M50s overrated?
Jul 8, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #406 of 991
I don't think we should rely on spectral decay graphs so much. I mean EtyKids 5 have a faster decay than HD800 and HE500 overall, but that sure doesn't mean they are better sounding, does it. Or maybe they are better in a way?

Subjectively, I found M50 too bloated in the bass, too glossed over/lacking detail in the mids and with a very apparent "metallic" coloration to the highs. Moreover, they often sounded "cupped in" to me. Not natural at all. I much prefer Shure SRH840 or even SRH440 which I think offer tighter bass, better midrange detail and more natural treble from the strong coloration that M50 has. I also never felt that the Shures sounded as though the sound was trapped in the cups as M50 often did. For similar reasons, I often preferred M-Audio Q40 to M50 when I had both and several other closed cans as well. I would take AKG K271, Roland RH300, Beyer DT770 Pro, Fostex T50RP, Sony V6 and probably many others over M50 for similar reasons. May be it's just a preference thing, or maybe I got a bad pair, who knows.

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #409 of 991
Quote:
GoldenEars measurements aren't the same, and you can't compare graphs made by different people.

Here are the M50 measurements from the same site. Based on the CSD graphs, I would happily spend the extra money and go with DT770 Pro, which decays way faster across the entire spectrum. And I am pretty sure, I would pick DT770 Pro over HD800 as well... But EtyKids own them all!
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I prefer all my stats to the M50. The M50s are totally overrated.

M50 does decay much better than at least SR-0001. But DT770 Pro and EtyKids are way faster and I am sure even SR-009 may not be quite as good.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Never mind... looks like SR-0001 is faster than M50 overall, but not comparable to insanely fast Etykids and DT770 Pro.

Jul 9, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #411 of 991
Quote:
I think those graphs are pretty useless.  Every headphone looks the same. 

What do you mean? They look pretty different to me.

Jul 9, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #413 of 991
Quote:
They are so averaged they're meaningless.  Compare them to the graphs I posted earlier. 

And how does that affect the results in your opinion? Does it mean that while the graphs clearly seem to indicate that DT770 Pro is significantly faster than the M50, this may not be the case and that the difference is exaggerated or something? I don't get it. Do you just think the measurements were inaccurate? Or were they ok, but then were messed up due to excessive averaging?
confused_face%281%29.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #414 of 991
@pianist:

Those GE CSDs you are referring to are deceptive. I'm not one to slam someone else's work because I think GE is providing valuable contributions. But GE is not consistently presenting the waterfalls in such a way which takes the CSD calculations (successive FFTs) from just before the edge of the impulse rise.

There's some math behind this which is difficult to explain.

Here are three four better examples involving the M50, HD800, and DT880 (similar driver to DT770). SR009 also thrown in for reference.

Other than that, waterfall plots (which present decay) are only a partial indicator of perceived "speed" or transient response. Other factors come into play. The rise of the impulse is one. A treble tilt or 5kHz peak in the FR also helps with perceived speed. Slow or muddy bass is often a result of high levels of distortion.

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #415 of 991
I'm not going to bother reading the past 28 pages of post but i will give you my opinion on this topic.

Personally the M50 are complete crap. Muddy bass, lacking mids, average detail and no highs. Why would you ask this, simple - once you have tried high end headphones you can't go back listening to low/mid end headphones.

Yes some people will say the M50 is the best since it's the best headphone they have tried/listened to. Others will go it's complete crap as they have RS1i/GS/PS1000/HD600/650/800/DT770/880/990/T1/LCD2/3 etc.

Jul 10, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #417 of 991
Quote:
I'm not going to bother reading the past 28 pages of post but i will give you my opinion on this topic.

Personally the M50 are complete crap. Muddy bass, lacking mids, average detail and no highs. Why would you ask this, simple - once you have tried high end headphones you can't go back listening to low/mid end headphones.

Yes some people will say the M50 is the best since it's the best headphone they have tried/listened to. Others will go it's complete crap as they have RS1i/GS/PS1000/HD600/650/800/DT770/880/990/T1/LCD2/3 etc.

Because $ = quality, amirite?

Jul 10, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #418 of 991
Quote:

Because $ = quality, amirite?

Most of the time yes. Although there are in some cases overhyped and overpriced headphones. The M50 at its price yes it maybe good value but it doesn't even come near to high end headphones.

You don't expect to see the top headphones in the world selling for $100 do you?

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #419 of 991
Quote:
Most of the time yes. Although there are in some cases overhyped and overpriced headphones. The M50 at its price yes it maybe good value but it doesn't even come near to high end headphones.

You don't expect to see the top headphones in the world selling for $100 do you?

No, but I see/hear some of the worst headphones in the world selling for $1k+

Of course the M50 isn't going to come near the top end of the spectrum for sound quality, but that isn't the question in the thread.  The question is if the M50s are overrated?  And it's fine if you don't like them - but don't write them off for people new to the hobby looking for a pretty decently priced headphone that handles monitoring activities and listening to popular music quite well.  They can take a beating, they fold up nicely for travel, they isolate quite well, they turn flat to wear around the neck, they don't look half bad and they get pretty damned good reviews from professionals.  Oh, and they don't have hugely accentuated treble, which can cause fatigue and hearing loss - especially for the younger generation who listen straight out of ipods without realising you can control the volume down from "jet-engine-loud".

Pretty good deal, if you ask me.  Just because you don't like their particular sound doesn't mean they're overrated, it just means you don't like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back