M Audio Q40 VS. Audio Technica M50
Aug 9, 2010 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

chris.goncalves

New Head-Fier
alright so im now deiciding between the m50's and the q40's
im looking for : loud sound but detailed, nice bass and durability (i can drive over to m audio in toronto to get repairs done so durability isnt my biggest concern)
help me make my deicision guys:)
dt880smile.png

Aug 9, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 13
Get away from the Wesc crap.

You could do a lot worse than the Shure 440 or 750DJ, and the 750s sometimes go on sale for less than $150.

If you can stretch your money just a bit, you can take a look at some Beyerdynamic DT770/Pro 80 at pro audio stores.  For about $180, you can get truly world-class bass.

That much can also put you into some decent Ultrasones, which should sound pretty solid--maybe the Ozma 5 @ $100 that sell out of Brampton on ebay.  

The M-Audio Studiophile is right around $150 too, and is supposed to have an ideal sound for the music you're looking for. (Moog Audio carries them)

Senn HD-25 SP are also that price, if you're looking for something smaller.

Aug 9, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
For $99 USD the Grado SR80i will get you off to good start.

For $99 USD (and this INCLUDES Shipping worldwide) an Alessandro MS1 will get you off to a much better start.

Aug 10, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #6 of 13
Same price range and good bass:
M-Audio Q40
Audio Technica M50

Aug 11, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 13
im deiciding between the m audo q40`s and the audio technica m50`s, theyre in my price range and both seem awesome.....but like ive said before most people on this site know a shitload more about headphones than i do.  i dont wanna sound like a nag just dont wanna waste my money.....so guys which headphones should i go for, the m audio q40 or the audio tecnnica m50

Aug 11, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 13
just checked out ebay and the m audios go for around 150 while the audio technica`s are right around 100...bear in mind im looking for a nice loudd sound with bass. i really dont mind spending the 150 so without budget as a factor, which are the better product for what im looking for

Aug 11, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #9 of 13
I also highly recommend DT770's from Beyerdynamic.  Just stretch your budget a tiny bit and you'll be there.  The bass is unbelievable compared to the $150 competition.  

PS:  Try not to double post =]  Instead, edit your post before it and add whatever else you wanted to say.  That, or wait until someone replies first before posting again.

Aug 11, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #10 of 13
well the highest i wanna go is 150, so i thinkk im gonna go with the m audio studiophile q40`s....im never gonna be in the studio, just for personal use but still can we agree that this is a good choice? and my bad on the re post.
my buddy grabbed a pair of the beats by dre studio's, but im almost positive theyre overpriced as all hell....how would these m audio's compare to the dre's as a benchmark?

Aug 12, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #11 of 13
Search the forum "q40 vs m50" and you will find lots of in depth comparisons. In the end, you'll have to choose for yourself. Personally from what I've read, I'd probably go with the m50.

Both of these will have a lot more detail than beats, though I'm not sure how bass compares. I really think you would be happier to steer away from beats. 

Aug 16, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #12 of 13
grabbed the q40`s yesterday and im pretty much as happy as could be. got about 4 hours on em now and man am i loving them. thanks a lott guys i would have ended up buying the wesc bagpipe`s and probably woulda been dissapointed compared to these q40`s. cheers.

Aug 16, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #13 of 13
Congrats on the Q40. I personally prefer the M50 by a small margin as it has a better balance thorughout the freq ranges for me but the Q40 is certainly not bad. Neither compare well to something like a DT770 but that's a whole different price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back