M50s overrated?
Aug 24, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #601 of 991
I picked up a pair myself a couple weeks back, and I've been quite enjoying them. The clamp is slightly annoying when wearing for long periods of time, but I've found I've gotten used to it. 

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #602 of 991
Quote:
I thought they were alright but tbh compared to any other headphones I have tried in that price range such as Q40, SRH840, DT770 etc. they are nothing special.... Apparently the CAL! even sound better and they cost £50. They were *alright* but really not anything special IMO. I think if they were priced at £100 or less then they would be something special for the money but at £140 not that great tbh.

They are under 100 pounds on Amazon pretty much all the time as far as I know.

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #606 of 991
One thing I have to say, after a long time of listening to other headphones, and then going back to the M50s, that everything negative about them is true. The treble is really hyped-up and is quite sibilant at times, the mids are very recessed, etc.

However, they are still very powerful, detail is great, and though there's not much soundstage they are still a great starter headphone. I still stick by the statement that they are the best headphone in the price range.

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #607 of 991
Quote:
One thing I have to say, after a long time of listening to other headphones, and then going back to the M50s, that everything negative about them is true. The treble is really hyped-up and is quite sibilant at times, the mids are very recessed, etc.

However, they are still very powerful, detail is great, and though there's not much soundstage they are still a great starter headphone. I still stick by the statement that they are the best headphone in the price range.

They are good until you hear something better

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #608 of 991
Quote:

They are good until you hear something better.

This. I agree with this statement.

Then again, that's true of most headphones.

Aug 25, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #609 of 991
There will always be something better since the companies producing all those headphones keep on researching & making better ones.. but the thing is that we can't decide whether or not something is overrated since there are a lot of factors involved in it i.e. price, personal taste of music, etc. That's just my opinion though..

Aug 25, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #610 of 991
Quote:

Nope in the UK the cheapest price new is £135 (they are £133.95 on Amazon)

Yikes! That's steep! I know they've gone down to just over $100 USD on Amazon before, but didn't realize that there's such a premium if bought in the U.K. It makes little sense to me with the value of the GBP...perhaps there's a massive import tax on electronic goods as there is here in Vietnam.

Aug 25, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #611 of 991
Quote:
Yikes! That's steep! I know they've gone down to just over $100 USD on Amazon before, but didn't realize that there's such a premium if bought in the U.K. It makes little sense to me with the value of the GBP...perhaps there's a massive import tax on electronic goods as there is here in Vietnam.

m50 is in malaysia for RM700 and direct currency conversion from RM to USD is only ~3+ so it means that it should cost only RM500 but instead its 700... the shopkeeper told me its the tax

Aug 25, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #612 of 991
Quote:

Yes considering the UK pound is supposed to be so strong.... ($0.63 = £1   0.79euro = £1) things are very expensive here due to VAT and customs charges etc.

Aug 25, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #614 of 991
Quote:
I own the HD598, K701, SR325i. The M50s still sound good to me!

Hmmm I am suprised because after you hear something with textured bass, open soundstage, non recessed midrange, non sibilant spitty vocals, non boxed in sound then the M50 sound a bit mediocre.... They do have a decent sound and a good FR out of the box and they are also quite exciting to listen to but they are not very refined at all compared to better headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back