Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Dec 14, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #3,316 of 3,495

What if you click on Library? If you have clicked on an artist name you've switched to the Browse view that show the artist albums. If you have clicked on a search result, you're in the Search view.

cannot see library anywhere and I never use side-bar if that is what you are referring to.
Before, I'd just hit the 'x' next to album I'd searched for to clear the search bar and all albums would appear....the x/close is no longer there in the search bar.

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #3,317 of 3,495

What if you click on Library? If you have clicked on an artist name you've switched to the Browse view that show the artist albums. If you have clicked on a search result, you're in the Search view.

Come on Damien, bring back the simple search removal by adding in the 'X" next to any search term. I have to run A+ with the library tree on the left side now to get back up to all albums whereas before I could have album art covering the screen fully from left to right. Unless I'm missing something this search method is a downgrade in using the A+ GUI. It was so simple before...search for artist, play artist, click close in search bar for the search term and ALL albums instantly snap into cover view purely using the search bar functions not side tree.

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #3,318 of 3,495
As part of my Sony MDR-Z1R impressions, I compared a range of music players too. Thought the findings and opinions might be pertinent to this thread too.

----

http://www.head-fi.org/t/818846/the-official-sony-mdr-z1r-flagship-headphone-thread-live-from-ifa-2016/2925#post_13051802

----

Comparing the Music players.

A brief breakdown of what I think might be the sonic differences between the music players based on some extensive comparisons pertaining only to use with the MDR-Z1R's, using the X-DAC/O2 and Fostex HP-A4BL. I try not to use the V200 for these sorts of tests, because I do believe the V200 is ever so slightly coloured, whilst my other equipment is not.

To add to that, memory mode was used with each player, however upscaling was turned off. Realistically I don't want software approximating what I should or shouldn't be hearing, based on phantom algorithms.

Amarra - Miniscule sub(?) bass and upper mid extension. Isn't really a good fit for the Z1R's, as it make's things sound ever so slightly more congested, and vocals a minutia less realistic and more thin. When using Amarra, you can actually press a button to switch to vanilla iTunes instantaneously, and I actually prefer the sound of iTunes vanilla to Amarra mode with these headphones. With the T1's and HD800's, it's the polar opposite.

Pure Music - Sounds leaner and very slightly more detailed than the others. Not sure why. Maybe ever so slightly less bass? The bass does sound a touch more detailed or defined, and I do find it a little bit easier to separate instruments and sounds. The negative is that music can sound a tad less engaging and fun. On the plus side, vocals still remain honest sounding, if at times a micro bit more distant. Use this player for when a track sounds too dark with the Z1R's.

Audivarna Plus 2 - This is a weird one, because the Integer 1 and 2 settings actually sound marginally different. Integer 1 sounds very slightly more detailed and spacious, but at the expense of engagement, and a teency bit less honest or accurate vocal tones. I believe Integer Mode 1 has a touch less bass, and thins things out just a bit. Integer 2 sounds the most accurate and honest of the bunch, but is a slightly bit warmer. Overall this is my preferred player for the majority of stuff with these cans. I switch to Pure Music when I want that teeny bit more flatness and neutrality, but otherwise I generally stick to Integer mode 2 (or 1) with Audivarna. Ironically this player and mode is actually the closest sounding to iTunes vanilla, but unless it's placebo, I do think Integer 2 Audivarna may still be a morsel less hot up top than iTunes vanilla, and a touch more dynamic too, but I haven't done enough comparing to know for sure. 

iTunes - As above, essentially sounds the same as Audivarna Plus 2 set to Integer 2, however I do find that highs can get a tiny bit more flustered with iTunes. Not sibilant necessarily, just not quite as smooth. To re-iterate though, I haven't done enough A/B'ing with iTunes and Audivarna to state this with any sort of conviction, though I have done a lot of A/B'ing comparing iTunes with Pure Music and Amarra.

I also haven't done enough comparisons with the mobile music players yet, but unless I'm going crazy, I do again believe there can be a sonic difference, depending on how you have PowerAmp set up. I think DVC with PowerAmp adds some sub bass presence or something. In the description it mentions that this mode "improves dynamic range", whatever that means. So maybe it really is adding a very slight colorisation. Suffice to say, I turned DVC off. In-fact I've turned everything off on PowerAmp. DVC, Tone, Limit and EQ. I'll do more comparisons between vanilla PowerAmp and Samsung Music player, but with everything on PowerAmp turned off or set to vanilla, I believe they sound pretty much identical, and based on preliminary comparisons, essentially also pretty much the same as Audivarna Plus 2 set to Integer 2, and iTunes.

