M50s overrated?
Aug 21, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #586 of 991
Quote:
I purchased some of these today to try and come to my own conclusion of whether they are good or not....

My initial impressions are :

Bass - Quantity is very good although it is a bit monotone with not a huge amount of texture or detail, not terrible but not amazing.

Mids - These are quite recessed and nowhere near as good as my HD650

Treble - Quite good and pretty realistic decay etc. Just a bit metallic sounding and sharp and not as detailed as the HD650.

Overall I would say they are pretty good but once again I find my self going back to the HD650... Although the HD650 are a tad boring and lack sub bass the sound quality is just so much better. The only closed phones which have been comparable were the Denons although they hurt my ears... It seems that open headphones just sound plain better than closed ones for everything except bass depth and impact.

I find what you say about bass to be odd, as I have an open-backed vintage can with a RIDICULOUS amount of bass impact and sub-bass response. Many times more than any closed can I have, including the M50s.

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #588 of 991
The Audatron SH-608R. Open-back with 55mm drivers. Supra-aural.

Anyways we're getting off-track here. The M50 is not overrated. 

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #590 of 991
I had the M50s for a couple of weeks before I returned them to Amazon. 
The phones didn't do anything right for me. I found the bass too overwhelming, soundstage rather narrow and there was SIBILANCE!!
My modded Fostex T50RPs were way ahead of these.

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #591 of 991
Quote:
The phones didn't do anything right for me. I found the bass too overwhelming, soundstage rather narrow and there was SIBILANCE!!

agree strongly on the sibilance part

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #592 of 991
Quote:

Which mods did you do and what changed? Those seem to be the Honda Civic of headphones (as in people buy them just to mod the heck out of them).

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #593 of 991
Almost everything(exceptions being beats and Bose) is overrated here in my honest opinion. Don't feel bad about the recommendation though, they most likely would've bought something worse if it wasn't for your suggestion.

Aug 22, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #597 of 991
Quote:
Almost everything(exceptions being beats and Bose) is overrated here in my honest opinion. Don't feel bad about the recommendation though, they most likely would've bought something worse if it wasn't for your suggestion.

some things sound better to some people so to those whos preferences differ i believe that they would consider the recomended product as overrated, especially if one's opinion or taste differs from most of the users here

Aug 22, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #598 of 991
Quote:
Which mods did you do and what changed? Those seem to be the Honda Civic of headphones (as in people buy them just to mod the heck out of them).

Switching over to Orthos was a welcome change to my dynamic world of headphones.
The Fostex provides a DARK background. Very smooth high end. The only issue I found in the stock Fostex was a bit light bass. 
A few mods I did, was loading of baffles with blue tack, damping the earcups with felt and partially closing the bass port with paper tape from outside. These mods really improved the sound as from the stock version.
A few other mods related to comfort/isolation were Shure 840 pads, head pads from Sennheiser HD595 and cable from V-Moda.

Unfortunately/Fortunately, I sold the Fostex to buy HiFiMan HE-400s. They are still to be delivered and I am waiting eagerly 
gs1000.gif

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #599 of 991
I'm a newbie here but this is my opinion regarding this matter. There is no use in saying something as overrated/not. And why do I say that?
1. People's preference (taste) of music/sound is different. This plays a big role on whether or not they like a signature sound of a Headphone. Some say Grado SR60 is way better than m50. Well, okay, according to who?
2. We won't know for sure the quality of a thing before we try it by ourselves. So, if ur friends want to buy a not-so-expensive-but-good headphones, why not ask them to try it by themselves? Give them options i.e. V-Jays, M50s, SR 60, etc. If they like (just in case) the sound signature of V Jays, so be it. If they like M50s, so be it.
3. IMO the principal of an Amp & source is happening here, "Garbage in, Garbage out". If these m50s' aren't good at all, they won't be so popular. Okay, u might say it can be so because people are exaggerating them. But remember the principal?if these cans don't have something to be proud of, no one will praise it.

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #600 of 991
I thought they were alright but tbh compared to any other headphones I have tried in that price range such as Q40, SRH840, DT770 etc. they are nothing special.... Apparently the CAL! even sound better and they cost £50. They were *alright* but really not anything special IMO. I think if they were priced at £100 or less then they would be something special for the money but at £140 not that great tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back