M2Tech HiFace 2?
Sep 16, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #181 of 562
Hi. Does anybody know if the hiface2 is the only spdif/usb converter that supports ASIO? I'm running Foobar2000 on Windows XP (my preference!). Preliminary research tells me ASIO will give me the best sound in WinXP while bypassing the "kmixer".

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #182 of 562
Quote:
Hi. Does anybody know if the hiface2 is the only spdif/usb converter that supports ASIO? I'm running Foobar2000 on Windows XP (my preference!). Preliminary research tells me ASIO will give me the best sound in WinXP while bypassing the "kmixer".

I think HiFace 2 uses the XMOS USB chip, and drivers are from Thescyon and provided by the chip manufacturer.  So basically any other USB/SPDIF converter using the XMOS chipset should provide the same drivers and support ASIO, such as the V LINK 192, Stellu U3, Anedio U2, etc.  Not sure if any of these are cheaper than the HiFace though.  Ther are probably other chips/drivers that support ASIO as well that I have not mentioned.

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #183 of 562
The hiface2 drivers are provided by M2Tech, and it's possible also to bypass the mixer with KS (kernel streaming) and Wasapi in Windows with corresponding foobar components.

I haven't tested yet as for bitperfect I use KS, but the difference with previous hiface,  is that hiface2 also allows native ASIO (in previous one ASIO4ALL needed).

From what I remember, is the cheapest (or one of them) using XMOS

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #185 of 562
surely native ASIO is better than ASIO4ALL which is the solution for devices which have not native ASIO.

For the rest, there are a lot of oppinions, and I guess maybe depends on the device too.

The best is own testing, actually is quite easy, is just downloading 3 components (for asio, ks or wasapi)  and change the output in the player configuration. Foobar has got recently new version of wasapi component (3.0), if I remember well, ASIO is a little bit older and actually the grandpha is KS 
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #188 of 562
Not likely I know but, has anyone heard some or all of the XMOS reference designs side by side?  The common ones being the Stello U3, Anedio U2, MF V-Link192 and the m2tech HF2.  Curious if the full sized ones bring anything that the HF2 doesn't already for less.

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #189 of 562
I have one coming for my old MacBook Pro that doesn't support 24/192 drivers on its own, and I wondered how any Mac users like it.  Since there's no driver, does this just show up in the standard Audio MIDI setup where one can select the sample rate?  I assume Amarra would change the bit rate as it does with the optical built into my MacBook Pro.

Oct 21, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #191 of 562
Not likely I know but, has anyone heard some or all of the XMOS reference designs side by side?  The common ones being the Stello U3, Anedio U2, MF V-Link192 and the m2tech HF2.  Curious if the full sized ones bring anything that the HF2 doesn't already for less.

I would love to read this comparison. I would also love to write it, I have the V192 but would need to borrow the other three for a bit...

Oct 21, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #192 of 562
This is interesting because if these manufacturers are doing this properly their usb device would have no sound of its own. I think we would all agree that coloration of the source is not desirable.The object here is a neutral device that has no sound signature. If you want to color the sound there is plenty of opportunity to do that down the line (or even in the source program with eq). I think with these usb interfaces the real issue is the ability to resolve detail.

Oct 21, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #193 of 562

Also the Wavelength WaveLink HS (bottom of page) is XMOS, as well as implementing their Streamlength protocol that they license to others like the Halide Bridge. One was sold here on the forums recently at $450 (half the new retail price).

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #194 of 562
i use this external power supply for the hiface two :

http://www.aqvox.de/usb-power_en.html

the benefit of using this external power supply are:

1)Better precision on attack and decay of transients.Better articulation on the bass frequency range.
2)Better focus on mid and high frequencies.

For what it costs it's really worthy.

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #195 of 562
Quote:
i use this external power supply for the hiface two :

http://www.aqvox.de/usb-power_en.html

the benefit of using this external power supply are:

1)Better precision on attack and decay of transients.Better articulation on the bass frequency range.
2)Better focus on mid and high frequencies.

For what it costs it's really worthy.

Thanks for your thoughts regarding the power supply. Out of interest what type of USB cable are you using, material wise? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back