LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 3, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #1,291 of 5,225
Ordered mine at 2am on the 21st? Received it 4pm on the 24th (all in December ofcourse). It was the best Christmas self spoil...thanks to Penon Audio. Great email response too!

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #1,293 of 5,225
The language regarding the A4 has been really positive.  What drove me to order it was the consistency of the language from the older reviews to the newer reviews and with the posts on this thread and impressions like those of @Jackpot77
's.

I am holding my expectations back, which are kind of high, and keeping them at an excited curiosity.  I have been let down by hype as well, and it's one of the reasons I hold myself back from what to expect.

But I can't wait to get them in the mail:p  and see what all the talk is about.

I can say Penonaudio was a pleasure to order from.

I did the same as you and ordered after reading the reviews and impressions and have been pretty happy with them since I received them, though still trying to get a handle on which filters I like most.

Figured I would respond to you specifically because I know over in the pm4 thread that the upper mids/highs were too forward for you there and I can confirm that it's not the case with these. These are very smooth and filter choice can make them even smoother and warmer if desired.

I don't have anything totl to compare to, and while these aren't my absolute preferred signature (that still goes to the it03) they are very enjoyable to listen to and I'm sure I will enjoy them more as I adjust to the signature.

And I agree, penon was an absolute joy to work with. Very responsive and it shipped rather fast to the east coast of the US (though I did make the mistake of ordering 2 days before Christmas, so I had an initial delay of about a week before it shipped, totally on me for that one)

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #1,294 of 5,225
I did the same as you and ordered after reading the reviews and impressions and have been pretty happy with them since I received them, though still trying to get a handle on which filters I like most.

Figured I would respond to you specifically because I know over in the pm4 thread that the upper mids/highs were too forward for you there and I can confirm that it's not the case with these. These are very smooth and filter choice can make them even smoother and warmer if desired.

I don't have anything totl to compare to, and while these aren't my absolute preferred signature (that still goes to the it03) they are very enjoyable to listen to and I'm sure I will enjoy them more as I adjust to the signature.

And I agree, penon was an absolute joy to work with. Very responsive and it shipped rather fast to the east coast of the US (though I did make the mistake of ordering 2 days before Christmas, so I had an initial delay of about a week before it shipped, totally on me for that one)

I actually overlooked the IT-03, which looked really really good on the frequency graph, and I wanted to know which male vocal presentation did you like more from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjRHyMrLkjk

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #1,295 of 5,225
I actually overlooked the IT-03, which looked really really good on the frequency graph, and I wanted to know which male vocal presentation did you like more from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjRHyMrLkjk

I haven't had enough time with the a4 yet to give you info about that (and I'm in bed so I'll have to check tomorrow). I think what I like about the it03 is that the overall signature is more neutral which keeps the treble more forward than the a4, which makes them sound more detailed and clear. But what I like the most is the subbass extension. I just find the bass very pleasing without overpowering anything.

Not a dig on the a4 at all, I really like them, I just haven't had a ton of time with them. And to keep the bass extension I have only really played with the red filters, which has the effect of making them quite a bit warmer than I would otherwise choose.

So sorry, can't really answer your question about male vocals because I haven't really spent enough time with filters and I suspect that my personal filter choices might keep the mids a bit recessed on the a4.

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #1,296 of 5,225
fair enough. I originally started with a V-Shaped premium iem (though I love subs>mid-bass). I eventually fell in love with balanced, natural vs. completely neutral. I think at this point on, I neeeeeeeeed a good healthy dose of mids (like say fresh orange juice in the morning). A4, while being not the most detailed, has been pretty good so far.

One can easily (/at worst) critique A4 as a smooth jack of all trades/master-of-none, but offers such a wide sound and plenty of smooth energy that can make you groove, dance, bop your head, tap your feet...so yeah...how can we not fall in love with this? 

It's nice to see other brands offer something ambitious...LZ-A4 proposes something healthy instead...

like a freshly squeezed orange juice in the morning.

in
your
ear.

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #1,297 of 5,225
Ordered mine at 2am on the 21st? Received it 4pm on the 24th (all in December ofcourse). It was the best Christmas self spoil...thanks to Penon Audio. Great email response too!

Did you order through Aliexpress? And you opted for express shipping?

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #1,298 of 5,225
Yea I gotcha. Everyone seems to be raving about the green front filters lately, but I find that even though they bring the mids forward a bit, they sound kind of muffled with the red back filters probably because it produces a very warm signature that way (for me at least). Perhaps I need to try the black backs with the front greens, though I do worry about reducing bass extension more than I would like.

Either way, back to work tomorrow for me and the a4's will be joining me so it should give me plenty of time to listen and play with them.

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #1,299 of 5,225
So is there a general consensus on which filters are a safe stock option for me to try first..
Tbh i'm kind of skeptical at the moment on these still since there weren't many reviews and thinking a few replies here could be people from the company/paid but took a gamble anyway.
Keen to post a straight up (non technical) post about it as i'm sure there are alot more people on the fence about purchasing it vs purchasing a more known brand.

Yeah I was kinda thinking the same thing. Obviously there's some who bought the A4's but there's a few who were testing the prototype too whose opinions and reviews might be slightly different had they not been given special access.

I think I'll wait for more reviews from people buying the A4's and see if reviews appear on websites. These are just too expensive for me to get sucked into a hype train movement but I was very close to cancelling my 1More Triple order and buying these last night.

