M50s overrated?
Sep 27, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #676 of 991
Quote:
oooo the K240's damn those are sharp...I love gold on black alot.

They sound better than the M50 too.

More PRaT (faster attack and decay), it gives an effortlessness to the sound that is soothing and delightful. Overall detail level is slightly higher than the M50. The K240s are very warm, the bass is nice and textured, the mids are good, and the highs are amazingly smooth and crisp. 

Only problem is the K240s are semi-open, so isolation isn't the best. They sound good out of an iPod, but they need an amp to perform at their best, plus the 10 foot cable that AKG includes is a huge pain in the ass.

These are the K240 Studio I'm talking about, here. Haven't had the pleasure to try any older models yet, unfortunately.

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #678 of 991
I would like to add something to this topic.

The M50's mids are absolutely atrocious. Amping my M50s brought the recessed mids out of the dark and showed me what they were like. They're ridiculously boomy and rough, and I constantly hear intense distortion on them. It sounds disgusting. I can honestly say they have the worst mids of any headphone I have. Recessed mids I don't mind, but the M50's mids are absolutely atrocious. Seriously AT?

This has proven to me that the M50 really is severely overrated. I can't even use my M50s anymore. They sound like total and utter ****. I can't even stand to listen to them anymore. 

Oh, sweet. 500th post.

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #679 of 991
then send me your m50 is you dont like it :wink:

basically you dont like the sound sig of the m50 and you just reworded it with harsher words :p

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #680 of 991
Quote:
then send me your m50 is you dont like it :wink:

basically you dont like the sound sig of the m50 and you just reworded it with harsher words :p

I like the sound signature. I don't like the ****ed up mids.

Like i said, recessed mids I don't mind. It gives the bass and treble more room to shine. 

****ty mids aren't okay. 

And no, my M50s were a gift and I plan on modding my pair anyways.

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #683 of 991
Most like them well enough. Try a different model perhaps? ATH-A900X? 

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #684 of 991
Quote:
Or perhaps AT should make them better.

They would if they only read your hyperbole-filled review. Unfortunately, they've sold thousands of these and most people like them quite a bit, so I'm guessing they're going to make more of them - a lot more. Somebody will buy them if you post them at a reasonable price. 

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #685 of 991
Honestly i bought that headsets for 111U$S for that price is nice,  but i dont like listen with it kind metal except industrial metal, it is so noisy example for power metal, or progressive metal like dream theater, but it is nice Electronic music as most people say, punk rock, electronic rock like Pendulum etc ...
I cant say that headphones are overrated but yes is overhyped, it is not overrated cuz it have a really good details of sound, but it is overhyped cuz have very very narrow sound.

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #686 of 991
Quote:
Honestly i bought that headsets for 111U$S for that price is nice,  but i dont like listen with it kind metal except industrial metal, it is so noisy example for power metal, or progressive metal like dream theater, but it is nice Electronic music as most people say, punk rock, electronic rock like Pendulum etc ...
I cant say that headphones are overrated but yes is overhyped, it is not overrated cuz it have a really good details of sound, but it is overhyped cuz have very very narrow sound.

I find this conversation amazing.  Would you explain having a narrow sound?  Humans have an auditory range (what they can hear) from approximately 15 Hz to 20 kHz?  You state that the headphones are noisy with power metal?  My hypothesis would be that what you describe as noisy is actually detail and you are listening to music that is distorted but that doesn't sound very good on accurate and detailed headphones.  I have listened to metal very little.  I mainly listen to jazz and classical and some country/rock/popular. I found as I moved from a $2,000 stereo system to a $5,000 system to a $30,000 system (I didn't pay nearly that much for the 30k system since I bought the preamp and power amp used from a friend) that rock I had liked (e.g. the Stones) was really bad sounding music.  Even remastered, a lot of the old rock was done by poor musicians and the recordings are not very good.  In contrast, the jazz (especially Blue Note) recorded even in the 50's is brilliant. 

