LZ A7 IEM's impressions and reviews thread
Apr 23, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #1,516 of 1,793
I had LZ A7 for a week... so far in dilemma, it's jack of all trades, but nothing really stand offish...

Meaning for each tuning, there are better IEMs out there to beat LZ A7.

Any recommendation?

I like how the mid and vocal sounds with gold filter
I like how the clarity and imaging with silver filter
I like how the bass impact with red filter

Can I get all three into one? I might have to sell this one.

Apr 24, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #1,517 of 1,793
I had LZ A7 for a week...
(...) for each tuning, there are better IEMs out there to beat LZ A7.

Any recommendation?

I like very much A7 360° sound features.
This said it likely is already overcome by some $500 and over IEMS, ones costing double/ three times asmuch,
ones that may have biases too.
If you ask for my experience, I coud favor Penon Volt and iBasso IT07 because of better detail, better sound imaging,
midrange and vocals. The sub - bass of both is better than the very good one of A7, pop mode
with red and black filters. This said I still like my A7, it sounds great, dry precise and without hiss in any DAP I own, isolates
great, I like how it plays the acoustic music I like best and is a very good commuting IEM I want to keep .

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #1,518 of 1,793
This said it likely is already overcome by some $500 and over IEMS, ones costing double/ three times asmuch,
If you ask for my experience, I coud favor Penon Volt and iBasso IT07 because of better detail, better sound imaging,
midrange and vocals. The sub - bass of both is better than the very good one of A7, pop mode
with red and black filters. This said I still like my A7, it sounds great, dry precise and without hiss in any DAP I own, isolates
great, I like how it plays the acoustic music I like best and is a very good commuting IEM I want to keep .
It is both a great, and frustrating, time to be an audiophile... At any point in time there will be higher priced products better than our current favorites, and if you wait just a little things will advance far enough that better products will be even cheaper than your current favorite. Some time ago the Shure SE846 ruled the high end of IEMs at a $900 price. Today less expensive IEMs are better - and even better high end IEMs are available at a much higher price...!

Apr 25, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #1,519 of 1,793
It is both a great, and frustrating, time to be an audiophile... At any point in time there will be higher priced products better than our current favorites, and if you wait just a little things will advance far enough that better products will be even cheaper than your current favorite. Some time ago the Shure SE846 ruled the high end of IEMs at a $900 price. Today less expensive IEMs are better - and even better high end IEMs are available at a much higher price...!

I agreed with you wholeheartedly... I just wish I did not get KBear Believe prior; I am pretty sure that I will appreciate LZ A7 more...

After a lot of tinkering, I am sticking with black nozzle monitor mode, the original setting from the beginning.

Certain filters do work wonders for certain music genres, so LZ A7 is not for a casual listening, but more tuned for specific genres for each specific filter.

Silver and Blue filters: they work wonders for symphony and instrumental.

Gold filter: for easy listening without being technical and having fun feature.

Red filter: only for treble sensitive person, A7 treble tends to be in the hot side even though less than KZ ZAX that tends to be sibilance.

Black filter: pretty much balanced sound output from all of the filters, having the best resolution even though resolution was below KBear Believe with good amplification (200mW). I also purchased 2.5mm balanced cable for A7. A7 does not benefit for more amping. Will return the 2.5mm balanced cable prolly.

Pop and monitor tuning, just affect the vocals, whether you want the vocal to be more present or not, monitor setting making it more balanced vs pop setting making it more fun, turning the IEM into V-shaped.

I guess I am keeping this for now.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #1,520 of 1,793

I will save up... next step up, I need to really listen to it first prior spending my money...
I wonder how can I do that, makes me want to open an online store which can send out a test product before buying.

What I hate from buying IEM/Headset, there is no way that you could test drive them first.
Anyone want to do business venture with me? :)

Apr 25, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #1,521 of 1,793
I will save up... next step up, I need to really listen to it first prior spending my money...
I wonder how can I do that, makes me want to open an online store which can send out a test product before buying.