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #1,300 of 5,225
Yea I gotcha. Everyone seems to be raving about the green front filters lately, but I find that even though they bring the mids forward a bit, they sound kind of muffled with the red back filters probably because it produces a very warm signature that way (for me at least). Perhaps I need to try the black backs with the front greens, though I do worry about reducing bass extension more than I would like.

Either way, back to work tomorrow for me and the a4's will be joining me so it should give me plenty of time to listen and play with them.

I started off with blue fronts, then moved to green. I enjoyed the green very much, a smooth, precise but unchallenging listen. However, after a couple of days (with a fair bit of listening) I started to miss the extra definition that the blues provide, so I swapped back (both green and blue being used with comply foams). First time round with the blues I had found the sig to be a tiny bit harsh to my ears (bear in mind I LOVE the Nighthawks and so favour a less pronounced high end). Second time round, they were spot on for me and I don't think I'll go back to the greens.

And how fantastic to have so much choice and control over sound sig! So impressed with the A4s!!!

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #1,301 of 5,225
Did you order through Aliexpress? And you opted for express shipping?

By preference, I opted with Penon Audio. Threw in 10$ more, and have never looked back ever since.

Truly pleasant dealing with them. I even received a Christmas card! Yasss

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #1,302 of 5,225
By preference, I opted with Penon Audio. Threw in 10$ more, and have never looked back ever since.

Truly pleasant dealing with them. I even received a Christmas card! Yasss

Yes Penon are a class above the other online stores I've dealt with

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #1,303 of 5,225
I think I'll wait for more reviews from people buying the A4's and see if reviews appear on websites. These are just too expensive for me to get sucked into a hype train movement but I was very close to cancelling my 1More Triple order and buying these last night.

For what it's worth, unless you're a basshead, I don't think you could be disappointed with these IEMs. I've had/tried Shozy Zeros, Sendiy M2s and Havi B3 Pro1s.

Zeros are the winners in this price range - loved them.
Havis were initially impressive but I think the right driver is stuffed since they buzz at certain frequencies. Soundstage was ONLY impressive with Spiral Dot tips.
Sendiys were tricky - neutral filter is too neutral, bass filter too bassy. However, a nice fun earphone, great for exercising.

Now, the A4s are about 4 times the price of any of the others but my LORD they really deliver. They will reproduce bass beautifully but not as overly-pronounced as on the Sendiys. They are very accurate (to my ears) without being fatiguing. Bass has punch, mids do not suffer. Soundstage is MUCH more impressive than the Havis. Maybe (don't shoot me here folks)...maybe the Zeros have a wider soundstage but the A4s really have a decent sense of height and depth as well.

I held off for a while, preferring to test the waters of cheaper Chinese earphones with the (quickly tries to divide 400 by 6)....sub $66 offerings. I felt I couldn't really justify the outlay on the A4s. Then someone (I think over in the Chinese IEM thread) said the A4s were the bomb, and those of us picking up multiple cheaper pairs should save up a bit and just grab the A4s. Very glad I did as suggested - I'm sorted for earphones now. I can at least assure you that they are not hyped up, they are simply lovely lovely IEMs.

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #1,304 of 5,225
For what it's worth, unless you're a basshead, I don't think you could be disappointed with these IEMs. I've had/tried Shozy Zeros, Sendiy M2s and Havi B3 Pro1s.

Zeros are the winners in this price range - loved them.
Havis were initially impressive but I think the right driver is stuffed since they buzz at certain frequencies. Soundstage was ONLY impressive with Spiral Dot tips.
Sendiys were tricky - neutral filter is too neutral, bass filter too bassy. However, a nice fun earphone, great for exercising.

Now, the A4s are about 4 times the price of any of the others but my LORD they really deliver. They will reproduce bass beautifully but not as overly-pronounced as on the Sendiys. They are very accurate (to my ears) without being fatiguing. Bass has punch, mids do not suffer. Soundstage is MUCH more impressive than the Havis. Maybe (don't shoot me here folks)...maybe the Zeros have a wider soundstage but the A4s really have a decent sense of height and depth as well.

I held off for a while, preferring to test the waters of cheaper Chinese earphones with the (quickly tries to divide 400 by 6)....sub $66 offerings. I felt I couldn't really justify the outlay on the A4s. Then someone (I think over in the Chinese IEM thread) said the A4s were the bomb, and those of us picking up multiple cheaper pairs should save up a bit and just grab the A4s. Very glad I did as suggested - I'm sorted for earphones now. I can at least assure you that they are not hyped up, they are simply lovely lovely IEMs.

Thanks for that post. I'm actually using Shozy Zero's now. Would you say it's a waste moving to 1More Triple's then? Worth just going all out and getting A4's and be done?

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #1,305 of 5,225
Thanks for that post. I'm actually using Shozy Zero's now. Would you say it's a waste moving to 1More Triple's then?

Ah, I have not heard the 1More Triple's. I do really like the Zero's though. I bought three pairs as gifts and of course had a listen while burning them in. Cracking earphones for the price, and that soundstage!!! I need to listen to them again to directly compare with the soundstage on the A4s.

So yes, Triples I don't know. Zero compared to A4, I'd say is like video at 480p compared to video at 1080p. Plus the option of tuning to suit your tastes/needs. And that more three dimensional presentation.

I'd say stick with the Zeros for six months and save a little each month - then see what else is around and what other info is available about the A4 and maybe reconsider picking them up based on what you read. That's if you can resist buying more new gear for six months, and you are on Head-Fi so....well, you know.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back