M2Tech HiFace 2?
Dec 2, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #256 of 562
Quote:
I still dont see what is wrong with KS, all the hardware I have used worked using KS in XP, Win7 and 8. I never knew wasapi was floating point, but i always thought it sounded inferior to KS, imho of course.

Sound quality wise, there is nothing wrong with KS. It's just that it was the vendor-independent bitperfect output method in XP, that was then superceeded by WASAPI after Vista's SP1. The issue with KS is one of stability, since it is highly dependent on southbridge and host controller implementations, which could produce stable results, but most reports were of issues severe enough to send systems into BSODs, mainly due to kernel mode drivers being used at the time.

Dec 12, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #257 of 562
Sound quality wise, there is nothing wrong with KS. It's just that it was the vendor-independent bitperfect output method in XP, that was then superceeded by WASAPI after Vista's SP1. The issue with KS is one of stability, since it is highly dependent on southbridge and host controller implementations, which could produce stable results, but most reports were of issues severe enough to send systems into BSODs, mainly due to kernel mode drivers being used at the time.

Thanks for explaining. Strangely enough i have recently tried a player that uses direct mode (jie extreme player) which beats any other player I have tried. Who would have guessed... I always thought KS, ASIO or WASAPI were the only way to do high quality audio...

Dec 12, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #258 of 562
Oops double post i blame bowser.

Dec 26, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #259 of 562
Got the Hiface 2 for Christmas! Out of the box it sounded really digital and harsh and severely changed the signature of my setup (Macbook > Audirvana + > Nuforce HDP > Senn. HD600) is this typical or should i expect the sound to change with use like you hear about with most other components?

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #260 of 562
So.. my hiface 2 didn't work well with windows 8 (occasional freezes), so reverted back to windows 7. I was actually under the impression that windows 8 sounded better, though, so too bad. Hopefully a driver will fix this, or maybe I just butchered some settings OR my 13''macbookpro had some incompatibility.

Jmstrmbn, the digital/harshness is probably out of contrast from whatever you were using before, I'm sure your ears will adjust over time (say a week or two tops). If you really dislike its sound signature, I'd consider returning the hiface. I personally like what it does to my set-up.

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #261 of 562
Quote:

So.. my hiface 2 didn't work well with windows 8 (occasional freezes), so reverted back to windows 7. I was actually under the impression that windows 8 sounded better, though, so too bad. Hopefully a driver will fix this, or maybe I just butchered some settings OR my 13''macbookpro had some incompatibility.

Jmstrmbn, the digital/harshness is probably out of contrast from whatever you were using before, I'm sure your ears will adjust over time (say a week or two tops). If you really dislike its sound signature, I'd consider returning the hiface. I personally like what it does to my set-up.

I had the same problems, after running the hiface2 driver and foobar2000 in windows 7 compatibility mode and using a mainboard USB 2.0 port, there are no more freezes for longer than one week. Before the freezes came every ~ 2 hours. But windows 8 doesn't sound better for me.

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #262 of 562
Quote:

I had the same problems, after running the hiface2 driver and foobar2000 in windows 7 compatibility mode and using a mainboard USB 2.0 port, there are no more freezes for longer than one week. Before the freezes came every ~ 2 hours. But windows 8 doesn't sound better for me.

I am using a laptop so I can choose between only two USB ports, both had the freeze problems. I installed the driver in compatibility mode, but I had freezes even with spotify or sometimes just booting up with the hiface plugged in. I'm certain they just need to polish their drivers, instead they just went from "For Vista/7" to "For Vista/7/8". I did sent them a mail, maybe they'll take notice.

Jan 8, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #263 of 562
Don't see how anyone can argue with something that is fundamental...i.e the "Kernal", it's what the Windows sound architecture is built "on" from what I can tell, regardless of the operating system, why would anyone want to do a needless conversion from integer to floating point and the back again as is the case with Wasapi, this to me "flies in the face" of the whole premise of the Hiface, this cannot help sound quality, that's not to say you may not prefer the sound of the "conversion" required. Perhaps this the reason why there has not been any recent updates to the foobar kernal AFIK...as there is nothing to "add" I suspect.

Does it matter if there is no K mixer in Vista /7 etc, the purpose of this process is to allow many different sound source sync rates to operate at the same time and speak from the same "sync-book" so to speak, I'm sure they still have a version (e.g an L for vista, M for Windows 7? ) of this somewhere but its now 32 bit instead of XP's 16 bit so it's less "bad" but it still does a needless conversion.

I have a MK1 which I think may be better as someone mentioned here earlier the windows sound controls the volume on the mark2 version...is this a mirror of the players' volume? because on mine the Windows volume control has no effect...in fact its great as I can use my Behringer UCA202 for "ordinary sound" via Direct Sound and still have the Hiface playing through the HiFi. Can anyone shed some light on this situation and if it will have an effect on the sound due to resolution due to LSB losses and all that. I have mine connected via a 7port Belkin hub that is powered by a unregulated 6V@4A (linear) and then bought a ready made 3A regulator module that feeds the hub a regulated 8v...sounds good and a bit "sharper" since recently adding the outboard regulation.

