LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 1, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #1,216 of 5,225
Jackpot77
I'm very impressed you are comparing a $200 IEM so positively to an $800-1000 IEM.
Amazing the LZ-A4 stands up so well to a CampFire audio product.

Jan 1, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #1,217 of 5,225
Jackpot77
I'm very impressed you are comparing a $200 IEM so positively to an $800-1000 IEM.

that is because the dorado is overpriced to start off with.

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #1,219 of 5,225
This sub-bass hack is for you LZ-A4 owners that don't mind a little bit of wear discomfort and perhaps looking a little bit ridiculous...

...but I was trying to avoid some room noise the other day, so I put my 3M X5A earmuffs over the A4's (foam tips, open back, blue nozzle) and gained a fantastic jump in the sub/bass while losing none of the balance in the mids/his.

YMMV, but I've found it really pleasant with some of my favorite jazz records (kind of blue, etc). Worth trying if you want a bit more rumble/thump in your listening.  Probably just something I'll do now and then as it can be a bit uncomfortable for long-term listening.

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #1,220 of 5,225
I am still laughing at the "going commando" comment. Sheesh, what's next you guys? Remove the front filters and use no tips? 
beerchug.gif

-Collin-

Jan 2, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #1,222 of 5,225
Conversely, lots of things are overpriced.

As I said, many people just try to compare a4 with those overpriced products. But the real benefit for our customers from those Chinese diy products is that the price of international earphones market has been pulled down. So I support any cost effective products. Cheers

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #1,223 of 5,225
No backs now, green filter ascends the front filter list, and road works muffs.
A lot changes in 3 days !

HARDCORE dialers in here. 

Jan 2, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #1,224 of 5,225
Jackpot77

It's the law of diminishing returns at work. I don't have a set of golden ears unfortunately, so I can't hear the sound of a feather settling on the grass a free miles away in turkey plucking season, so just going on what I hear.

The differential between "good" and. "great" gets a massive amount smaller with gear over $200-300 judging by the stuff I have been able to hear so far, so like with sportscars or gaming PCs (both of which I'm not rich enough to own either!) it is the last few MPH or %age in performance that you pay the big money for. If you never drive over the speed limit, 90% of the time you won't notice the "missing" power anyway.

Random analogy, but hope it makes sense - Dorado are excellent (and priced in line with similar "TOTL" gear), but the A4 would fit the needs of most audiophile listeners without any glaring holes or issues. Beautifully engineered piece of gear.

Jan 2, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #1,225 of 5,225
Its hard to not up the Red / Back - Green / Fronts to a dangerous listening level because the bass and treble is so unobtrusive and the mids just scream for more volume and once they get it they just become magical
gs1000.gif

Warning: Don't turn them up too much and don't listen to emotional songs with them or you might cry uncontrollably...

Sitting at work just having them turned up while listening to the new bassnecter album crying at almost every song because it just sounds so darn dare i say perfect. The album is supposed to be emotional and the Green / Fronts bring out every single bit of emotion in the songs. I think i can never go back to any other filter besides green. Its always Christmas from now on... (geddit, because of the Red and Green comb)

EDIT: If someone has experience with acoustics, i'd love to know how a simple decrease in nozzle size which lets through the sound changes the signature completely.. 

Blue unfiltered: About 4mm nozzle size, imo peaky treble, V-shaped signature, tinier soundimage compared to the greens, recessed mids
Geen unfiltered: About 2mm nozzle size, forward or present mids, smooth silky treble with no peaks at all (to my ears), big soundimage

Jan 2, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #1,227 of 5,225
It's the law of diminishing returns at work. I don't have a set of golden ears unfortunately, so I can't hear the sound of a feather settling on the grass a free miles away in turkey plucking season, so just going on what I hear.

The differential between "good" and. "great" gets a massive amount smaller with gear over $200-300 judging by the stuff I have been able to hear so far, so like with sportscars or gaming PCs (both of which I'm not rich enough to own either!) it is the last few MPH or %age in performance that you pay the big money for. If you never drive over the speed limit, 90% of the time you won't notice the "missing" power anyway.

Random analogy, but hope it makes sense - Dorado are excellent (and priced in line with similar "TOTL" gear), but the A4 would fit the needs of most audiophile listeners without any glaring holes or issues. Beautifully engineered piece of gear.

Great post. I am coming to learn the law diminishing returns. My are only becoming golden since I'm 52.
The fact you can hear some difference between them is impressive doubt I could.

I'm grateful the comparison as it reinforces my thoughts on how well done the A4 are.

@menuki, so your not going NO BACK filter and Green/Front anymore?

Jan 2, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #1,229 of 5,225
Great post. I am coming to learn the law diminishing returns. My are only becoming golden since I'm 52.
The fact you can hear some difference between them is impressive doubt I could.

I'm grateful the comparison as it reinforces my thoughts on how well done the A4 are.

@menuki, so your not going NO BACK filter and Green/Front anymore?

​For me, I usually "feel" the difference before I can objectively listen out and spot what it is. To use another analogy (it's just the way my brain works), It is like watching the same move on DVD and Bluray. The same stuff goes on, most of the time your attention is focused on whatever is going on centre-screen so the finer details pass you by, but when the occasional bit of shrapnel flies across the background in an action movie, you find your brain reading the serial number on it without noticing on the Bluray version. I "hear" a little scuff or line of acoustic guitar clearer on one IEM than on another, then go back and listen to the passage again to try and work out why I'm processing the sounds differently.

@warrior1975 wrote some interesting stuff on how he listens "critically" on the Campfire Vega thread a few weeks back if you can find it - he uses a Pink Floyd track with some PA style announcement in the background noise to test resolution on IEMs. It's little nuances like that in tracks you know well that make the difference - at the end of the day, if the overall experience is fun, the other stuff is just the final 5% anyway!

Jan 2, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #1,230 of 5,225
​For me, I usually "feel" the difference before I can objectively listen out and spot what it is. To use another analogy (it's just the way my brain works), It is like watching the same move on DVD and Bluray. The same stuff goes on, most of the time your attention is focused on whatever is going on centre-screen so the finer details pass you by, but when the occasional bit of shrapnel flies across the background in an action movie, you find your brain reading the serial number on it without noticing on the Bluray version. I "hear" a little scuff or line of acoustic guitar clearer on one IEM than on another, then go back and listen to the passage again to try and work out why I'm processing the sounds differently.

@warrior1975
 wrote some interesting stuff on how he listens "critically" on the Campfire Vega thread a few weeks back if you can find it - he uses a Pink Floyd track with some PA style announcement in the background noise to test resolution on IEMs. It's little nuances like that in tracks you know well that make the difference - at the end of the day, if the overall experience is fun, the other stuff is just the final 5% anyway!

So true. I don't have a lot to compare and no TOTL but when using the A73 vs A4 it's the finer details, the sharper clarity and I guess the term is the tighter defined bass and no part seems to intrude another that makes it a step up.
The extra $75 in that comparison makes a nice value difference in my eyes...oops, ears

Users who are viewing this thread

Back