LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 2, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #1,231 of 5,225
I received the Auvio eartips I ordered. They have a large bore opening with real nice comfort. Easier to get the correct feeling fit vs my spinfit

Auvio vs Spinfit( both large size)
I feel the are nice for mid and highs but I feel I lost some low thump from them. Maybe the seal is less isolating with Auvio and that leaks some of the bass?
I guess this is due to the larger bore.
The spinfit seems to enhance the low-end better than Audio and higher frequencies are as good. I'm having trouble deciding on the mids. I seem to have harder time deciding my perception of the mid range.
Vocals are ?? Slightly better on Auvio. Hmm maybe not. Maybe vocals are equal.

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #1,232 of 5,225
About the crossover technology, I try to search it in this thread, but didn't find any.

What kind of crossover does LZ A4 uses? By electronic circuit,  like ibasso it03? Or something else, like FLC8s?

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #1,233 of 5,225
I received the Auvio eartips I ordered. They have a large bore opening with real nice comfort. Easier to get the correct feeling fit vs my spinfit

Auvio vs Spinfit( both large size)
I feel the are nice for mid and highs but I feel I lost some low thump from them. Maybe the seal is less isolating with Auvio and that leaks some of the bass?
I guess this is due to the larger bore.
The spinfit seems to enhance the low-end better than Audio and higher frequencies are as good. I'm having trouble deciding on the mids. I seem to have harder time deciding my perception of the mid range.
Vocals are ?? Slightly better on Auvio. Hmm maybe not. Maybe vocals are equal.

Generally everything will be better with the tip that gives you the best seal.

Jan 2, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #1,234 of 5,225
Generally everything will be better with the tip that gives you the best seal.

OK that makes a lot of sense of course. I'm not sure If the spinfit's seal better but the bass is better with them. I am wondering out loud if that's the case or if the larger bore affects the bass and attenuated it a bit.

Jan 2, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #1,235 of 5,225
Lots of talk about comparing to $800 IEMs and I say, why not? I tried to compare the A4 to other $200 IEMs in my review, but I couldn't find any that would hold a candle to the A4. I was forced to compare to my more expensive ones for a fair fight (or unfair depending on how you look at it). I'll just reiterate that against the IE800, the IE800 may have walked away with a fraction more detail, but the A4 is the more universal and enjoyable IEM. Against the Velvet, again perhaps a tad more detail, but the A4 sounds better as an every day/every genre IEM. There weren't really any winners there, just different, and none walked away from the others in any test I did. 

I love the A4 so much. My favorite setup with it is the Centrance DACportable, blue (f) / red (b) and playing Tidal HiFi out of my phone. Heaven. 

-Collin-

Jan 2, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #1,236 of 5,225
Lots of talk about comparing to $800 IEMs and I say, why not? I tried to compare the A4 to other $200 IEMs in my review, but I couldn't find any that would hold a candle to the A4. I was forced to compare to my more expensive ones for a fair fight (or unfair depending on how you look at it). I'll just reiterate that against the IE800, the IE800 may have walked away with a fraction more detail, but the A4 is the more universal and enjoyable IEM. Against the Velvet, again perhaps a tad more detail, but the A4 sounds better as an every day/every genre IEM. There weren't really any winners there, just different, and none walked away from the others in any test I did. 

I love the A4 so much. My favorite setup with it is the Centrance DACportable, blue (f) / red (b) and playing Tidal HiFi out of my phone. Heaven. 

-Collin-

Tidal subscription service is that good? Does it have a very large library of music at the hi-fi level?

Jan 2, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #1,237 of 5,225
Tidal subscription service is that good? Does it have a very large library of music at the hi-fi level?

I love it, it's been very good to me. It's just 16/44.1 FLAC, but works just fine for me and a very large library. I suggest a trial :)

-Collin-

Jan 2, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #1,238 of 5,225
Eventually I'll be doing brief comparisons in my own write up. I can see why curious folk want to put this with say the superb FLC8S, hybrid with plenty of configurations.

