M50s overrated?
May 29, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #391 of 991
Do you want me to post more graphs?  I am going to defeat this bull$hit M50 overhyped garbage right now.  Bring it. 

Purrin just described the resonance problems with the HD25. 

And the D7000, a headphone that is praised all over the place and costs hundreds of dollars more, has much more serious resonance artifacts. 

So what is your point exactly? 

May 30, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #393 of 991
Jul 3, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #394 of 991
ATH-M50:
lets begin 
very_evil_smiley.gif

1. Not balanced in with respect to multiple Genres(simply doesnt sound good with all genres 
2. Poor soundstage (suck for movies and games)
3. Very uncomfortable 
4. Earpads get sweaty and very warm
5. Been out many years without any upgrade
6. Recessed mids
7. Boomy lows (RIP Jazz and Classical)
8. Average highs
9. Flat and boring sound 
10. Not the best value for money under $200
11. Not a good all rounder

i think thats it 
deadhorse.gif

Jul 3, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #395 of 991
Quote:
Do you want me to post more graphs?  I am going to defeat this bull$hit M50 overhyped garbage right now.  Bring it. 

Purrin just described the resonance problems with the HD25. 

And the D7000, a headphone that is praised all over the place and costs hundreds of dollars more, has much more serious resonance artifacts. 

So what is your point exactly?  Oh that's right, you don't have one. 

Wow, you really love your M50's dont you!

I was disappointed with mine, hated the HD25 as well (to strident - made everything sound fast).

The M50 is not comfy and its mids do sound sucked out a bit in comparison with the bass/highs.

Of course this is my opinion, YMMV.

Prefer the HD439, ES7 and a quite few other similarly priced cans..

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #396 of 991
Quote:
ATH-M50:
lets begin 
very_evil_smiley.gif

1. Not balanced in with respect to multiple Genres(simply doesnt sound good with all genres 
2. Poor soundstage (suck for movies and games)
3. Very uncomfortable 
4. Earpads get sweaty and very warm
5. Been out many years without any upgrade
6. Recessed mids
7. Boomy lows (RIP Jazz and Classical)
8. Average highs
9. Flat and boring sound 
10. Not the best value for money under $200
11. Not a good all rounder

i think thats it 
deadhorse.gif

We have different priorities.  "flat sound" is not a weakness for me, that is a huge plus.  These are your opinions and that's fine, but it doesn't change the fact that the M50 does a lot of things right that many headphones fail at, while ticking a lot of boxes that newcomers want in a headphone (a little extra bass and treble)

Quote:
Wow, you really love your M50's dont you!

I was disappointed with mine, hated the HD25 as well (to strident - made everything sound fast).

The M50 is not comfy and its mids do sound sucked out a bit in comparison with the bass/highs.

Of course this is my opinion, YMMV.

Prefer the HD439, ES7 and a quite few other similarly priced cans..

It's not black and white.  I don't "love the M50".  I never listen to mine, I have better headphones. My point isn't that they are perfect, I don't think they are that great in an absolute sense, but man there are a lot of far more overrated phones than these. How can they be overrated if they have a cleaner, flatter response than many flagships? 

Jul 3, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #397 of 991
Just curious on the over-rated thing. What outlandish claims have people been making about them? That they are better than the Orpheus?

Jul 8, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #398 of 991
I agree with rhythmdevils that the m50 are not overrated. They are overhyped, but not overrated. Headphones like hd 280 pro are overrated, not m50. The m50s are not the best for the price, but they are a solid contender.

Jul 8, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #400 of 991
Now that is a total joke...

Jul 8, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #402 of 991
When I first got interested in higher quality headphones, the M50's were my first purchase. They sounded good, but it didn't sound like the second coming of Christ. I bought the DT770 250ohm and they sounded good, too, but nothing special. I even went into a local store in Manhattan to listen to the really expensive headphones that were $1K+ and still... nothing special. I'm not sure if my ears are defective or I just cannot tell what good sound is supposed to be like. In any case, I still have my M50s and the DT770 and I don't regret the purchase. I guess it depends on person to person. You might be a complete ignoramus like myself and just cannot hear the difference from a $100 headphones to $1000, but can appreciate good electronics. 

I mean, at least I know what really awful headphones sound like...

Jul 8, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #403 of 991
Quote:
I agree with rhythmdevils that the m50 are not overrated. They are overhyped, but not overrated. Headphones like hd 280 pro are overrated, not m50. The m50s are not the best for the price, but they are a solid contender.

Sennheiser HD 280 pro is a better allrounder than the ATH-M50, also the difference in sound between the 280 pro and m50 is a very thin line and the 280 pro is 50 dollars cheaper and hence a cheaper monitoring solution and greater value for money 
beerchug.gif

Jul 8, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #404 of 991
Quote:
Wow. This thread is making this headphone even more overrated. Everyone seems to have an M50

lol. yeah - they are very popular phones, but I do wonder if they're success is overshadowing other strong contenders in this market. I think Philips Citiscape Uptown is a recent product to get in the action.  I'm relatively new to full sized cans,  and the M50s were highly recommended. Based on my experience, it s a good recommendation. Not because they're the absolute best at everything, but it will reveal common strengths and weaknesses it posseses that many headphones share. In other words, you'll lean a lot about the things you like and don't like to help inform your future personal requirements for phone. I treat these as a benchmark can because we can make more objective comparisons with others

Jul 8, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #405 of 991
Quote:
Sennheiser HD 280 pro is a better allrounder than the ATH-M50, also the difference in sound between the 280 pro and m50 is a very thin line and the 280 pro is 50 dollars cheaper and hence a cheaper monitoring solution and greater value for money 
beerchug.gif

that's true. We are not talking about overpriced, we are talking about overrated lol 
biggrin.gif
 The sennheiser hd 280s are IMO even more praised than the m50s (mainly because of its value). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back