M50s overrated?
Sep 8, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #647 of 991
I don't think the M50 is overrated at all. I do have to admit that I returned my first pair because one side stopped working, but I've been very impressed. I have yet to listen to a pair of AKG or Grado cans, but maybe that's a good thing. I don't need to spend anymore money.

Sep 8, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #648 of 991
I'm an ex M50 owner and I think they are sort of overrated. As far as I remember them, they are jack-of-all-trades, with a small extra dose of bass. They are very flexible with many genres of music but that's basically it. If you have a favorite genre, chances are they might not make it sound optimal. I mainly listen to rock and they were kinda lifeless. However they are good entrance closed cans and, luckily, the hype around them has subdued. They are just good, not godly.

Sep 8, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #649 of 991
I'm not sure why people care so much, or why I care that people care so much, either...
blink.gif

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #650 of 991
Okay, Amazon has them for $118.50, are these the best phones I can get for that price range? I mostly listen to Hip-Hop. I currently have JVC HA-RX 700s, will these be a good noticeable upgrade? These will be for my PC which currently has a Xonar DX sound card. The Xonar DX should drive them just fine, right?

Sep 9, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #651 of 991
Quote:
Open backs almost always have better sound stage. Hard to compare really.

That's just the question I was going to ask regarding the Pioneer's...
I would think ALL closed backs will suffer a greater degree of comb filtering(?) due to the soundwaves being trapped and bouncing around until they dissapate thus creating a "muddy" sound?
I would also imagine the larger velour ear pads found on more expensive closed back offerings would absorb some of the mid and high freq waves and provide a "cleaner": sound?

Sep 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #652 of 991
Quote:
I don't think the M50 is overrated at all. I do have to admit that I returned my first pair because one side stopped working, but I've been very impressed. I have yet to listen to a pair of AKG or Grado cans, but maybe that's a good thing. I don't need to spend anymore money.

Try a set of Grado SR 60 or 80i and you will be amazed!  They are relatively cheap and fun to listen to

Sep 9, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #653 of 991

That's just the question I was going to ask regarding the Pioneer's...
I would think ALL closed backs will suffer a greater degree of comb filtering(?) due to the soundwaves being trapped and bouncing around until they dissapate thus creating a "muddy" sound?
I would also imagine the larger velour ear pads found on more expensive closed back offerings would absorb some of the mid and high freq waves and provide a "cleaner": sound?

Once again. I converted them to closed back.

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #654 of 991
Quote:
. I currently have JVC HA-RX 700s, will these be a good noticeable upgrade?

Definite upgrade over the HARX 700 (and I like the 700, it is a great HP for the $)
Can't opine about your sound card.

Sep 10, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #657 of 991
One thing that has impressed me about all the reviews and high praise for the M50, is that they overwhelmingly get recommended right here by our head-fi community!  Of course they also get great reviews and endorsements from well known/respected "reviewers" but to me it is very impressive that so many head-fiers say such great things about these cans.    To me this is the best endorsement you can get!

Whenever I take time to read or watch a review online, I always look to see if the person doing the review is in any way tied to an advertising revenue opportunity, is in a position to get free stuff from a manufacturer, or benefit some way from staying in the good graces of a certain manufacturer.   One case in point, and it is totally IMO, is V-Moda.   I read a lot of hyped-up reviews from a lot of "professionals" regarding the M-80, which by the way are great cans.  But they are heavy in the bass, and after actually listening to them for a few weeks now, I have honestly wondered why they were so heavily hyped, especially by so-called pros.  When I reflected back, most of the great reviews that swayed my decision were done by people who were in a position to sell advertising space or have a benefit from being cozy with such a cool, highly respected manufacturer.   

Again, not saying that the V-Moda's were a bad decision, I just relied on outside reviews more than I did the head-fi community and I regret not buying the M50's.

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #658 of 991
Yeah, it is hard to find an objective review from a magazine or larger blog. Many times they are fed free equipment to review and that will stop when the companies realize they are being objective and not complimentary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back