I am not arguing that the M50's are great although I like them pretty well. My favorite phones are probably my modified
Denon AH-D2000​
with Lawton cups and sheepskin pads.  I also like my AKG-271, my HD650, my DT-880's, my DT-990's etc. I am leaving out 3 or 4 other sets of cans that I also like. I would even like my AKG-701's if they didn't hurt my head.  The M50's get good (excellent for the price) reviews on the Headphone Review site which I think is a good source of information (the reviewers are screened). The M50's also have a good rating on Amazon with over 650 reviews which indicates that the average user likes them pretty well.

One of my other hobbies is shooting.  With guns there are objective measurements.  Will a rifle shoot to 1 or 2 MOA at hundred meters or what is he velocity of round at a 1000 meters (actually it is usually the energy and not just  the velocity that is debated).  I used to ride sports bikes and they had objective measures for things like speed in the quarter mile and braking distance etc.  Although even there I saw people argue that a 600 cc bike could not possibly have a top speed of 162 mph because their 10-year old 1000 cc bike would only do 145 mph.  Obviously those individuals didn't realize that the (then) modern 600 cc bike produced 100 hp at the rear wheel and had a wet weight of 400 pounds while their old liter bike produced 85 hp and weighed 650 dry.  Of course now the 600 cc bikes are producing 120 hp!  Progress!

My point is that all of our reviews of headphones are subjective.  My hearing compared to some of my audiophile friends is not great. I like warm phones with lots of detail.  I like precise solid state amps or tubes depending on my music and my mood.  Probably most of the phones over $100 produced by Denon, AT, Senn, Beyerdynamics, AKG, etc.reproduce music more accurately than most of us can appreciate.  We may like one set better than the others but that may be because of our hearing or it is just what we like.  Some people prefer phones (and speakers) that have a different balance (or that are even distorted). 

Are the M-50's better than the AKG-240's, I don't know. The HD-280's might be a better buy.  I think the HD-280's are a great buy but I don' use mine much because they are tight on my ears.

Anyway, I think for someone who wants to start listening to  earphones and who doesn't have a ton of money, the M50's are a decent buy.  One of my friends told me the other day that he had just purchased a new power filter (for the AC current) for his stereo system.  The filter cost $2000 and his system probably cost him 50K.  He claimed that now the resolution was so much better.  He does have great ears but I don't think adding a $2k filter to my system would make a bit of difference in what I hear.  This stuff with earphones is not science, it is just opinion.

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #687 of 991
when i told narrow sound is when the headset emits the sound close to one line as a studio record, what they r doing is recording each instrument of a band part by part and mix in a perfect timing, when i told details i mean can i listen time by time every instrument that have. Cuz when i listen my ad700 as told me brooko i can sense the space.

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #688 of 991
heres my take.

i bought these M50 a few months ago for $125.00.  after all the talking and reviews everywhere they where the "Must have some day, hope that day is sooner than later"  kind of headphone.

So, they come in, burned them for 3 days, not even used them in the meanwhile cause i was having fun with my new Fxd80 iem`s.  After 3 days of burn in started to listen to them  and i was, "wow.. nice, i am liking it, the mids are more recesed that i was expecting but, overall.. very nice, i like the highs and details". used them almost 2 weeks and was liking the sound of them, but then,  i recieved a package from Hong kong,  a $55 + $25.00 forshipping JVC headphone that spoiled the fun from these M50.

The thing is ,  i would choose and use the JVC S500 ANYDAY over the M50, why?  mids are not so much reccesed, even if its v-shapped, there is more resolution and overall they sound better, not by a big amount, its not a beat down, but enough to sell the M50's..  The thing two things that i liked on the M50 over the S500 was  comfort, problem of the S500 is that they are over ears, but i would gladly sacrifice comfort.

just let me be clear here, i am not saying that the S500 is better,  for me.. for my ears and IMHO if i had to choose between both, i would grab the S500 anyday, also they are cheaper. i am not saying "dont buy the M50, get a S500", but theres has to be two things happening here:

1. The M50 is WAY overhyped, to the point that once you got them you wont need anything else, cause they are better than almost anything out there (my impression after reading and viewing so many reviews of these things)

or

2. The S500 is a very good competition, even for the price.

In any case, they are a very good buy, but not the "end of all, best bang for the buck ever" kind of Headphone, IMHO there is newer and better competition that are even cheaper.
This also doesnt mean that i would recommend the S500 to all of those looking for a HP.