Would like to know if anyone uses the Young dac drivers as they work with Hiface...I do and I think they are better sounding.

Jan 13, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #264 of 562
Hello
I have a Hiface2 connected to my Mac and I run Audirvana. Sometimes (like once every week or two), my Hiface is not recognised anymore by my Mac. I am not sure what is triggering it but the only way to make it seen by the Mac again is to disconnect it and reconnect it. Actually my Hiface is connected to a Power USB device which is connected to my Mac but I am pretty sure the Power USB device is not causing any trouble. This happened once when I change albums when listening music. When I look at the console it says The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in.
Some people on this post on this post had issues with USB not being recognised too so I was wondering if they have found a reason and/or a solution. In my case I am not sure of the reason (Hiface2, Mac OS, Audirvana...) but I would appreciate any advice/help.
I neved had any issued with Hiface1 but I was using different software also so it is very difficult to compare.

Thanks
philoouu 

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #265 of 562
Quote:
Hello
I have a Hiface2 connected to my Mac and I run Audirvana. Sometimes (like once every week or two), my Hiface is not recognised anymore by my Mac. I am not sure what is triggering it but the only way to make it seen by the Mac again is to disconnect it and reconnect it. Actually my Hiface is connected to a Power USB device which is connected to my Mac but I am pretty sure the Power USB device is not causing any trouble. This happened once when I change albums when listening music. When I look at the console it says The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in.
Some people on this post on this post had issues with USB not being recognised too so I was wondering if they have found a reason and/or a solution. In my case I am not sure of the reason (Hiface2, Mac OS, Audirvana...) but I would appreciate any advice/help.
I neved had any issued with Hiface1 but I was using different software also so it is very difficult to compare.

Thanks
philoouu 

Hi,

I had that problem too, my HiFace 2 not being recognized, but since I have followed a fixed routine, the problem has largely been eliminated. I now power down my amp first, followed by switching off the music player and I use MC18, and then switching off the DAC.

See if this will work for you.

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #266 of 562
Thanks. I leave for days Audirava/Itunes open; may be I should close it systematically at the end of each session. Once the USB connection disappeared in the middle of the session. The other time it happened was at the beginning. I cannot reproduce the problem so it makes it very difficult to find the reason. It does look like Hiface1 was more stable than Hiface2.
philoouu

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #267 of 562
Quote:
Hello

Hi,
i've this issue as well. It is not the worst thin in the world... but would be nice to know why Hiface2 lose the USB connection sometimes.. For me the weirdest thing if i turn my mac mini on -have left the Hiface2 connected alst night- and Lion doesnt recognise it. So i must to do the disconnect/reconnect just after Lion starts.. :S

Jan 27, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #268 of 562
New TheSycon driver available.
Read here http://www.head-fi.org/t/562732/stello-u3-async-usb-to-coax-aes-ebu-transport-impressions-updated/180#post_9096788
After inf modification outlined in the linked thread works for HiFace2 as well.

Jan 27, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #269 of 562
Quote:
New TheSycon driver available.
Read here http://www.head-fi.org/t/562732/stello-u3-async-usb-to-coax-aes-ebu-transport-impressions-updated/180#post_9096788
After inf modification outlined in the linked thread works for HiFace2 as well.

1) Download driver from here http://www.luckit.biz/downloads/Luckit%20WaveIO%20Drivers%20(v1.63.0).rar
2) Uninstall existing driver
3) Unrar downloaded driver and replace inf and ini files with attachment
4) Unplug HiFace2
5) Start setup.exe and follow instructions

Modded inf files attached

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #270 of 562
Quote:

1) Download driver from here http://www.luckit.biz/downloads/Luckit%20WaveIO%20Drivers%20(v1.63.0).rar
2) Uninstall existing driver
3) Unrar downloaded driver and replace inf and ini files with attachment
4) Unplug HiFace2
5) Start setup.exe and follow instructions

Modded inf files attached

I have the Hiface2. I followed the instructions above and everything installed without any problem. Fired up the Hiface2 using Foobar and reset the output source. Worked perfectly on the first try. It is too soon to say if there is any sonic difference but after a quick listen I certainly do not notice any degradation and perhaps a bit more detail but time will tell. I was encouraged to do this because my Windows 7 system usually did not recognize the Hiface 2 without unplugging it and plugging it back in after opening the computer. A minor hassle but if this will solve it I figured it was worth a try. If it delivers better sound that would always be a plus. Frankly, I have always found the Hiface 2 to deliver great sound quality so I have no complaints there. I will report back in a few days on how this works out in solving the problem of Windows recognizing the Hiface 2 on boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back