What I hate from buying IEM/Headset, there is no way that you could test drive them first.
I would love to come up with a business model that puts trials back into hifi. Some kind of buyer's club is all that I can come up with.

The problem become one of quality control. If people demo a unit and pass it on how do you deal with product abuse or lost pieces? With a tour its pretty easy to identify where in the chain a product got messed up but in a commercial venture this kind of tracking gets problematic pretty fast.

I suppose you could make concerns about problem users known publicly as a way of enforcing good behavior but it could get argumentative really fast. There was one head-fi person that constantly made excuses about lost money, lost equipment, etc. and eventually moderators added a caveat about their behavior to their status. So instead of "headphoneous extremous" or some such it said something like "known thief". I thought that was pretty funny though extreme. Having worked with them I thought the caveat was well deserved by the way.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #1,522 of 1,793
I had LZ A7 for a week... so far in dilemma, it's jack of all trades, but nothing really stand offish...

Meaning for each tuning, there are better IEMs out there to beat LZ A7.

Any recommendation?

Since you already own them, did you try changing the cable? I changed mine to a copper/silver mix cable and it unleashed the beast in the A7. Luscious and transparent throughout the whole spectrum! You should really just try changing the cable to a copper/silver mix before attempting to sell them, IMHO!

PS. I'm at work right now, but if you like? I can send you PIC's tonight of the copper/silver mixed cable that made a difference on my A7. They are total keepers! If I find a link on Aliexpress, I can send you that, too.

Always glad to help...

-Clear

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #1,523 of 1,793

Are there local audio shops where you can go down to audition gear?
I know now we are in a covid epidemic, but the shops I go to do sterilize the eartips and IEMs with alcohol swabs after each auditioning session. That's a useful way to test drive IEMs, especially higher end ones without needing to sell a kidney.

I personally know a few audiophiles that also spam the Amazon abuse technique, they order lots of gear from Amazon each month and they just send back stuff that they don't like. I personally think it isn't ethical but so far I've not seen Amazon ban them (they easily listen to 5 - 10 IEMs per month using this abuse technique). I went to read thru the Amazon returns policy and apparently yeah, it is not technically illegal, but I wouldn't feel good doing this technique.

Anyways as for test driving IEMs, there's a local shop I know that has an online website advertising lots of CHIFI (I think he buys them from Aliexpress). He rents a small room in a shophouse to let people go down to audition stuff if they wish to. Kinda smart idea, but you do run the risk of people damaging your demo units, and there will for sure be some folks who may just use the IEM for testing, and they don't buy it, but later on they go to a cheaper online platform (eg Aliexpress) or elsewhere to get it!

Apr 25, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #1,524 of 1,793
I would love to come up with a business model that puts trials back into hifi. Some kind of buyer's club is all that I can come up with.

The problem become one of quality control. If people demo a unit and pass it on how do you deal with product abuse or lost pieces? With a tour its pretty easy to identify where in the chain a product got messed up but in a commercial venture this kind of tracking gets problematic pretty fast.

I suppose you could make concerns about problem users known publicly as a way of enforcing good behavior but it could get argumentative really fast. There was one head-fi person that constantly made excuses about lost money, lost equipment, etc. and eventually moderators added a caveat about their behavior to their status. So instead of "headphoneous extremous" or some such it said something like "known thief". I thought that was pretty funny though extreme. Having worked with them I thought the caveat was well deserved by the way.
Yeah thinking of doing it after I retire, wish me luck hopefully in a couple of years

Apr 25, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #1,525 of 1,793
Since you already own them, did you try changing the cable? I changed mine to a copper/silver mix cable and it unleashed the beast in the A7. Luscious and transparent throughout the whole spectrum! You should really just try changing the cable to a copper/silver mix before attempting to sell them, IMHO!

PS. I'm at work right now, but if you like? I can send you PIC's tonight of the copper/silver mixed cable that made a difference on my A7. They are total keepers! If I find a link on Aliexpress, I can send you that, too.

Always glad to help...

-Clear
Thanks, I paired it with my iphone, sounds wonderful, I think LZ A7 is pairing badly with BTR5, I think BTR5 pushed LZ A7 to the extreme...