My next "need to have cause all the good and so many reviews headphones on head-fi" is the Sennheiser HD-25, i am under the impression that i wont sell them.

Also, there is the Tf10,  those things with so many reviews and talking are on my radar.

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #689 of 991
Quote:

I find this conversation amazing.  Would you explain having a narrow sound?  Humans have an auditory range (what they can hear) from approximately 15 Hz to 20 kHz?  You state that the headphones are noisy with power metal?  My hypothesis would be that what you describe as noisy is actually detail and you are listening to music that is distorted but that doesn't sound very good on accurate and detailed headphones.  I have listened to metal very little.  I mainly listen to jazz and classical and some country/rock/popular. I found as I moved from a $2,000 stereo system to a $5,000 system to a $30,000 system (I didn't pay nearly that much for the 30k system since I bought the preamp and power amp used from a friend) that rock I had liked (e.g. the Stones) was really bad sounding music.  Even remastered, a lot of the old rock was done by poor musicians and the recordings are not very good.  In contrast, the jazz (especially Blue Note) recorded even in the 50's is brilliant. 

I am not arguing that the M50's are great although I like them pretty well. My favorite phones are probably my modified
Denon AH-D2000​
with Lawton cups and sheepskin pads.  I also like my AKG-271, my HD650, my DT-880's, my DT-990's etc. I am leaving out 3 or 4 other sets of cans that I also like. I would even like my AKG-701's if they didn't hurt my head.  The M50's get good (excellent for the price) reviews on the Headphone Review site which I think is a good source of information (the reviewers are screened). The M50's also have a good rating on Amazon with over 650 reviews which indicates that the average user likes them pretty well.

One of my other hobbies is shooting.  With guns there are objective measurements.  Will a rifle shoot to 1 or 2 MOA at hundred meters or what is he velocity of round at a 1000 meters (actually it is usually the energy and not just  the velocity that is debated).  I used to ride sports bikes and they had objective measures for things like speed in the quarter mile and braking distance etc.  Although even there I saw people argue that a 600 cc bike could not possibly have a top speed of 162 mph because their 10-year old 1000 cc bike would only do 145 mph.  Obviously those individuals didn't realize that the (then) modern 600 cc bike produced 100 hp at the rear wheel and had a wet weight of 400 pounds while their old liter bike produced 85 hp and weighed 650 dry.  Of course now the 600 cc bikes are producing 120 hp!  Progress!

My point is that all of our reviews of headphones are subjective.  My hearing compared to some of my audiophile friends is not great. I like warm phones with lots of detail.  I like precise solid state amps or tubes depending on my music and my mood.  Probably most of the phones over $100 produced by Denon, AT, Senn, Beyerdynamics, AKG, etc.reproduce music more accurately than most of us can appreciate.  We may like one set better than the others but that may be because of our hearing or it is just what we like.  Some people prefer phones (and speakers) that have a different balance (or that are even distorted). 

Are the M-50's better than the AKG-240's, I don't know. The HD-280's might be a better buy.  I think the HD-280's are a great buy but I don' use mine much because they are tight on my ears.

Anyway, I think for someone who wants to start listening to  earphones and who doesn't have a ton of money, the M50's are a decent buy.  One of my friends told me the other day that he had just purchased a new power filter (for the AC current) for his stereo system.  The filter cost $2000 and his system probably cost him 50K.  He claimed that now the resolution was so much better.  He does have great ears but I don't think adding a $2k filter to my system would make a bit of difference in what I hear.  This stuff with earphones is not science, it is just opinion.

i like the M50 over the hd-280, those things are so flat and boring its not even funny,  the clamp force on the 280 makes the a pain to use over an hour.  in any case, it will depend what are your tastes and kind of music you hear, for me the 280 are a working/tool heaphone for monotoring, not a fun Hp at all.... boring, lifeless for my kind of music and use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back