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #3,319 of 3,495

Come on Damien, bring back the simple search removal by adding in the 'X" next to any search term. I have to run A+ with the library tree on the left side now to get back up to all albums whereas before I could have album art covering the screen fully from left to right. Unless I'm missing something this search method is a downgrade in using the A+ GUI. It was so simple before...search for artist, play artist, click close in search bar for the search term and ALL albums instantly snap into cover view purely using the search bar functions not side tree.

If you want to revert to the old filter search method that filters only in the view you have, you can then unselect the full search option at the bottom of the Library page of the preferences.

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #3,320 of 3,495

If you want to revert to the old filter search method that filters only in the view you have, you can then unselect the full search option at the bottom of the Library page of the preferences.

Thanks Damien !
Back to the old style....love this A+ app so much.

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #3,321 of 3,495
  As part of my Sony MDR-Z1R impressions, I compared a range of music players too. Thought the findings and opinions might be pertinent to this thread too.

----

http://www.head-fi.org/t/818846/the-official-sony-mdr-z1r-flagship-headphone-thread-live-from-ifa-2016/2925#post_13051802

----

Comparing the Music players.

A brief breakdown of what I think might be the sonic differences between the music players based on some extensive comparisons pertaining only to use with the MDR-Z1R's, using the X-DAC/O2 and Fostex HP-A4BL. I try not to use the V200 for these sorts of tests, because I do believe the V200 is ever so slightly coloured, whilst my other equipment is not.

To add to that, memory mode was used with each player, however upscaling was turned off. Realistically I don't want software approximating what I should or shouldn't be hearing, based on phantom algorithms.

Amarra - Miniscule sub(?) bass and upper mid extension. Isn't really a good fit for the Z1R's, as it make's things sound ever so slightly more congested, and vocals a minutia less realistic and more thin. When using Amarra, you can actually press a button to switch to vanilla iTunes instantaneously, and I actually prefer the sound of iTunes vanilla to Amarra mode with these headphones. With the T1's and HD800's, it's the polar opposite.

Pure Music - Sounds leaner and very slightly more detailed than the others. Not sure why. Maybe ever so slightly less bass? The bass does sound a touch more detailed or defined, and I do find it a little bit easier to separate instruments and sounds. The negative is that music can sound a tad less engaging and fun. On the plus side, vocals still remain honest sounding, if at times a micro bit more distant. Use this player for when a track sounds too dark with the Z1R's.

Audivarna Plus 2 - This is a weird one, because the Integer 1 and 2 settings actually sound marginally different. Integer 1 sounds very slightly more detailed and spacious, but at the expense of engagement, and a teency bit less honest or accurate vocal tones. I believe Integer Mode 1 has a touch less bass, and thins things out just a bit. Integer 2 sounds the most accurate and honest of the bunch, but is a slightly bit warmer. Overall this is my preferred player for the majority of stuff with these cans. I switch to Pure Music when I want that teeny bit more flatness and neutrality, but otherwise I generally stick to Integer mode 2 (or 1) with Audivarna. Ironically this player and mode is actually the closest sounding to iTunes vanilla, but unless it's placebo, I do think Integer 2 Audivarna may still be a morsel less hot up top than iTunes vanilla, and a touch more dynamic too, but I haven't done enough comparing to know for sure. 

iTunes - As above, essentially sounds the same as Audivarna Plus 2 set to Integer 2, however I do find that highs can get a tiny bit more flustered with iTunes. Not sibilant necessarily, just not quite as smooth. To re-iterate though, I haven't done enough A/B'ing with iTunes and Audivarna to state this with any sort of conviction, though I have done a lot of A/B'ing comparing iTunes with Pure Music and Amarra.

I also haven't done enough comparisons with the mobile music players yet, but unless I'm going crazy, I do again believe there can be a sonic difference, depending on how you have PowerAmp set up. I think DVC with PowerAmp adds some sub bass presence or something. In the description it mentions that this mode "improves dynamic range", whatever that means. So maybe it really is adding a very slight colorisation. Suffice to say, I turned DVC off. In-fact I've turned everything off on PowerAmp. DVC, Tone, Limit and EQ. I'll do more comparisons between vanilla PowerAmp and Samsung Music player, but with everything on PowerAmp turned off or set to vanilla, I believe they sound pretty much identical, and based on preliminary comparisons, essentially also pretty much the same as Audivarna Plus 2 set to Integer 2, and iTunes.

iTunes has a veil.  It is bad.  And it does not switch sample rates.

Audirvana, the older version I tried, sounds way off.  Same with Pure Music.

JRiver sounds fantastic.  Very full bodied yet full of detail.  It switches sample rates.  I got the paid version last week after using Pono's free version.

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #3,322 of 3,495

JRiver sounds fantastic.  Very full bodied yet full of detail.  It switches sample rates.  I got the paid version last week after using Pono's free version.

