LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 4, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #1,321 of 5,225
I would second nealh, that the A4 isn't the best thing since sliced bread with nutella served by hottest waitress in town, but you might as well know she has a crush on you.

Before I got distracted by that hot nutella woman, I wanted to add that these are easily, easily recommended because of what they offer under 200$.
Really good sound, good comfort (already puts us to bed!) and feels solid. They are my easy recommendation for outside beaters.

Jan 4, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #1,322 of 5,225
After a months of waiting.... my pair is finally here :D. For those that did, how does one remove the velco strap on the wire? Do people use the default tips?

Btw mine came with Black (Back) Blue (Front) by default, shall try this out first

So excited to take this out for a spin :D :D :D

Jan 4, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #1,323 of 5,225
Just a follow-up question to those who are going with no back filter and using either green/black or blue front filters, what are your thoughts after a few days?

Do you see any concerns about damage to the IEM, do you lose Too much isolation etc.?

Fantastic to the point where I am not going back. The soundstage is out-of the world. They are not the most balanced sounding. But they are fun as hell.
I don't care about isolation at this point. I use the FLC8s for everything on-the-road. My A4 are now the "replacement" for full-sized headphones, and thus only used at home.

Jan 4, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #1,324 of 5,225
I would second nealh, that the A4 isn't the best thing since sliced bread with nutella served by hottest waitress in town, but you might as well know she has a crush on you.

Before I got distracted by that hot nutella woman, I wanted to add that these are easily, easily recommended because of what they offer under 200$.
Really good sound, good comfort (already puts us to bed!) and feels solid. They are my easy recommendation for outside beaters.

I don't think they are all that great as outside beaters. Of course you won't have too many problems with them on the road. However, they do cause quite a bit of wind-noise. I wish there was a standard 2-pin connector instead of the MMCX. Maybe the A4S does use it. Who knows. (If it ever gets released)

Jan 4, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #1,325 of 5,225
Fantastic to the point where I am not going back. The soundstage is out-of the world. They are not the most balanced sounding. But they are fun as hell.
I don't care about isolation at this point. I use the FLC8s for everything on-the-road. My A4 are now the "replacement" for full-sized headphones, and thus only used at home.

Out of interest, what full size headphone were you using that these have replaced?

Jan 4, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #1,327 of 5,225
I don't think they are all that great as outside beaters. Of course you won't have too many problems with them on the road. However, they do cause quite a bit of wind-noise. I wish there was a standard 2-pin connector instead of the MMCX. Maybe the A4S does use it. Who knows.

I get a good seal using spin fit, I can also say that my Dn2000 had better isolation. I prefer the groovy sound of the A4, good for swagger ofcourse

Jan 4, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #1,328 of 5,225
I get a good seal using spin fit, I can also say that my Dn2000 had better isolation. I prefer the groovy sound of the A4, good for swagger ofcourse

Fitment is fine. But when I was jogging with them, the windnoise got really annoying. Also the ruffed edges of the backfilters were slightly hindering.

Jan 4, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #1,329 of 5,225

Could you elabrate on the replacement to full sized headphones with A4 in terms of SQ?
It will be very interesting and it will be regarded as bold comparison which might provoke some people with much expensive headphones.

Definitely there is no reason not to compare.

Jan 4, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #1,330 of 5,225
I personally don't see the point in comparing IEM's with full size cans but fwiw the A4 are the only IEM's I can think of right now that doesn't feel like a compromise when I start listening to them after having listened to headphones......

Edit: Just for the record I'm not provoked by people doing these comparisons I just can't be bothered to do them myself :wink:

Jan 4, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #1,331 of 5,225
Could you elabrate on the replacement to full sized headphones with A4 in terms of SQ?
It will be very interesting and it will be regarded as bold comparison which might provoke some people with much expensive headphones.

Definitely there is no reason not to compare.

Like I mentioned earlier, the only true A/B comparision I can give is with my T50rp. Due to being modded to my personal needs (slightly midforward from 1.5kHz to 3.5kHz, neutral bass), comparing them to the A4 is difficult in both tonality and in general.
However I can tell you that the A4 is very much comparible with some the better closed-back headphones I have listened to, at least in soundstage width and depth. (With no backfilters attached)
That statement is fairly meaningless on its own. So take this however you like.

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #1,333 of 5,225
Ah screw it. Ordered from Penon. As mentioned before, I'd rather just get these and be done with IEM's. I don't have Golden Ears so anything better than these would likely be wasted on me anyway.

Hopefully these will be my end game IEM and last me a LONG time!

Now I need to re-read the thread as I haven't got a clue what filters I want, I'm not techie enough to know about frequencies etc. Any advice on biggest soundstage, a lot of bass, nice treble but not piercing and vocals to be clear?

The fullest bass extension with a filter is Red.
For excellent high end with no fatigue/brightness would be Black or Green filters.

FUYU reports best overall soundstage is no filter on the Back. Then choose either Black, Blue or Green front filters.

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #1,334 of 5,225
Question for my A4 friends: do any of you own the wood IEMs from JVC? I'm thinking of snagging a pair and wondered if anyone who has heard the A4 can tell me how they compare? Similar price and I've always wanted to try them :)

-Collin-

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #1,335 of 5,225
I personally don't see the point in comparing IEM's with full size cans but fwiw the A4 are the only IEM's I can think of right now that doesn't feel like a compromise when I start listening to them after having listened to headphones......

Edit: Just for the record I'm not provoked by people doing these comparisons I just can't be bothered to do them myself :wink:

... just to clarify: you are not suggesting that any full size headphone is better than any IEM (in general) are you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back