The comparisons just end there really. Each respective sound presentation is so different. I think the fact that we presented different comparisons basically outlined the fact that the LZ-A4 covers lots of good ground. Sure it may not be the most resolving but it comes close (never a slouch) and as Jackpot77 put it: the A4 has a fantastic coherence end-to-end.

How can one go wrong for under 200$ :wink:

Jan 2, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #1,239 of 5,225
Eventually I'll be doing brief comparisons in my own write up. I can see why curious folk want to put this with say the superb FLC8S, hybrid with plenty of configurations.

The comparisons just end there really. Each respective sound presentation is so different. I think the fact that we presented different comparisons basically outlined the fact that the LZ-A4 covers lots of good ground. Sure it may not be the most resolving but it comes close (never a slouch) and as Jackpot77 put it: the A4 has a fantastic coherence end-to-end.

How can one go wrong for under 200$ :wink:

I'd love to hear how it compares with clear/none/grey config. It sounds the most open which might be comparable with a4's soundstage.

Jan 2, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #1,240 of 5,225
I'd love to hear how it compares with clear/none/grey config. It sounds the most open which might be comparable with a4's soundstage.

Nah, the A4 is still superior in terms of soundstage. None(B)-Green(F) sounds very similar to Clear/None/Grey in terms of signature. Like 1TrickPony said, the FLC8s is a touch more resolving.

Jan 2, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #1,242 of 5,225

Sorry brotha, sent away the flc8s can't a/b them. From recent memory, presentation is very different: Flc8s having vocal as centerpiece with all other instruments distributed in a spherical manner, very holographic (aka just plain awesome).

A4 is dispersed widely from side to side. I don't really dig over ears as much that's why I find the A4 closer to a well reputed earbud like the Zen 2.0 when it comes to soundstage (to a good extent).

Flc sounds a bit more clinical and cleanly separated, whereas you get more coherence with an A4 just because it is what it is... So yeah different strokes for different folks.

On another note, these A4 sounds really evocative with strings! Black or green filters up the front...I like it!
Not big on chick flicks but love the bromance with ballads!

Jan 2, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #1,244 of 5,225
Wow. That's something. I might need to get me one.
It's too bad it doesn't have angled nozzle.

I just went from trinity audio Pm4 to this...and I don't miss the angled nozzle of the Pm4 as much. A4 can sit shallow and provide a superb presentation.

That said, I could not fully enjoy the Flc8s as much because of the fit, so others may enjoy them more. I, like yourself, LOVED the grey or clear ulf, the Red really didn't do for me...bass felt less fluid sounding.

Update: plays well with spin fits (a team player when it comes to most ear tips anyhow). I play around if I want bring down mids/bass ratio or vice versa...

willowbrook come on man, take a stab at this! We have yet to hear someone come out disappointed. Just don't expect an Flc8s copy cat, then yeah that might leave people disappointed. Lol

Update 2: buy it already! Lmao

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #1,245 of 5,225
I just went from trinity audio Pm4 to this...and I don't miss the angled nozzle of the Pm4 as much.

Update: plays well with spin fits (a team player when it comes to most ear tips anyhow). I play around if I want bring down mids/bass ratio or vice versa...

willowbrook come on man, take a stab at this! We have yet to hear someone come out disappointed. Just don't expect an Flc8s copy cat, then yeah that might leave people disappointed. Lol

Update 2: buy it already! Lmao

As for PM4 even with the angled fit those were less comfortable than the A4 for my anatomy. I think the comfort is good on the A4 but the straight insertion may affect fit for some, I was worried about that but turns out it was unfounded.

I find the SpinFits on the A4 to offer the best overall sound. I just got Auvio eartips with larger bore and the sound is nice but I think I like the spinfit better because the bass has more presence.

I know some have said the spinfit recesses the mids but that frequency is harder for me to make comments as compared to the lows and highs.

I'm waiting on JVC Spiral dots to see how these match

Obviously eartips are very individualized preference but the included tips with the A4 are MEH.

I still don't get the colors on them. Is it just to tell the size or are the inside bore size different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back