M-Audio Q40 Replacement Cable
Aug 9, 2010 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

advan

New Head-Fier
Just got my M-Audio Q40 headphones today and WOW. Totally love it.
After reading through all the threads about the Q40 cable, I thought about how I could substitute the cable without spending a fortune. Turns out that Amazon has some nice cables that I could modify to fit into the Q40's threaded headphone jack. I got a Aurum 3.5mm male to male nylon braided 6' cable for $9.
http://www.amazon.com/Aurum-Cables-3-5mm-Stereo-Auxiliary/dp/B003SG5A2Q/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281410787&sr=8-4
It has a rubbery jack housing that you could cut with a razor blade to fit deeper into the headphone. I can still threaded it in through jack housing rubbery compression.
It fits tight and is a perfect fit. The cable is nice and not too long. I highly recommend this economical option to wonderful headphone.

Sep 3, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 24
[size=medium]Sorry to bring up and old thread, but I thought it better than starting a new one about the same thing...[/size]

[size=medium]I just ordered my Q40s.  I want to get a cable that will have a control button for my iPhone.  I know I can get an extension cable with this, but I don't really want to add more length or connectors to the mix.[/size]

[size=medium]From the pics alone, it seems like this might have a skinny enough plug to go past the threads without having to modify the tip: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0082GN0JW/[/size]

[size=medium]It looks similar to the ends on the cable mentioned in this thread (that was confirmed to fit): http://www.head-fi.org/t/625464/q40-cable-replacement[/size]

[size=medium]Here are the pics:[/size]
[size=medium][/size]

[size=medium][/size]

[size=medium]So, does anyone that already has their Q40's in hand agree that this is likely to fit?  It appears the straight end would go into the headphones (since it's stereo only) and the 90-degree bend end would go into the phone (since it has the extra band for the mic/control).[/size]

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 24
Should fit, just compare the metal "pin" vs the plastic/rubber part, it barely gets any wider at all at the platic part... should fit with a bit spareroom.

Sep 4, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply... I just ordered it.  I'll report back on how it works... once I actually get everything (I don't even have the headphones yet).

What source/amp are you planning to use? Just curious.

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

What source/amp are you planning to use? Just curious.

[size=medium]I currently have a FiiO E6 and a L3 LOD.  I realize the iPhone control probably won't work through the LOD, and it might not sound as good directly from the headphones jack, but for using this at work in my cubicle, I think the tradeoff with having a pause button will be worth it.  If SQ is acceptable without the E6, I may not use it when I'm at work, but if it's dramatically better, I'll wag it along.[/size]

[size=medium]I am also not ruling out upgrading to maybe an E11 or other, but first things first, I need my Q40 in hand. :)[/size]

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #8 of 24
Okay, I just got my Q40's in the mail, and the BlackBox C150 cable.  For the record, the cable fits and looks great on the headphones.  No mod necessary.  But (as expected) the button only works directly from the headphones jack of a smartphone or mp3 player, and not through the LOD.  I knew that would be the case, but just confirming for anyone curious.

Here is a couple of pics:

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #9 of 24
I use a V-Moda Audio Only Cable. The ordered the one the OP used, but you needed to mod it to get it to fit, and I messed it up :frowning2: . Anyway, the V-Moda cable is a lot thinner and lighter so it works pretty well.

I have to send my Q40s in for repair I think. the jack where the cable goes in moves and if it isnt in completely straight the sound goes wonky. This isnt a problem with the stock cable though. Also the drivers rattle a bit on my pair when you shake them.
Anybody else having either of these issues?

Jan 27, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:
I use a V-Moda Audio Only Cable. The ordered the one the OP used, but you needed to mod it to get it to fit, and I messed it up
frown.gif
. Anyway, the V-Moda cable is a lot thinner and lighter so it works pretty well.

I have to send my Q40s in for repair I think. the jack where the cable goes in moves and if it isnt in completely straight the sound goes wonky. This isnt a problem with the stock cable though. Also the drivers rattle a bit on my pair when you shake them.
Anybody else having either of these issues?

I haven't experienced that problem..yet. Hope you get that taken care of. I love these headphones, I hope they don't fall apart on me 
basshead.gif
I just ordered a new V-Moda 3 Button cable and a set of Beyerdynamic 770 leather pads for them. I want to find out if they are any better than my velour pads when it comes to isolation and/or comfort. 

Jan 27, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:
Okay, I just got my Q40's in the mail, and the BlackBox C150 cable.  For the record, the cable fits and looks great on the headphones.  No mod necessary.  But (as expected) the button only works directly from the headphones jack of a smartphone or mp3 player, and not through the LOD.  I knew that would be the case, but just confirming for anyone curious.

Here is a couple of pics:

Looks great! Nice find.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #13 of 24
Jan 28, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #14 of 24
Just thought I'd post a pic of the V-Moda cable I use. Works great and I love the way it looks. I got the 3 button so I can use it with my Apple products. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:
Is it possible to get a coiled replacement cable which will fit and screw into the headphones just like the one they came with does?
I've only seen images of q40s with coiled cable but haven't found a place where it could be purchased.

http://cdn.coolest-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/maudio-q40.jpg
http://images.junostatic.com/full/IS455303-01-01-BIG.jpg

I am pretty sure that is just the regular straight cable all coiled up... look at the way it's tied up at the ends of the coil.  An actual coiled cable looks quite different... example: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Z9JWYO/ (note, I am by no means suggesting the cable I just linked is a good match for the Q40, it's just an example of a true coiled cable).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back