LZ A7 IEM's impressions and reviews thread
Jun 19, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #1,547 of 1,793
A7 is a lot better lol. The B2 has a very unnatural BA timbre across the range, with a bass that sounds more like a BA with some DD texture than a regular DD.
How about the Dusk version?

also anyone compared LZ A7 with Mangird Tea?

Jun 19, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #1,548 of 1,793
Just revisited my A7, decide to connect Hiby 20 Ohm impedance adapter to it on Black/POP. Surpass my expectations, like it better then Red/Pop. Tighter low frequency response👍😁

Jun 20, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #1,550 of 1,793
I'll have to choose between the LZ A7 and the following two models Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk and Thieaudio Legacy 4. Which do you recommend?
I don’t have the Moondrop B2 Dusk, but I do have both the LZ A7 and Thieaudio L4. The L7 - to me - is clearly superior. The L4 mids are somewhat thin, and treble just a bit bright. The A7, with its filters, can be customized to preference.

Jun 21, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #1,551 of 1,793
I like the tuning of Blon 03 its one of my faves alongside Dunu SA6.

What I am looking for is a Blon 03 with better technicalities.

Is the LZ A7 with any of the filters similarly tuned to Blon 03 with better technicalities?. Thanks.

Jun 21, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #1,552 of 1,793

Is the LZ A7 with any of the filters similarly tuned to Blon 03 with better technicalities?. Thanks.

LZ A7 for sure beats the BLON BL-03 in technicalities (clarity, imaging, instrument separation, details, soundstage, transients, bass quality). And it isn't even close. But LZ A7 doesn't beat the BLON BL-03 in timbral accuracy.

It is kind of an apples to oranges comparison to compare single DD (dynamic driver) (eg BLON BL-03) to tribids (which contain piezos to boot) like the LZ A7. In general the single DD will be weaker in technicalities but they may have better timbral accuracy, and vice versa. Having said that, LZ A7's timbre is actually very good for a piezo containing set, maybe only at the higher frequencies that violins may sound a tinge artificial. Well some folks are not particular about timbre, it also depends on the music genres you listen to.

So if you want a similar tuning to the BLON BL-03 with better technicalities, best to check out other single DD sets. Stuff like the Whizzer HE01, KBEAR BElieve, iBasso IT00, or even higher end stuff like IKKO OH7 or DUNU LUNA.

Edit: The BLON BL-03 is also rather analoguish with thicker note weight, whereas the LZ A7 is thinner in note weight with greater clarity. Even if you get the same BLON BL-03 harmanish curve with the various (aftermarket/stock) filters on the LZ A7, the sound signature is very very different.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #1,553 of 1,793
LZ A7 for sure beats the BLON BL-03 in technicalities (clarity, imaging, instrument separation, details, soundstage, transients, bass quality). And it isn't even close. But LZ A7 doesn't beat the BLON BL-03 in timbral accuracy.

It is kind of an apples to oranges comparison to compare single DD (dynamic driver) (eg BLON BL-03) to tribids (which contain piezos to boot) like the LZ A7. In general the single DD will be weaker in technicalities but they may have better timbral accuracy, and vice versa. Having said that, LZ A7's timbre is actually very good for a piezo containing set, maybe only at the higher frequencies that violins may sound a tinge artificial. Well some folks are not particular about timbre, it also depends on the music genres you listen to.

So if you want a similar tuning to the BLON BL-03 with better technicalities, best to check out other single DD sets. Stuff like the Whizzer HE01, KBEAR BElieve, iBasso IT00, or even higher end stuff like IKKO OH7 or DUNU LUNA.

Edit: The BLON BL-03 is also rather analoguish with thicker note weight, whereas the LZ A7 is thinner in note weight with greater clarity. Even if you get the same BLON BL-03 harmanish curve with the various (aftermarket/stock) filters on the LZ A7, the sound signature is very very different.
Thanks. I am also looking at hybrids such Blessing 2, Blessing 2 Dusk, Ibasso IT04, ThieAudio Oracle/Excalibur. Maybe Mangird Tea but from reviews I read its a bit laid back.

Cos I would like that physical thump you get on the bass which BA sets like Dunu SA6 don't have.

