M50s overrated?
Jul 10, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #421 of 991
As stated above, I won't bother reading all the pages before this, but I don't think it's overrated. For it's $150 pricetag, it can work wonders that is only improved by amplification. When I first heard my friend's m50s, I was like "oh, ok. Sounds nice". A few months after, when I bought my iBasso D6, I was thoroughly impressed at how good they could sound. and I even, though only for a short moment till I put my own headphones back on, considered buying one for myself.

still, not bad for something so relatively cheap can do.

Jul 10, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #422 of 991
Quote:

No, but I see/hear some of the worst headphones in the world selling for $1k+

Of course the M50 isn't going to come near the top end of the spectrum for sound quality, but that isn't the question in the thread.  The question is if the M50s are overrated?  And it's fine if you don't like them - but don't write them off for people new to the hobby looking for a pretty decently priced headphone that handles monitoring activities and listening to popular music quite well.  They can take a beating, they fold up nicely for travel, they isolate quite well, they turn flat to wear around the neck, they don't look half bad and they get pretty damned good reviews from professionals.  Oh, and they don't have hugely accentuated treble, which can cause fatigue and hearing loss - especially for the younger generation who listen straight out of ipods without realising you can control the volume down from "jet-engine-loud".

Pretty good deal, if you ask me.  Just because you don't like their particular sound doesn't mean they're overrated, it just means you don't like them.

You can get the DT250 for around the same price as the M50 where the DT250 would smash the M50 in sound quality. So YES they are OVERATED. The only reason people would buy the M50 over DT250 is looks. The DT250 does look a bit retro old school and the M50 looks like a DJ headphone.

So yes my opinion still stands as the M50 are overated and i DON'T LIKE THEM. If you don't like my opinion then go cry about it somewhere else.

Jul 10, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #423 of 991
Quote:

You can get the DT250 for around the same price as the M50 where the DT250 would smash the M50 in sound quality. So YES they are OVERATED. The only reason people would buy the M50 over DT250 is looks. The DT250 does look a bit retro old school and the M50 looks like a DJ headphone.

So yes my opinion still stands as the M50 are overated and i DON'T LIKE THEM. If you don't like my opinion then go cry about it somewhere else.

yep agree. I loved my m50s when i first got them, but when I tried headphones in the same price range, the M50s were one of the worst. You are right that they are overrated, and overpriced. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #424 of 991
Quote:
yep agree. I loved my m50s when i first got them, but when I tried headphones in the same price range, the M50s were one of the worst. You are right that they are overrated, and overpriced. 
biggrin.gif

One of the worst?  Are you kidding?  Of all the completely horrible headphones out there, it is just really pathetic that head-fi has decided to gang up on one of the ones that actually is pretty decent.  How are they one of the worst when they have faster, smoother decay than the D7000 and T1 just to name a couple?  It's fine if you don't like them personally, but they simply are not overrated given this smooth, fairly even response compared to much more expensive headphones.  If you want to pick on a headphone, pick on one that deserves it.  And for a reason that is actually true. 

Since people seem to want to just crap their opinions here and aren't willing to read even the last 2 pages, I'll just quote myself.  Please explain how the M50 is overrated given these graphs. 

Quote:
M50

D7000

Quote:
Your Brain

Jul 10, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #425 of 991
The graphs don't explain to me why the M50 has a very weird timbre treble.  You know it's bad when it already sounds bad against the D2000's treble, which is very metallic in its own right.  They don't really explain to me why its sound is so congested and soundstage lacking, either.

Jul 10, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #426 of 991
Why does this thread have to descend into CSD graphs?

How about we compare the M50 to the Koss Pro DJ100 then?

The M50 sounds like it has a more expensive driver inside of it than the price indicates, the fact they didn't install fibreglass into the cup to reduce resonance and the D7000 has intentional resonance seems void to me.

Unless you are super sensitive to resonance and your only aim with headphones is to get rid of it, then why are we even discussing closed-back.

Jul 10, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #427 of 991
Quote:
I'm not going to bother reading the past 28 pages of post but i will give you my opinion on this topic.

Personally the M50 are complete crap. Muddy bass, lacking mids, average detail and no highs. Why would you ask this, simple - once you have tried high end headphones you can't go back listening to low/mid end headphones.

Yes some people will say the M50 is the best since it's the best headphone they have tried/listened to. Others will go it's complete crap as they have RS1i/GS/PS1000/HD600/650/800/DT770/880/990/T1/LCD2/3 etc.

Simply not true in my case,  I have many supposedly higher end headphones and the m50s compete with them nicely.   I just dont understand all the comments about muddy bass, recessed mids, and so on. Evidently I must have a special pair because I do not hear these complaints. They do alot of things right and I enjoy them very much. 

PS
Just because a headphone is more expensive  doesnt mean its better 

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #428 of 991
Quote:

How about we compare the M50 to the Koss Pro DJ100 then?

I've got CSD of the DJ100s too :) Just ran the plot a last night.

To be honest, I don't think the M50s are over-rated. They are pretty good to decent. It's possible some rabid-fan boys were comparing them to STAX or whatever. We can do a lot worse for $120 - or $300 - or even $1000.

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #429 of 991
Quote:
biggrin.gif

I don't think ATH-M50 is the worst headphone, neither overrated nor overpriced! In fact it is one of the best headphones with great price & great sound.
Are you sure your ATH-M50 is in good condition? Did you get a genuine ATH-M50 because there are many counterfeit ATH-M50 are being sold on ebay.
confused_face.gif

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #430 of 991
yep agree. I loved my m50s when i first got them, but when I tried headphones in the same price range, the M50s were one of the worst. You are right that they are overrated, and overpriced. :D

Opinions, opinions... Everybody has at least one!

Jul 11, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #431 of 991
Quote:

Yea, you could buy the DT250, except some of us actually like bass response in our music....  Like when you're listening to popular music...... Like I said before when I mentioned that the M50s pull their weight for modern, popular music........

graphCompare.php

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #432 of 991
Quote:
I'm not going to bother reading the past 28 pages of post but i will give you my opinion on this topic.

Personally the M50 are complete crap. Muddy bass, lacking mids, average detail and no highs. Why would you ask this, simple - once you have tried high end headphones you can't go back listening to low/mid end headphones.

Yes some people will say the M50 is the best since it's the best headphone they have tried/listened to. Others will go it's complete crap as they have RS1i/GS/PS1000/HD600/650/800/DT770/880/990/T1/LCD2/3 etc.

bigsmile_face.gif
popcorn.gif

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #433 of 991
Quote:

beerchug.gif

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #434 of 991
Quote:

Because they show that the M50 does certain things better than many headphones that cost more.  So even if you don't personally like the M50's sound signature, you ought to be able to have respect for it's comparatively clean decay.  That's the problem with these threads, people are so stuck in their preferences and arent' able to recognize anything beyond black and white good/bad I like/dislike.  I don't like the HD800, can't really stand listening to them, but I recognize their technical brilliance in their fast clean response.  Because things aren't black and white. 

If the M50 had shiny wooden cups and cost 3x, and weren't as popular, a lot of the people in this thread would be fawning over them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back