So for now, at least I know to not pair it with BTR5.

Apr 26, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #1,526 of 1,793
Are there local audio shops where you can go down to audition gear?
I know now we are in a covid epidemic, but the shops I go to do sterilize the eartips and IEMs with alcohol swabs after each auditioning session. That's a useful way to test drive IEMs, especially higher end ones without needing to sell a kidney.

I personally know a few audiophiles that also spam the Amazon abuse technique, they order lots of gear from Amazon each month and they just send back stuff that they don't like. I personally think it isn't ethical but so far I've not seen Amazon ban them (they easily listen to 5 - 10 IEMs per month using this abuse technique). I went to read thru the Amazon returns policy and apparently yeah, it is not technically illegal, but I wouldn't feel good doing this technique.

Anyways as for test driving IEMs, there's a local shop I know that has an online website advertising lots of CHIFI (I think he buys them from Aliexpress). He rents a small room in a shophouse to let people go down to audition stuff if they wish to. Kinda smart idea, but you do run the risk of people damaging your demo units, and there will for sure be some folks who may just use the IEM for testing, and they don't buy it, but later on they go to a cheaper online platform (eg Aliexpress) or elsewhere to get it!

none around my area, but they have one in downtown LA, but again limited Chifi.

i would love to open a store where people can test drive the IEM and be able to buy on the spot, same price as Aliexpress. I am pretty sure if volume high enough, you could get distributor pricing. The only problem is that importing IEM from overseas will be tagged custom fees.

anyway, found the culprit, BTR5 made LZ A7 super hot... I did not know that. Listening directly from my Iphone, sounds wonderful but again with my standard black monitor on monitor mode. I have to use KZ starline, for some reasons eartips supplied by LZ, none fits my preference.

Apr 26, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #1,527 of 1,793
i would love to open a store where people can test drive the IEM and be able to buy on the spot, same price as Aliexpress. I am pretty sure if volume high enough, you could get distributor pricing. The only problem is that importing IEM from overseas will be tagged custom fees.
If we could start with a large fortune we could make a small fortunate at this. "Bespoke" retail is really hard. The only way to do it I think is to position yourself as some kind of exclusive club. You come in by appointment (you could have many customers in the store, but spots are reserved). Minimum deposit to get a seat is $100; you can apply it to a purchase or put it on a gift card. But you need skin in the game.

Otherwise people can and will abuse you. I sold retail for a while and realized that many people will take advantage of you if you let them.

Apr 26, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #1,528 of 1,793
If we could start with a large fortune we could make a small fortunate at this. "Bespoke" retail is really hard. The only way to do it I think is to position yourself as some kind of exclusive club. You come in by appointment (you could have many customers in the store, but spots are reserved). Minimum deposit to get a seat is $100; you can apply it to a purchase or put it on a gift card. But you need skin in the game.

Otherwise people can and will abuse you. I sold retail for a while and realized that many people will take advantage of you if you let them.
nice, I will let you know if that will come to fruition. I was thinking doing it through online and brick and mortar.

maybe partner with head fi, to make it easier. However, will probably stock $2000 and under. It will be hard to sell anything price tagged above those in the specialty store selling Chi Fi.

Apr 26, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #1,529 of 1,793
none around my area, but they have one in downtown LA, but again limited Chifi.

anyway, found the culprit, BTR5 made LZ A7 super hot... I did not know that. Listening directly from my Iphone, sounds wonderful but again with my standard black monitor on monitor mode. I have to use KZ starline, for some reasons eartips supplied by LZ, none fits my preference.

do you use the A7 at high gain or low gain on the BTR5?

Apr 26, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #1,530 of 1,793
do you use the A7 at high gain or low gain on the BTR5?
OMG thanks chinmie, I put A7 with high gain as like other IEM. I did not realize A7 is very sensitive IEMs.
Thanks I put it on low gain, and all the distortions are gone, now this is much better than Believe or any other IEMs that I have, even better with BTR5.

Thanks a lot chinmie :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back