But Dunu SA6 has grown on me regardless and treble is good and mids are great. Is there a Dunu SA6 with a DD bass out there that has that 'thump'. Cheers.

Jun 21, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #1,554 of 1,793

So you want a true upgrade to the 03? Get the Sony XBA-N3.

(new units still available on accessoryjack.)

Jun 21, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #1,555 of 1,793
Thanks. I am also looking at hybrids such Blessing 2, Blessing 2 Dusk, Ibasso IT04, ThieAudio Oracle/Excalibur. Maybe Mangird Tea but from reviews I read its a bit laid back.

Cos I would like that physical thump you get on the bass which BA sets like Dunu SA6 don't have.

But Dunu SA6 has grown on me regardless and treble is good and mids are great. Is there a Dunu SA6 with a DD bass out there that has that 'thump'. Cheers.
I have never tried the Blon, but I have both the Dunu SA6 and LZ A7. For the following comparison, keep in mind that I have only used my A7 in monitor setting with black filters. I have tinkered with other combinations, but not enough to talk about them.
To me, the SA6 has more bass than the A7, but it sounds lighter, while the A7's bass sounds denser. I would not qualify the A7 as a thumpy IEM, not in monitor/black at least.
The A7 has more upper treble sparkle/extension, while the SA6 has more presence.
Timber is much better with the A7 IMO. I really dislike how trumpets sound with the SA6.

An oddball suggestion: try the PMV PP?

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #1,556 of 1,793
The BLON 03 does have a very satisfying sound signature for the price. But at least for me it was quite uncomfortable to wear. So there's that.

Agree with the observation that a single DD will inherently sound different than a hybrid or tribrid.

I had the IT00 for a bit and did not care for it. I would rather have the BLON 03. Also, if you like iBasso I hear great things about the IT07. Some users here have both and have told me that the IT07 is a step up. But then again I am perfectly happy with the LZ A7.

Jun 22, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #1,557 of 1,793
So you want a true upgrade to the 03? Get the Sony XBA-N3.

(new units still available on accessoryjack.)
I looked at your IEM list. How would you compare the Blon 03 to Dunu EST112, bass wise quality and quantity for sub bass and mid bass?

I may end up getting the Dunu EST112 you said it trumps the LZ A7. I have the Dunu SA6 apart from bass which is ok I love everything else. The mids on these are lovely so good for me personally.

Thanks.

Jun 22, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #1,558 of 1,793
I looked at your IEM list. How would you compare the Blon 03 to Dunu EST112, bass wise quality and quantity for sub bass and mid bass?

I may end up getting the Dunu EST112 you said it trumps the LZ A7. I have the Dunu SA6 apart from bass which is ok I love everything else. The mids on these are lovely so good for me personally.

Thanks.
The EST112 is quite different from the 03 though, it doesnt have as much bass quantity (but quality is a lot better) and sounds more referrence tuned which can be boring going from the 03 to the 112.

graph (7).png

I would also recommend that if you are interested in any tribrid at that 500 usd price range, to wait for the winner in this tribrid war to end.

Jun 22, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #1,559 of 1,793
The EST112 is quite different from the 03 though, it doesnt have as much bass quantity (but quality is a lot better) and sounds more referrence tuned which can be boring going from the 03 to the 112.

I would also recommend that if you are interested in any tribrid at that 500 usd price range, to wait for the winner in this tribrid war to end.
My budget is $700-750. The way you described the EST112 as Ultra Instinct had me curious haha. I would not mind a bit less bass quantity if quality is significantly better.

I have been eyeing up Tribrids but the Moondrop Variations just added so much more confusion. When will this great war end this hobby is mind screw**y at times.

I heard Excalibur has bass. Oracle is more reference. Monarch has too much sub bass. Clair has more bass than Oracle but balanced.

For me vocals are important it should not be recessed in general.

Blon 03 vocals are recessed which is a shame. Btw I saw your post in a few forums as well.

In the mean time then do you have any Hybrid recommendations where Vocals are not recessed. The Sony XBA-N3 you recommended, seems to recessed vocals.

Do you have any hybrids to recommend $200-350 with nice bass and not recessed vocals. I remember you saying the Blessing 2 you don't get the hype. Mangird Tea???? Bass is not much on it.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back