost in the sea of tracks which I would have otherwise not realized.  I'm always finding tracks that I have only listened to just a few times that way.  So for me it is actually one of the few features I really count upon.

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #1,166 of 3,495
That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #1,167 of 3,495
anyone have issues using Airport Express with Pure Music?  Downloaded the free trial and couldn't get it to work with streaming to my home stereo - so i uninstalled it.

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #1,168 of 3,495
Can't be done, only iTunes can use Airplay, none of these players can.
You can use the players for listening to your phones on the computer and shut them down when you want to use Airplay.

EDIT:
I just gave Decibel a try and found it not good at all. It sounds the most digital of any of the players I've heard.
I compared it to Fidelia and the difference is really obvious.
If you hear Fidelia right after Decibel it's like going from a CD to vinyl.

Jan 25, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #1,169 of 3,495

Quote:
If you hear Fidelia right after Decibel it's like going from a CD to vinyl.

This could be a confusing analogy.  People have differing opinions on what is the better medium.  

Personally I think that you can get a better sounding system with cd when working with a limited budget.  As your budget opens up vinyl can edge out cds but it can be get expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back