M50s overrated?
Sep 15, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #886 of 991
Maybe I don't remember how M50 sounded before. I haven't heard a stock M50 for over three month. I wouldn't call it placebo though. 1. the hps aren't even mine. 2. I could tell that the cable they used wasn't high quality. and was expected worse sound quality.

I'm not a big cable believer btw. I'm actually against buying any cables that cost +$100.

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #887 of 991
I honestly do not think the M50s sound bad at all. A little too bass heavy for studio use. But if you like  a mid bass boost in your music go ahead with it. For studio I prefer MDR 7506s, 440s, 840 or HD 280s. I actually prefer these studio cans for my music in general.

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #888 of 991
  Has anyone rewired M50? I'm listening to a rewired one, and it sounds surprisingly good. The mids aren't recessed anymore. The bass is a bit loose though, as with the stock M50.

If the recable opens up the midrange a pinch and increases microdetail as well, it can give the impression of "less recessed" mids.  Happens to HD600, too.
I assume that velour pads would be best for bringing out M50's midrange.  It's all about letting the drivers "breathe" more, but that may exacerbate the treble spike a bit more and tame the bass to some extent.

Sep 18, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #889 of 991
gs1000.gif
gs1000.gif

Oct 2, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #890 of 991
They may not be that great but for $150 I still love mine to deaf. I have many other pairs of headphones but the M50s still receive the most head time. They are also reliable as all living heck. Used them in the rain, wind, hot, cold, and just throw them around like nothing. Fantastic piece of kit. 

Nov 29, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #891 of 991
absolutely 100% overrated. I don't get the love for these cans at  all. Instruments come across as extremely crowded and they are lacking in channel separation.  The bass is sloppy and feels to be tuned for effect vs. reproduction. These might blow people away whom are upgrading from Beats or some other low end brand but they are hardly are worth of the praise that you see all over the web.  
For reference I am listening to FLAC through musicbee with a Bifrost DAC and Magni amp.

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #892 of 991
  absolutely 100% overrated. I don't get the love for these cans at  all. Instruments come across as extremely crowded and they are lacking in channel separation.  The bass is sloppy and feels to be tuned for effect vs. reproduction. These might blow people away whom are upgrading from Beats or some other low end brand but they are hardly are worth of the praise that you see all over the web.  
For reference I am listening to FLAC through musicbee with a Bifrost DAC and Magni amp.

Ha ha. Agree with ya.

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #893 of 991

Ha ha. Agree with ya.

100% agree. Use a great FLAC source and a clean amp, they (literally) fart all over your music with their lack of coherence and control and the hissy, strident treble isn't doing them any favors.

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #895 of 991
It's not that the M50s are bad cans. They're just overhyped and overrated. They'll never reach to the level of beats, but they're just not amazing when you can get better headphones for the same price/not much more/cheaper.

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #896 of 991
They're well-made and reasonably comfortable. The sound is good but not very good, like a lot of others. "Good" is a compliment.

Maybe they sell as well as they do because of their price. I suspect that SRH840 and others would sell as well at that price.

It's unhelpful that they're over-recommended, as it is when anything is over-recommended (MrSpeakers, maybe HE400).

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #898 of 991
I really like mine, excellent value at the $118 I paid for them. There may now be more options out there, doesn't mean they suddenly start sounding bad.

I agree, they are not bad headphones, there are just better options out there.

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #900 of 991
TBH, there aren't that many options better than M50 at its price range. The reason why I complained about over hype was that M50 was being compared to hps that costed $200. For under $120-130, they are indeed one of the best performers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back