​"iTunes has a veil", what! That's not my experience. I have a vast CD, vinyl and SACD collection on iTunes and I cannot discern a difference in sound from music played from iTunes to same selection played  from SACD player or turntable. The only way a computer player sounds different is when some sort of DSD is applied.

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #3,323 of 3,495
Can someone get me on track?

I've been stuck with Apple way too long and am moving some stuff back to Windows. I don't know how a few things would work in Windows these days though, it's been 15 years.

I'll be using Roon to play back music on a Windows machine as I love the way I discover music with it in my library and combined with Tidal.
But I think it's not the best library manager and I also need to connect an MP3 player and get music on that as well.
The MP3 player's sole purpose would be to connect it via USB in my car.
What I use now is an iPod classic 160GB (already too small), iTunes for managing the library and Roon for playback.

So my questions are:
- what HUGE capacity MP3 player with USB would you recommend?
- how do I get music onto it? Via USB, sure but do I need an application for that? Or can I do it straight from Windows?
- what application would be a good library manager to organise and edit metadata like iTunes used in the classic view mode? Could that application also transfer music to an MP3 player?
- is it possible to do all this via Roon? I mean managing a library (in an easy way, not album by album) and transfering to an MP3 player?

Jan 14, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #3,324 of 3,495
>​"iTunes has a veil", what! That's not my experience. I have a vast CD, vinyl and SACD collection on iTunes and I cannot discern a difference in sound from music played from iTunes to same selection played  from SACD player or turntable. The only way a computer player sounds different is when some sort of DSD is applied....

You could try JRiver. The difference between iTunes and JRiver is night and day huge. One is thin and lifeless, the other is rich and full bodied.

If you can't tell the difference between iTunes and JRiver, you need better speakers or ears.

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #3,325 of 3,495
Recently (version 22) of Jriver Media Center began using the sox render engine.
This wasn't a night and day difference but is a noticeable step up none the less.

As for the SQ differences between different players, well I prefer Media Center despite its collection of idiosyncrasies, which all players have.
And now with the sox render engine the SQ is just that much better.

JJ

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #3,326 of 3,495

You should try a newer version. A+ 2.6 sounds really good, IMO.

By the way, I agree with you on iTunes. There is something off when playback through native iTunes.

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #3,327 of 3,495
Side question: I remember a few years ago having a discussion that on the newer Macbook Pro Retinas (at that time), the USB port on the right side was the better choice for audio.

I was wondering if anyone knows which USB port is the best choice for a Late 2009 iMac. I remember there being a way to check this as well based on the number of connections? Any suggestions? Running 10.6.8. Thanks!

Jan 14, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #3,328 of 3,495
  Can someone get me on track?

I've been stuck with Apple way too long and am moving some stuff back to Windows. I don't know how a few things would work in Windows these days though, it's been 15 years.

I'll be using Roon to play back music on a Windows machine as I love the way I discover music with it in my library and combined with Tidal.
But I think it's not the best library manager and I also need to connect an MP3 player and get music on that as well.
The MP3 player's sole purpose would be to connect it via USB in my car.
What I use now is an iPod classic 160GB (already too small), iTunes for managing the library and Roon for playback.

So my questions are:
- what HUGE capacity MP3 player with USB would you recommend?
- how do I get music onto it? Via USB, sure but do I need an application for that? Or can I do it straight from Windows?
- what application would be a good library manager to organise and edit metadata like iTunes used in the classic view mode? Could that application also transfer music to an MP3 player?
- is it possible to do all this via Roon? I mean managing a library (in an easy way, not album by album) and transfering to an MP3 player?

No tips from the people who use a Windows PC?
JRiver maybe? Or are there other options I should consider for what I want to do?
Does JRiver, being a media center, play Bluray and DVD ISO rips as well?

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #3,329 of 3,495
  Side question: I remember a few years ago having a discussion that on the newer Macbook Pro Retinas (at that time), the USB port on the right side was the better choice for audio.

I was wondering if anyone knows which USB port is the best choice for a Late 2009 iMac. I remember there being a way to check this as well based on the number of connections? Any suggestions? Running 10.6.8. Thanks!

Yes, it is. Look at the System Report and the USB Device Tree. You want the USB port that is not being shared with anything that is active (as best as you are able).

I've personally experienced a big difference in drop-outs using the right port (as in: none), whereas I've had intermittent chirps/clicks using the left port.

As always, YMMV.

Jan 14, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #3,330 of 3,495

Yes, it is. Look at the System Report and the USB Device Tree. You want the USB port that is not being shared with anything that is active (as best as you are able).

I've personally experienced a big difference in drop-outs using the right port (as in: none), whereas I've had intermittent chirps/clicks using the left port.

As always, YMMV.

Which one would be the recommended port from the following?

EDIT: Now manually reading the specs on each port and the differences are quite big.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back